Venting thread that still excludes eddy (2)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Venting thread

Post by Io »

You'd think Viktor being an American he'd be familiar with CP time.

*ba dum tss*

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Io wrote:You'd think Viktor being an American he'd be familiar with CP time.

*ba dum tss*
I had to Google that. But I don't think there's that much a difference across races in the US. There may be a stereotype that POCs are slower in general (as Latinos, too), but everyone almost always respects "American time" for appointments.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Same here. Until you mentioned it, I had never heard "CP time", and I had to google it; the concept itself is completely alien to me.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I don't remember that expression despite probably having seen that episode of Maude where they mention it. Is it really an African American-specific stereotype? I'd say it's kind of true of Indians at least.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Vijay wrote:I don't remember that expression despite probably having seen that episode of Maude where they mention it. Is it really an African American-specific stereotype? I'd say it's kind of true of Indians at least.
I learned about it from an African-American coworker. Like me, she's older, so it may not be current among young people.

What about GST? Is that still a thing?

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I had heard of foreigners in other countries being routinely late, as a stereotype, but never non-white people within the US.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote:I had heard of foreigners in other countries being routinely late, as a stereotype, but never non-white people within the US.
In Spanish, I even learned hora inglesa to mean basically "at the time stated".

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Travis B. wrote:Same here. Until you mentioned it, I had never heard "CP time", and I had to google it; the concept itself is completely alien to me.
I actually, now that it's mentioned, remember my grandfather using the phrase a few times.

And, speaking of family, found out that, late last week, my one uncle had a heart attack. He's fine (thankfully), but, considering heart/circulatory issues run on that side of the family (my grandfather died of a heart attack at about the age of 35; my grandmother of a stroke at 59; my father and his other brother have been also having blood pressure issues), my level of concern increases, and not just for my father and his brothers...
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

linguoboy wrote:What about GST? Is that still a thing?
GST?
Travis B. wrote:I had heard of foreigners in other countries being routinely late, as a stereotype, but never non-white people within the US.
I assure you that this is a real thing that happens among at least some subgroups of Indians in the US. When I was growing up here in Austin, if any Malayalees invited any other Malayalees for a party at time x, they would definitely not be expected to actually show up at time x; it could even be embarrassing if they did (the hosts may not be present even if it's at their own house!). I haven't been to a lot of these parties in a long time, so I'm going off of vague recollection here, but I did when I was younger because my mom always dragged the rest of us to them.

IIRC the way it worked was as follows: If you show up at a party two hours later than you're told it would start (e.g. they say it starts at 5:00 PM but you show up at 7:00 PM), you would be acceptably or even admirably early (which is why we always did just that). Three hours later (8:00 PM in our example) than the designated start time is probably typical, and even four hours later (9:00 PM) is acceptably late (though probably most of the food is gone by that time, so it's not a very good idea).

Even before becoming president, George W. Bush was known for his punctuality. Once when he was still governor of Texas, a local Tamil association here in Austin invited him for one of their functions. He arrived exactly on time and then had to wait a few hours before even one other person showed up.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

Mélenchon voters not voting against Le Pen. Because, you know, a vaguely centrist candidate is just as evil as a right-wing extremist.

So that's why I could never stand the far left.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Sounds kind of like Berniebros who wouldn't vote for Clinton, in which case I feel your pain.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

It's not even kind of like, as far as I can see it's the same or worse.
Also, judging from the demographics of the Mélenchon vote, it's probably the same people that'd get shafted the most by a Le Pen victory. Way to piss your own bed.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Vijay wrote:
linguoboy wrote:What about GST? Is that still a thing?
GST?
Gay Standard Time. Like if the invitation says the party begins at 8 p.m., no one will be there before 10:30.

I've noticed this growing less extreme as I get older, since staying up till all hours isn't nearly as fun as it used to be.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Very depressed and paranoid. Yay.

cunningham
Lebom
Lebom

Post by cunningham »

Ars Lande wrote:Because, you know, a vaguely centrist candidate is just as evil as a right-wing extremist.
What is even the point of being a Centrist? Nothing ever gets done. I'd rather have a Pinochet-esque despot throw insurgents out of a helicopter than an apolitical wimp who puts his head in the sand while we slowly degenerate like the Western Roman Empire.

cunningham
Lebom
Lebom

Post by cunningham »

Is anyone getting physically ill watching Bill Nye's new Netflix show?
I know I shit on liberals a lot and believe me I'm becoming more liberal every day...but can any of you actually stomach this garbage?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wllc5gSc-N8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46h-LfNWPn8&t=1s

I want to hear what he says about climate change, robots, GMOs... not this crap. This isn't science, it's Science!™. It's propaganda actually.
It's like the Weimar Republic 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Oh noez, people's gonna have sex! Now the whole civilization's gonna crumble!!!
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

cunningham wrote:
Ars Lande wrote:Because, you know, a vaguely centrist candidate is just as evil as a right-wing extremist.
What is even the point of being a Centrist? Nothing ever gets done. I'd rather have a Pinochet-esque despot throw insurgents out of a helicopter than an apolitical wimp who puts his head in the sand while we slowly degenerate like the Western Roman Empire.
The thing is, the people are talking about are far left. Doing nothing should beat five+ years of nationalist policy for a far-left activist.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

The antipsychotic switch has failed; I became (more) psychotic and started cycling, so instead of going off one antipsychotic and onto another, I am going to stay on both. The thing is that I wanted the switch, even though I suspected it might fail, because the old antipsychotic has more side effects than the new antipsychotic.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Ars Lande wrote:The thing is, the people are talking about are far left. Doing nothing should beat five+ years of nationalist policy for a far-left activist.
Except a lot of far-left activists take Bukowski's line "True revolution comes from true revulsion; when things get bad enough the kitten will kill the lion" at face value.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Ars Lande wrote:Mélenchon voters not voting against Le Pen. Because, you know, a vaguely centrist candidate is just as evil as a right-wing extremist.

So that's why I could never stand the far left.
Some Mélenchon supporters are saying that, and some are even voting LePen, but more than half of them are planning to vote Macron, which is more than can be said for Fillon supporters, despite the positions of the actual candidates. (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_de_ ... ts_de_voix)

Mélenchon's lack of support for Macron did surprise me though, but it's something parallelled in most of the other candidates. And it shows things have changed since 2002, when the trostkyists were out in force for Chirac.

Anyway, I find the whole left-right spectrum overly simplistic. What makes him extreme anything anyway? Macron is extremely pro-Euro, Fillon is extreme on "the government should spend money on my family" and Le Pen is extreme on "I didn't know my friends were Nazis" racism. But what's Mélenchon extreme on? Wanting people to survive?

@cunningham:
The left-right spectrum also confuses things as people get the idea that centrists aren't going to change anything. Of course they are, just like any other politician. It's just they'll change things in a "centrist" way (whether that be pro-Euro, agrarianism, as the Nordic centre parties or just implementing some policies typical of the 'left' and others typical of the 'right').

And it's even harder to make parallels with the Western Roman Empire. Would you have wanted the Western Roman Empire to last longer?

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

linguoboy wrote:
Ars Lande wrote:The thing is, the people are talking about are far left. Doing nothing should beat five+ years of nationalist policy for a far-left activist.
Except a lot of far-left activists take Bukowski's line "True revolution comes from true revulsion; when things get bad enough the kitten will kill the lion" at face value.
Also, for many leftists, the economic policy might matter more than things like immigration &c. Considered Le Pen's seems more of an etatist than Macron and the latter has many features of a proverbial bankster, the choice might be tough.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I just want this to stop. Sigh.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

cunningham wrote:What is even the point of being a Centrist? Nothing ever gets done. I'd rather have a Pinochet-esque despot throw insurgents out of a helicopter than an apolitical wimp who puts his head in the sand while we slowly degenerate like the Western Roman Empire.
Well, if what you want to achieve politically involves killing unarmed people, it's wrong. Whatever it might be that you want to achieve.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

hwhatting wrote:Well, if what you want to achieve politically involves killing unarmed people, it's wrong. Whatever it might be that you want to achieve.
I misguidedly used to take cunningham seriously, as if he really believed all the shit he spouts, but now it is clear that in this case he is just being over-the-top for trolling's sake.