Discrimination (from garden path thread and elsewhere)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Discrimination (from garden path thread)

Post by mèþru »

This was wrtieen before Travis' reply.
jal wrote:
mèþru wrote:I know that there are legal differences between these concepts, but this comes from legal redefining the word speech.
I'm not sure why you think this is "redefining", as there is no "natural" definition of speech (this is a language forum, I assume you are not so daft as to try to quote a dictionary).
What I mean is that the law uses what I think of as a non-intuitive and uncommon meaning, possibly not in usage before free speech had to be defined in a court case. Outside of the legal context, I usually hear something that encompasses all oral, signed and written communication, including speech acts. Therefore, free speech would imply the freedom of speech acts as well, and the freedom to spread libel, or claim that cocaine wine is a contraceptive while wearing a metaphorical teacher's hat. One thing that I hate about legal systems, in general, is their tendency to use language which their average citizens (excluding those who didn't complete high school) cannot understand and find counterintuitive.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I think you need to show that this indeed was the original usage of the term.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I can't support my own argument based it being original, but looking on it again, it was a terrible argument in the first place. It is what is the common, intuitive definition in the present which matters (it would make an interesting survey, but I don't think I can prove that either)
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

mèþru wrote:What I mean is that the law uses what I think of as a non-intuitive and uncommon meaning
Law is a specific area, with its own terminology. Law typically isn't formulated in "intuitive" language, nor can it be, as "intuitive" language is typically very imprecise. You can't have that in law. (A similar thing is "theory" in science, where millions of people shout "it's just a theory" when the topic of evolution is up.)
mèþru wrote:It is what is the common, intuitive definition in the present which matters (it would make an interesting survey, but I don't think I can prove that either)
The thing is, people don't understand "free speech", neither the concept nor the implications.

JAL

cunningham
Lebom
Lebom

Post by cunningham »

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

I'm at loss to understand what your intention is with this...

JAL

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

My original reaction was that this was somehow an inept attempt to argue that we should have legislation against, in this case, racist speech in general. But then I realized this was cunningham posting, and that seemed inconsistent with cunningham's posting pattern here at all.

cunningham
Lebom
Lebom

Post by cunningham »

My point was

a) If you don't like something, walk away
b) Need some comedic relief because this conversation is getting a little too technical

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

It's not so simple. When it's someone who has power or authority over you, you cannot just walk away. When it's someone who works with you or studies in the same classes as you, you cannot just walk away.

cunningham
Lebom
Lebom

Post by cunningham »

Words are only offensive when you make them offensive. If someone calls me a faggot, I won't hesitate to laugh it off. There's no point in 2016 to get offended by words over the Internet.

If your boss or colleague is blackmailing you, that is a different story. That is how cyberbullying should be defined, not saying "words"

The Marxists in Academia keep redefining words. Racism used to mean feeling that your race is superior to other races. Now it's just "prejudice + power" or "white people". Rape used to mean "penetrating sex without consent". Now it's become synonymous to sexual assault and trivialized to the point where catcalling is considered rape as well. And now cyberbullying means "someone said something mean to me on the internet." Hate speech is now "someone has a different opinion than me"

And then comes censorship and forcing people to use pronouns and bla bla bla slippery slope I know. This is how totalitarianism begins.

Welcome to 1984.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

cunningham wrote:Marxists in Academia
Again, Marxists aren't everywhere, and Academia is where social change is popularized, whereas its source is people who actually take action against discrimination rather than denounce it.
cunningham wrote:If your boss or colleague is blackmailing you, that is a different story. That is how cyberbullying should be defined, not saying "words"
If someone's words are causing people to kill themselves, it doesn't matter if they are actually threatening someone or merely taunting.
cunningham wrote:Racism used to mean feeling that your race is superior to other races. Now it's just "prejudice + power" or "white people". Rape used to mean "penetrating sex without consent". Now it's become synonymous to sexual assault and trivialized to the point where catcalling is considered rape as well. Hate speech is now "someone has a different opinion than me"
None of these are true, and calling an opposing view "hatred" is an old trick employed by people all across the political spectrum.
cunningham wrote:And now cyberbullying means "someone said something mean to me on the internet."
I have no idea about how true this is, but I definitely think that you narrow down what cyberbullying is too much.
kårroť

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I have yet to understand what it is about conlanging and linguistics that apparently attracts racists...:P

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

cunningham wrote:(words)
Basically you are saying online bullying doesn't exist because you personally can shrug it off. That's insensitive and denying reality. Also, it is invalidating people who actually got PTSD from online bullying, or killed themselves. It's really great, cunningham, that you yourself are immune to the garbage some people receive, but this is not about you, and when your opinions all basically come down to "because I feel that way", you could as well give the world a big finger and shut up.
Marxists (...) totalitarianism
Yeah yeah, bla bla. Get off your high horse please, nobody's listening.

JAL

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

To me the problem with the term cyberbullying is that it implies that it is special somehow and thus needing differentiation from normal bullying, which people can too get PTSD or kill themselves as a result of.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Vijay wrote:I have yet to understand what it is about conlanging and linguistics that apparently attracts racists...:P
It's on the Internet, where anonymity is normal.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Travis B. wrote:To me the problem with the term cyberbullying is that it implies that it is special somehow and thus needing differentiation from normal bullying, which people can too get PTSD or kill themselves as a result of.
Do you really think that using the term cyberbullying implies that normal bullying doesn't cause PTSD or suicides? I think it's a useful term inasmuch for normal bullying you need physical presence, and it often involves physical abuse, while for cyberbullying, the bully doesn't need to be physically near the victim.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

hwhatting wrote:
Travis B. wrote:To me the problem with the term cyberbullying is that it implies that it is special somehow and thus needing differentiation from normal bullying, which people can too get PTSD or kill themselves as a result of.
Do you really think that using the term cyberbullying implies that normal bullying doesn't cause PTSD or suicides? I think it's a useful term inasmuch for normal bullying you need physical presence, and it often involves physical abuse, while for cyberbullying, the bully doesn't need to be physically near the victim.
I think that focusing on cyberbullying takes attention away from normal bullying, when they should both get attention, together.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Travis B. wrote:
hwhatting wrote:
I think that focusing on cyberbullying takes attention away from normal bullying, when they should both get attention, together.
Well, like with all issues, in some circumstances it's more reasonable to treat them together (especially where physical bullying and cyberbullying come together, or when discussing the attitudes leading to bullying or the damage done by it), and in other circumstances it's more reasonable to treat them separately (especially when talking about technical methods of preventing them or about policing the spaces where they happen).

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

hwhatting wrote:
Travis B. wrote:
hwhatting wrote:
Well, like with all issues, in some circumstances it's more reasonable to treat them together (especially where physical bullying and cyberbullying come together, or when discussing the attitudes leading to bullying or the damage done by it), and in other circumstances it's more reasonable to treat them separately (especially when talking about technical methods of preventing them or about policing the spaces where they happen).
Well yes, I would agree with viewing them in this manner.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Decision 2016 (Latest: Hillary v Trump)

Post by Travis B. »

Umm isn't claiming that all white people are fascists and white supremacists racism against white people, in that ascribes a particular nature to white people as a whole, as if races could even have natures in the first place, rather than to various white people as individuals? Or are you one of those people who insist that only white people can be racist?

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote:Umm isn't claiming that all white people are fascists and white supremacists racism against white people
Whether it is or isn't is moot because he didn't claim that. Try again.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

linguoboy wrote:
Travis B. wrote:Umm isn't claiming that all white people in American society are fascists and white supremacists racism against white people
Whether it is or isn't is moot because he didn't claim that. Try again.
Okay, I forgot the mention of "in American society". Or maybe you are somehow trying to differentiate between "all white people in American society are fascists and white supremacists" and claiming that all white people in American society have "fascist tendencies and white supremacist beliefs", and if you are, I do not know what you are attempting to get at.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

thetha wrote:Travis--
-It's one thing to say that all members of a class have some quality and another to say that this quality is a part of their "nature". If there's any non-trivial sense in which things have natures, it certainly doesn't include 'literally any relational quality they happen to have', e.g. I can affirm that all white people are within 50 billion miles of the Sun, weigh under 5000 pounds, contain at least one cell, etc. but I don't see how I'm affirming that this is in their nature. The fact that you decided to ignore Chagen's qualifier that these beliefs are "thanks to [their] culture" is nothing short of intellectual dishonesty.
But "thanks to [their] culture" is implying that that culture, in that form, is universal to all white people in America; it seems to be splitting hairs to distinguish between a nature of white people in America and a quality universal to all white people in American because of a culture they univerally share. In the end you are speaking of all white people in America as a group rather than as individuals regardless (because if it was as individuals, then it would be left open for some white Americans to not share said culture).

dwk
Sanci
Sanci

Post by dwk »

Chagen wrote:not counting the continued genocide of non-whites committed by the American police every day, of course
Aren't most black people killed by other black people?

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Some of the police involved were black themselves. Most police are not the terrible people in the news. What is needed is more measures to counteract violent and racist officers and for innocent policemen to condemn their dangerous bretheren. There is a problem of systematic racism against minotities, but the extent Chagen is talking about is exaggerated to such a large extent that it is like saying that Pluto is too small to be a planet: it is the size of an atom. Such attitudes only harm the peace by promoting hatred of white people and offending non-racist white people. Think about what would happen if someone said the following:
Black society is also by definition black supremacist. That doesn't mean that blacks are lynching white people in the streets (though I don't doubt they would if it weren't discouraged socially), but one of the most core fundamental tenets of both African-American society and Black society as a whole is the supremacy of Black people (enforced by civil rights leaders--that's indeed their main purpose), with the other social races below them. That is why whites are socially disadvantaged as a whole. It's not active virulent hatred, but more of an overarching society hierarchy that pervades all aspects of life silently.

People support these black supremacists out of the desperate fear that whites will take away their livelihood and jobs (hence their rhetoric about all whites being evil racists). They have no policies to speak of, their narcissistic rapists, and they have the verbal faculties of third-graders. No one supports them for their policies. They represent an idealized America that Blacks dream of: a world where those self-righteous, racist, white liberals and conservatives and other races know their place, where everyone has a stable job and plenty of money, and where the social order is maintained at all costs. Ironically, mant of their supporters are poorer Blacks who will be royally fucked over by their policies, but fascists never cared for the people they courted with demagoguery--they were always useful idiots to get them into power.

(white supremacist figure) really was right. Fascism really did come to America wrapped in the chains of slavery; the chains that will kill whites. I guarantee you that if black supremacists continue to grow in power, within 50 years Robert Mugabe 2.0 will win the American office and we'll have a second holocaust on our hands. The idea that one could find (white supremacist figure) distateful is hilarious idiotic, given that their opponents are the potential harbringers of another horrific genocide little over a century since the last one (not counting the continued genocide of whites committed by black thugs every day, of course).
The quote is obviously far from being a perfect anology and probably is somewhat unfair. I definitely do not endorse the position that is advocated by my fictitious quote. Yet the fact that it is so similar to Chagen's that is should make people think twice about saying either of these.
Last edited by mèþru on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
kårroť