Can the ALC be read by itself?

Discussions worth keeping around later.
AI-student
Niš
Niš

Can the ALC be read by itself?

Post by AI-student »

So basically what the title says: Can it be read by itself or should I first read the normal non-advanced Language Construction Kit?

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Can the ALC be read by itself?

Post by mèþru »

The ALC occasionally references pages from the LCK and assumes that you have the level of background in linguistics provided by the LCK (what is a phoneme, what are metaphors of basic cognition, etc.) I guess in theory it is doable, but you probably either know too little to understand it or know so much that the ALC isn't worth your time.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Axiem
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Axiem »

The first LCK is, in my opinion, a much better introduction to conlanging. It's fairly broad in topic choice, but it gives you a reasonable start.

The ALCK delves more into depth on certain topics, which can be useful if you want more information on those topics.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Yeah, depends on how much you know already. If you've had some linguistics, you can certainly skip the LCK.

(If it was your first linguistics/conlanging book, well, make sure you read up on phonetics and the comparative method sometime... and I personally hope you'll return for the semantics and pragmatics.)