Your programming projects

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Your programming projects

Post by Travis B. »

As there was not a general thread for one's programming projects here already, I figured I would create one.

In my case, I am working on an IRC client named Amphibian. It is hosted at http://github.com/tabemann/amphibian. It is written in Haskell, and at this point is a work in progress, still not being in a state where it will compile much the less be of any use. The goal for it is to be scriptable and pluggable in Haskell (but at runtime, unlike XMonad and Yi which require restarting to load new code) and to support both terminals and GTK+, and currently I am starting work on the terminal frontend.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

schyrsivochter
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Your programming projects

Post by schyrsivochter »

I’m doing a Python implementation of Zompist’s SCA. The advantages are that it runs in a window, has a prettier layout, can save and load files, has hotkeys, and renameable tabs, and remembers everything on close and restart. The disadvantages are that it’s written in Python, so a Python installation is needed, and that you can’t enter Unicode characters directly (at least I cannot), only copy-paste them. I’m using it in favour of the Zompist’s SCA². It can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43876 and here: http://github.com/Schyrsivochter/PythonSCA.
My version of the SCA²

About my conlangs: No. 1 is my proto-language, and No. 4, my main conlang, is one of its descendants. I’m currently revising 4, calling it 4a.

bradrn
Niš
Niš

Post by bradrn »

I, too, have made a sound change applier - you can find it here. It uses the same syntax as zompist's sound change applier, but supports many advanced features such as syllabification, automatic declination/conjugation and implementing your own sound changes in Python.

malloc
Lebom
Lebom

Post by malloc »

I have been trying to teach myself programming on and off over the years as a hobby (hence the username being a reference to C dynamic memory allocation). My main project thus far has been a small calculator program that uses the shunting yard algorithm to evaluate arithmetic expressions.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Not my project, but since she might not mention it, I'll mention it for her: user Morrígan has developed a nice SCA, run from the command line, that reads script files of sound changes in a notation fairly similar to normal sound change notation. Supports metathesis!

https://github.com/samanthamccabe/toolbox-sca
The Haedus Toolbox SCA is a powerful, script-driven sound-change applier program implemented in Java. It supports UTF-8 natively and has a rule syntax designed for clarity and similarity to sound change notation in linguistics.

The Haedus SCA supports capabilities like multiple rule conditions, regular expressions, metathesis, unrestricted variable naming, and scripting but also allows novice users to ignore advanced functionality they do not need.
The latest PDF version of the manual is for the now out-dated 0.5.0 version. You can find the latest version of the manual, in TEX format, in the github link above.