The username thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Farouche
Niš
Niš

The username thread

Post by Farouche »

This thread is for the story behind your usernames!

My username is Farouche. It's an English word of French origin that I first learned when I was huddled around the computers with my housemates, and one of them was editing Wiktionary. He edited the page for "farouche", and I learned a new word. The word means "shy and nerdy". The meaning fits me perfectly, so I chose it.
"trilobite-dragons, fuck yeah!"
-Torco

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The username thread

Post by Vijay »

Mine's boring; it's just my first name. Sorry!

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

I looked at myself in the shower one day and realized what I am, and to this day I still persist.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Heh!
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

My username came about because I decided one day I was going to make a conlang to be spoken on Frisland, and I thought it was going to be my main project long-term, and while it was certainly the first conlang I've made which grew to a great size, it fell prey to the large amount of revisions my conlangs are beset by, and has since mutated through to the point where it's barely recogniseable compared to its original form, has a tiny amount of vocabulary associted with it and is currently on the back-burn while I work on pretty much everything else I'm working on right now. I do hope to return to it at some point though, because I do actually kinda like where the language has got to right now and I want to see it fully fleshed-out and workable.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

My nickname reflects my Elven mindset and the fact that I often feel like weeping about the madness of our world, though the latter condition has improved somewhat lately, not as much because things in the world have become less bad but because I found better ways of dealing with them and of making my own life meaningful and enjoyable. Yet, I am still very thoughtful in my happiness.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

My nickname means "dragon soldier" in Japanese (actually 竜戦士, ryū senshi). I've been using it since the early Noughties, at a time when I was way too much into JRPGs.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

My nick is just my first name and last initial.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

malloc
Lebom
Lebom

Post by malloc »

My username is a function call from the C programming language, which I have always thought sounded like a possible name for a supervillain.

Uruwi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Uruwi »

My username was originally used in one of my old forums I ran (never got anywhere), albeit spelt in katakana (ウルヰ). I've stuck to it ever since.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

This is a nickname I was given by a college friend who used to ask me for language help for the RPGs he ran and I played in. Now he's a big-time game author and doesn't need me to translate things for him any more.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I was transcribing names of people I know into agefaqeg. Matthew became mèþru and I liked the sound of it /mɛθ.ru/ [ˈmɛθ.ɹ̠ʷu].
Soap wrote:I looked at myself in the shower one day and realized what I am, and to this day I still persist.
Same with me regarding me real life name. Luckily for me, it happened to be the name I was born with. Although I wasn't in the shower at the time. Maybe if I was, then I would also think that I'm soap. But I do not hold such high ambitions as being soap. No, I am merely the Patriarch of the Orthodox Church of Soap (refering to soap in general, not Soap the user, of whom I knew nothing when I founded the faith. I morally object to worshiping humans, even if they call themselves Soap.)
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I'm secretly a wooden rod.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Mine is the name of my first conlang.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Ryan of Tinellb
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Ryan of Tinellb »

"Ryan" is my first name.
"Of" is an English preposition, here used to imply association of the two proper nouns.
"Tinellb" is my con-universe. I made the name up when I was in primary school.
High Lulani and other conlangs at tinellb.com

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Wishful thinking?
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

My old name was vegfarandi which means pedestrian, or more literally, road goer, in my native Icelandic. It was the name of my Icelandic Star Trek fansite I used to run back in the '98-'01. The conceit of the website was that it was the database of an Icelandic speaking 24th century Star Fleet vessel. I then started using the name all over the internet.

Then when I released my Uscaniv grammar for the first time, I decided to jazz it up and Uscanivized the word to vecfaranti (there's no gs or ds in Uscaniv). Another reason I decided to change it was I was being harassed on the internet by a stalker who had found all the places where I went by vegfarandi except this one, and I hoped I would keep him away from here by having the name changed.

Eventually, that got shortened to vec.
vec