[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Classical Composers

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Classical Composers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:48 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

I know, I know. My previous attempt to do an intro to classical music was insanely long and pedantically detailed and nobody really cared and it never got anywhere.

The general intent, however, remains: perhaps people might listen to more great music if "classical music" weren't a colossal creature sprawling over 400 years filled with dozens of names that mean nothing to most people, and into which there are few easy entry points.

So this time, I've skipped ahead. What I intend to do here is just tell people about classical composers. What I'm going to do is organise composers into a rough hierachy of tiers, starting with the best and most essential, and working down into examples of less significant composers, with, accordingly fewer and fewer words as you go down the list. The idea is that people can get a sense of who the significant figures are, their relative level of significance, and what sort of music they wrote. If anybody's interested, they can then investigate in more detail on their own time.

So to start with, I'm going to talk about the Trinity. These are, by far, the most important composers, with large oeuvres of masterpieces spanning many genres, so I'm going to do a detailed post on each one of the three. After these, the word count will reduce exponentially with each 'tier'. I'll hopefully do at least four tiers, but after that I may just list some names.

Anyway, if this is of any interest to anyone, please do say, since otherwise I may just get bored and abandon it (again). Also, if anyone has any comment - on the posts or the music - or questions, please do contribute!

Now, to start:

------------

Tier 1: The Holy Trinity
There is no consensus on the identity of the greatest ever composer. However, in any list of, say, four or five of the greatest composers, from any vaguely reputable observer, three names will almost universally appear, fixed in the firmament for a century and a half or more, as their rivals have gradually fallen by the wayside with the fluctuations of fashion: Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven. Classical music fans, in discussing these three, frequently stray into an almost (or even explicitly) religious vocabulary: they are not merely heroes, but demigods of supernatural ability. The idea of the three as a divine trinity is strengthened by the differences between them: they seem not only to represent the highest achievable human excellence, but to represent three different visions of the nature of excellence. As SF author Douglas Adams famously put it: “Mozart tells us what it’s like to be human; Beethoven tells us what it’s like to be Beethoven; Bach tells us what it’s like to be the universe.”

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Post subject: Re: Classical Composers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I really liked the previous classical music series, and I'm happy to see new content.

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:17 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:21 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Johann Sebastian Bach
1685-1750 (Middle to Late Baroque)
b. Eisenach; d. Leipzig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 am 
Sanci
Sanci

Just coming out of lurking to say that this is very interesting stuff. Thanks a lot!

I've always had an interest in classical music as it's something that so many people derive so much joy from, but I always found it to be quite an inaccessible world, not being raised in a musical family. Now that I'm learning piano (mostly improvisation on chords though, no classical music or note-reading) and getting some background in musical theory, this is even more interesting. I'll be following this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:37 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:46 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:20 am 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 am 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

This discussion feels a bit weird for me as someone who likes and enjoys both classical (or, more generally, orchestral) music and stuff from modern genres - although there isn't really anything, in either music or the world in general, into which I'm so much that I could call myself a fan without looking like a poser to real fans. My approach to music, and art in general, is basically "I don't know art, but I know what I like."

For the record, I usually find it a bit difficult to listen to music and do something else at the same time. Either I focus entirely on the music, so that I can't really do anything else, or I focus so much on something else that I don't really notice the music.

Oh, and by the way, I think fans of modern genres can sometimes be as snotty as the snottiest classical music fans. A few times, I made the mistake of answering "rock" when people asked me what music I like. They then usually proceeded to ask me about my rock fan credentials, which (as you've probably guessed if you've read the first paragraph of this post) I don't have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:16 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:28 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:46 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:52 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Yeah, every time Sal posts on Classical music, my "Watch Later" list on YouTube triples in size. But it's worth it. I really love your explanations! It's much more than I've ever learned in a music class!

ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:30 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:09 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

First known on here as Karero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:41 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

I don't listen to classical music because I don't like violins.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

First known on here as Karero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:55 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Put post in wrong thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:19 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

To be fair, orchestral music is a big part of classical music, and that would also disqualify string quartets. Which are, admittedly, potentially an aquired taste in terms of timbre. But yes, there's still plenty left, particularly of piano music.

Of course, even with string ensemble, it's still possible to avoid violins! Behold, possibly the most important completely

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:05 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Maybe it's just me, but Nort's post reminds me of a pun where some parents choose not to send their child to some specific concert because it has "too much sax and violins."

(Pun on "sex and violence")

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:29 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

J.C. Wolfgang Amadè Mozart
1756-1791 (Classical)
b. Salzburg; d. Vienna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:57 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul