Venting thread that still excludes eddy (2)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Venting thread

Post by KathTheDragon »

Did you explain the situation and ask them to contact the people with the car for you?

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Venting thread

Post by Salmoneus »

This is not an Eddythread.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Venting thread that still excludes eddy

Post by Torco »

I was about to mock the veredict o eddying, deeming it too laxly applied: but then I read more carefuly and I must agree with the call

Hydroeccentricity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hydroeccentricity »

My latest peeve: There is a story doing the rounds on all the major news outlets and on social media about the "gun blessing ceremony." You've already seen it somewhere. The problem I have with the reporting and the outcry on Facebook/twitter is that people act like it's "so American" because guns are involved. The BBC article even called it "US gun ceremony." Then everyone reposts it somewhere and comments proliferate saying "OMG America is so weird."

Look. I am usually in the front of the queue when it's time to bash the USAnians. I have my Canada toque on tight. But the Unification church is not mainstream American culture. In fact they're pretty much random white noise. Just because guns are involved, the ceremony gets treated like "American" culture instead of "fringe American culture." Last week they probably had a koala blessing ceremony, and next week they'll have a banana blessing ceremony, and nobody will say a word.
"I'm sorry, when you have all As in every class in every semester, it's not easy to treat the idea that your views are fundamentally incoherent as a serious proposition."

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I've honestly never heard about it except here, where the fact that this is specific to the Unification church was immediately pointed out, but then I'm probably just out of the loop these days.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

tinnitus
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

happybud
Niš
Niš

Post by happybud »

I always seem to have diarrhea flaring up right before I go out on the weekends :/

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Since my most recent (Scientific) publications, I've been flooded with a fuckton of spam/junk e-mails for predatory conferences and journals, and it's just gotten much worse after my first publication as a first-author (despite me not including my e-mail on the publication!). I wonder who on earth falls for these, but, apparently, it's a not-insignificant number because the number just shoots up higher and higher, and there's very little that you can do to get them to stop. So... yeah, lots of pressing the "junk" button.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

A couple years since they finished building a new hotel across from my bus stop and a restaurant has finally moved in. A chicken fingers restaurant. My first reaction to it was, "There it is: the complete infantilisation of our cuisine is finally complete."

Today is the grand opening. As of 9 a.m., the line to get in stretched around the block.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

vampireshark wrote:Since my most recent (Scientific) publications, I've been flooded with a fuckton of spam/junk e-mails for predatory conferences and journals, and it's just gotten much worse after my first publication as a first-author (despite me not including my e-mail on the publication!). I wonder who on earth falls for these, but, apparently, it's a not-insignificant number because the number just shoots up higher and higher, and there's very little that you can do to get them to stop. So... yeah, lots of pressing the "junk" button.
May I enquire as to which form these junk emails take?

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

jmcd wrote:May I enquire as to which form these junk emails take?
I've deleted all mine, but usually they follow a form much like
Dear Dr. ...,

Based on your recent publication "...", we would encourage you to submit a manuscript to our new Journal of ... We provide full peer review and competitive prices.
Such predatory journals may well be real journals that are just trying make a start, but it doesn't remove the fact that they are still black holes of research where you have to pay for submitting a paper that the rest of the scientific community will ignore since they have no idea of its existence or have no intentions for paying to access it.

Sometimes these requests get funny details. Recently my colleague was requested to be an invited speaker at some medical conference since someone from their side had found his work on solar plasmas.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

linguoboy wrote:A couple years since they finished building a new hotel across from my bus stop and a restaurant has finally moved in. A chicken fingers restaurant. My first reaction to it was, "There it is: the complete infantilisation of our cuisine is finally complete."

Today is the grand opening. As of 9 a.m., the line to get in stretched around the block.
I'm not sure I follow? A man from the land famous for whopper meals and chicken mcnuggets is worried their cuisine is being infantilised by... a slightly different sort of deep-fried battered chicken than normal?

I mean, I know America does have other food than just mcnuggets and pizzas (it must do, it has so many immigrants). But it seems odd to be complaining about the spread of a cuisine that's been essentially synonymous with your country around the world for... what, 30, 40 years now? It would be like a British person complaining about how they've noticed some people in their neighbourhood starting to drink tea...
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

gach wrote:
jmcd wrote:May I enquire as to which form these junk emails take?
I've deleted all mine, but usually they follow a form much like
Dear Dr. ...,

Based on your recent publication "...", we would encourage you to submit a manuscript to our new Journal of ... We provide full peer review and competitive prices.
Such predatory journals may well be real journals that are just trying make a start, but it doesn't remove the fact that they are still black holes of research where you have to pay for submitting a paper that the rest of the scientific community will ignore since they have no idea of its existence or have no intentions for paying to access it.

Sometimes these requests get funny details. Recently my colleague was requested to be an invited speaker at some medical conference since someone from their side had found his work on solar plasmas.
Yep, that's about the format involved. Here's an example of such an e-mail (an example of an actual e-mail, too, before I delete it into the abyss).
More: show
Dear Dr. [vampireshark],
(I'm not a doctor. Yet.)
We followed your elite research work entitled "Thermotropic Liquid Crystal-Assisted Chemical and Biological Sensors" distributed in "Materials" and we believe it would be a perfect match for the scintillating 20th International Conference on Advanced Energy Materials and Research on August 13-14, 2018 which will be held in Dublin, Ireland. We would like to share your research and enlighten us with your work.
Color is as in the original.
Cordially invites you to deliver a talk at the
"20th International Conference on Advanced Energy Materials and Research"
August 13-14, 2018
at Dublin, Ireland

Advanced Energy Materials 2018 would be the ideal dice for renowned academicians and Industrialists to come together for a common cause and contribute to this exquisite research-oriented scientific meeting. It will be the amalgamation of Experience and youth to ignite and accelerate the scientific research and innovations in the field of Material Science. The best minds from the different spectrum's come together for this meticulously planned Scientific Extravaganza.
Yes, this is the kind of purple prose involved.
Meet 300+ Speakers at: - Energy Materials Conferences | Material Science Conferences

We value your time and look forward to hearing from you at the earliest.

Thanks & Regards,
[redacted]
The notable thing about this is that the conference doesn't have anything to do with the topic of the review article. The article in question is on biological sensors based on liquid crystals and doesn't deal at all with energy, materials for energy, or the like. And I've gotten spam articles for ceramics, toxicology, stem cells, pharmacology... things that are, at best, maybe slightly tangentially related. Plus, of course, they're looking to separate you from your money (and are perhaps a vehicle for some people to get visas to travel to countries where the conferences are held!).

It's also, to me, a thing that, if they are a genuine journal, then they would do some cursory research and see that (a) I'm not a doctor and (b) I'm not relevant to their journal.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

As a person who grew up in America physically but culturally grew up in their own secluded world, Sal is spot on.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Salmoneus wrote:
linguoboy wrote:A couple years since they finished building a new hotel across from my bus stop and a restaurant has finally moved in. A chicken fingers restaurant. My first reaction to it was, "There it is: the complete infantilisation of our cuisine is finally complete."

I'm not sure I follow? A man from the land famous for whopper meals and chicken mcnuggets is worried their cuisine is being infantilised by... a slightly different sort of deep-fried battered chicken than normal?

I mean, I know America does have other food than just mcnuggets and pizzas (it must do, it has so many immigrants). But it seems odd to be complaining about the spread of a cuisine that's been essentially synonymous with your country around the world for... what, 30, 40 years now? It would be like a British person complaining about how they've noticed some people in their neighbourhood starting to drink tea...
Chicken fingers in restaurants are generally considered to be children's food. Outside of restaurants, they're cheap shit that you buy frozen in five-pound bags and throw in a microwave when you're too lazy to cook real food.

I've seen oatmeal restaurants, and I hear Britain has, of all things, cereal bars, which is somehow even more terrible than Georgetown Cupcake, where you pay four or five dollars for a single cupcake in a cutesy pink box, and where everyone in DC goes at least once a week. #clownworld

Now, what's with the idea that all the decent American food had to have come from immigrants? Recent immigrants, even -- no one is thinking of scrapple or sauerkraut. That attitude is common even in America, and I'm never sure if they just don't know any better or if it's deliberately cultivated for the purpose of class signaling. It's probably both -- you have to become a Citizen Of The World if you don't want to be a Dirty Prole, and only a Dirty Prole would give a damn about anything their parents grew up with.

If I had to give up everything brought over by 20th-century immigrants, I'd have to find a different way to season pork, but that'd be it.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Nortaneous wrote:Chicken fingers in restaurants are generally considered to be children's food.
This. Worse, this is not some kind of natural state of things but a recent cultural change foisted on us by the demands of corporate food production. (For a good potted history of how this happened, see: http://nationalpost.com/the-kids-menu.)
Nortaneous wrote:Outside of restaurants, they're cheap shit that you buy frozen in five-pound bags and throw in a microwave when you're too lazy to cook real food.
This. I recently asked a foetus I know (just graduated college) what he's cooked lately and he said, "Last night I put some frozen chicken nuggets in the oven." I said, "That's not cooking, it's heating."

Making real fried chicken is an art. It takes actual skill and patience, not just the ability to dump out the contents of a basket when a bell goes ding. You can't easily disguise crap ingredients, like you can with chicken nuggets, and it has actual flavour and texture, unlike chicken fingers. Not everything fried is as one-dimensional as your folks' take on pescado frito.
Nortaneous wrote:I've seen oatmeal restaurants, and I hear Britain has, of all things, cereal bars
Sounds like they're hopping on a trend we discarded a decade ago. The short-lived chain was called "Cereality" and apparently had its genesis when shark's denizen started noshing on a bowl of cold cereal in the middle of meeting with one of its future founders, who asked him, "Would you pay $5 to eat that in a hip space?" and he said, "Absolutely". They opened branches next to the major universities in town here that were bustling for a while until even upper-middle class wastrels realised they weren't stupid enough to pay top dollar for the exact same experience they could get in one of the more recently renovated dining halls on campus.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

The only meaning of cereal bar that I know of is this:
i.e. something you eat, not somewhere you go to.

A common image of American cuisine abroad is the association with fast food joints like McDonalds and KFC.

I now know about the existence of things like grits and peanut butter pie through the zbb and cuisine books and websites I read as an adult.

What do you eat on a regular basis, Nort? And what are your favourite foods?

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

This conversation should be moved to the Random thread.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

mèþru wrote:This conversation should be moved to the Random thread.
General reminder: You can always address these requests directly to the mods via the reporting mechanism or PM.

By the standards of the Venting Thread, the food discussion barely even qualifies as a tangent at this point. If it takes over to the point that it risks swamping new vents, I'll consider relocating it.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Fuck Nina Paley. I have several of her songs (well, all ut two are actually other songs with animation) on my playlist. They are really good, but I can't hear them without remembering the crap she says about people like KathTheDragon. Or the fact that the ones about Passover come from a movie that ends with basically saying that being religious and/or being Zionist is the same as being a Klansman. I don't want to remove the songs, but I skip them each time. I wish I didn't have to and that one day I won't have to. I was introduced to jazz legend Annette Hanshaw from her movie Sita Sings the Blues and was so inspired by her work and I don't know how to feel. I hate her yet I love her. It's so painful.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I won't skip the amazing Chad Gadya animation she did. It's now a tradition to play it.
kårroť

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

What? Why am I being referenced?

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

You're the only person whom I sort of know that I also know is trans and you're a board member and you're awesome.
kårroť

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

o.o Oh ok

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »