Music styles, etc

Discussions worth keeping around later.
احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Music styles, etc

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

jal wrote:
Hahaha, what a bullshit. That's all so mainstreamy...

JAL
Yea... electro prog rock and dark bass are mainstream... or conspiracy rock...
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

احمکي ارش-ھجن wrote:Yea... electro prog rock and dark bass are mainstream... or conspiracy rock...
You can slap any name onto it you want, but there's really nothing extraordinary going on there. The names are far more rediculous than the music itself.

JAL

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

jal wrote:
احمکي ارش-ھجن wrote:Yea... electro prog rock and dark bass are mainstream... or conspiracy rock...
You can slap any name onto it you want, but there's really nothing extraordinary going on there. The names are far more rediculous than the music itself.
Before long there will be more named genres of recorded music than there are recording artists.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Aren't ther already? I think I found a link to post-post-post something somewhere once.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Lich
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Lich »

The only "post-post" thing I've ever encountered was post-postmodernism, and it's ridiculous as it is. I doubt anything with more than two (hell, even one) posts- warrants credibility.
Karajakor dazaran

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

jal wrote:

JAL
I think the world of music has long run out of "extraordinary", now you just have things filling in the gaps.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

احمکي ارش-ھجن wrote:now you just have things filling in the gaps.
I wouldn't consider it "gaps" though.

JAL

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

احمکي ارش-ھجن wrote:
jal wrote:

JAL
I think the world of music has long run out of "extraordinary"
But why is this? That's the point of this thread. Because of course it's hardly as though modern pop music filled the gamut of what was possible in music! Outside of a few niche areas where there's crossover with avant-garde classical music or with "world" music, pop music mostly all exists within a very tight "space", with relatively little variation. So there's plenty of opportunity for musical novelties - but either they're not being produced (in large numbers) or they're not being listened to (in large numbers).
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Exactly! There is innovative music around, it just isn't Western pop music. It seems that globalisation, instead of opening people's minds, has shut them into a small generic pop bubble.

cunningham
Lebom
Lebom

Post by cunningham »

I'm obsessed with the band Sígur Rós, especially the song Hoppípolla ("Hop in puddles"), especially the background music. It brings me back to my childhood in Hvolsvöllur, and the Icelandic language is so fucking beautiful. That language actually got me obsessed with languages, and making conlangs. Today, I looked at the lyrics and part of it is actually in a conlang that Sígur Rós made called "Hopelandic". It's probably just gibberish, but I think that's pretty cool. Without that song, I would've never been into conlanging.

I don't know what style to call Sígur Rós either. It feels like it's its own genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZTb8WxEW78
Last edited by cunningham on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

cunningham wrote:I don't know what style to call Sígur Rós either. It feels like it's its own genre.
Not in the slightest. According to Wikipedia it's called "post rock", though I haven't heard that term before. This particular song (I don't know SR very well) to me sounds exactly like a lot of British pop from the late 90s, like Muse and Radiohead.

JAL

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

cunningham wrote:I'm obsessed with the band Sígur Rós, especially the song Hoppípolla ("Happiness"), especially the background music. It brings me back to my childhood in Hvolsvöllur, and the Icelandic language is so fucking beautiful. That language actually got me obsessed with languages, and making conlangs. Today, I looked at the lyrics and part of it is actually in a conlang that Sígur Rós made called "Hopelandic". It's probably just gibberish, but I think that's pretty cool. Without that song, I would've never been into conlanging.

I don't know what style to call Sígur Rós either. It feels like it's its own genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZTb8WxEW78
Sounds like as if somebody from Iceland made a localized version of the kind of music I was listening to two or three years ago: Travis, Arcade Fire, Mew, Autumn's Grey Solace, Beach House, Animal Collective…
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.