Fun/interesting stories about language use

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Fun/interesting stories about language use

Post by Pole, the »

What will be next? Alo(ë) vera? :P
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Viktor77 wrote:
Cedh wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:But it was how they tried to be economic that was positively ridiculous. I've used that mayo for weeks and I only noticed the "(n)" a few days ago. Even if you needed the extra n, and no one does, you'd likely read right over it anyway (which with two labels at least you would be less likely to). It's just ridiculous to the extreme.
I drove through the east of Belgium about a week ago and came across a road sign with "Luxemb(o)urg" on it. Seems they're using those brackets systematically... ;-)
Should've taken a picture for me, I study that stuff. :P Just kidding but that is fascinating to know. Not to mention again entirely pointless. Can I guess you were near Eupen or Sankt Vith? Bilingual signs are only found in the Germanophone area, Brussels, and a handful of small border towns.
Yes, that was on the motorway from Verviers to Trier, close to St. Vith. I couldn't take a photo though because I was driving the car...

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Pole, the wrote:What will be next? Alo(ë) vera? :P
I imagine that or Aloe(ë) Vera, perhaps. Quite idiotic....:P

Cedh, of course, I was only joking.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Sglod wrote:
Yng wrote:
Sglod wrote: Not everyone is bilingual. My dad tried to buy a tractor from a bloke in Llanrwst, but he (the bloke, not my dad) was monolingual in Welsh. The bloke had to get his nephew round to translate.
How many years ago was this? I'd bet you any money he'll be dead now. In any case, monolinguals aren't generally the sort of people who make much use of public services - or, indeed, of motorways, in my experience.
It was only a few years ago and the bloke was in his 60s so I'll be having your money. :-D
hahaha OK te

I know a couple of ancient monolinguals too around the Trawsfynydd area - the sort of people who chase you with antique shotguns if you try and walk across their fields.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Pretty sure my thesis advisor went to some particular town (or at least place...) in Wales (don't remember which) just a few years ago where everyone spoke Welsh and someone even told him that you'd have difficulty making yourself understood there if you spoke only English.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Vijay wrote:Pretty sure my thesis advisor went to some particular town (or at least place...) in Wales (don't remember which) just a few years ago where everyone spoke Welsh and someone even told him that you'd have difficulty making yourself understood there if you spoke only English.
The sort of story everyone likes telling, but is rarely true. I mean, it's an exaggeration for narrative effect - I doubt there's anywhere in Wales where you'd actually struggle to make yourself understood (except with some old people in remote ish farming areas).
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Cedh wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:
Cedh wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:But it was how they tried to be economic that was positively ridiculous. I've used that mayo for weeks and I only noticed the "(n)" a few days ago. Even if you needed the extra n, and no one does, you'd likely read right over it anyway (which with two labels at least you would be less likely to). It's just ridiculous to the extreme.
I drove through the east of Belgium about a week ago and came across a road sign with "Luxemb(o)urg" on it. Seems they're using those brackets systematically... ;-)
Should've taken a picture for me, I study that stuff. :P Just kidding but that is fascinating to know. Not to mention again entirely pointless. Can I guess you were near Eupen or Sankt Vith? Bilingual signs are only found in the Germanophone area, Brussels, and a handful of small border towns.
Yes, that was on the motorway from Verviers to Trier, close to St. Vith. I couldn't take a photo though because I was driving the car...
When me and my family were driving through the Germanophone part of Belgium on our way to Germany, we passed bilingual signage with the French graffitoed out, so that they only read "Trier", say. Driving through Belgium was an interesting experience in and of itself, as my dad was rather confused at the letters on the road telling us that the road went to "Luik".. until he realised that that is the Flemish for "Liège".
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

So is this thread supposed to be for stories about other people's use of language, or can it be about ourselves, too?

Well, okay, I guess there's at least one other thread for that in the L&L Museum. But I'm kind of confused about what the purpose of this thread is anyway. :P