[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Voting system and reform thread

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:14 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

A general thread about discussing democratic electoral systems, hypothetical or not.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:16 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

Last edited by mèþru on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:44 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

Can you step back a bit and answer a few questions?

- What problem are you trying to solve?
- Are you trying to disqualify voters, or votes, or candidates?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:37 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:41 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:14 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:48 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Since writing the above post, I got an idea for an alternative idea to majority judgement. You give each candidate an integer value. The highest absolute value is set as a denominator for all the values. Find the mean score of all candidates combined, and add that value to the candidates until all have the same amount of votes. Finally, find the median value for each candidate as per the rules majority judgement.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:40 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

How much research have you done into the research and work other people have done towards voting systems and their problems?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:47 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Not much, but I'm hoping to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:28 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:22 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:16 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:09 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:25 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:22 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:38 am 
Smeric
Smeric

I knew most of the stuff you talked about. I'm only partial going with the 1st principle (I've listed my criteria in a previous post, criterion #4 is incompatible with principle #1, so I'm trying to compromise between them), but I agree with the 2nd. I'm not sure about how I can even do the 3rd. As I've already stated, the Condorcet criteria is incompatible with the goals of whatever system I choose.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:31 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:44 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:47 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Your system is a heavily simplified version of what I created, essentially. It's specifically for the US presidential elections. No other country intended and no other public positions than president and vice president (voted for separately, so it is possible that they are from two different parties). It wouldn't work for a small country like Israel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:37 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Having a president and vice president from different parties does not sound like a great idea. There's a reason the US stopped voting separately for those two positions.

I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:43 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:06 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I am trying to at least address the criteria, not fully solve it. Look at my draft in an earlier post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:12 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:15 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I'm pretty sure murdering is grounds for impeachment, and any death of a president provokes conspiracy theories about vice presidents anyway, even if they are of the same faction of the same party.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:44 am 
Smeric
Smeric

ya but if the vice president was a democrat a lot more people would be awfully happy if the donaldmeister ate some plutonium or whatever