Venting thread that still excludes eddy (2)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Venting thread

Post by sirdanilot »

I sweat constantly even if I do nothing . I am sweating right now for example. I do think I have some medical condition but I have always been like thisand I have learnt to adequately deal with this ( yes I split infinitive s)

sweating is a mechanism to prevent your body from over heating. if you do cardio and do not sweat you have not tried hard enough.

except when swimming because then you get immediately cooled down by the water

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

You're on a linguistics forum. No one cares if you split your infinitives. Many people here probably do as well.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

You have hyperhidrosis

(and since this is a linguistic forum I won't point out that the diagnosis amounts to, basically, Greek for "excess sweat")
sweating is a mechanism to prevent your body from over heating. if you do cardio and do not sweat you have not tried hard enough.
For "troo" cardio or something? You don't need to break a sweat for the exercise to have health benefits because the body has other ways for the heat to dissipate and it also depends on exogenous factors like room temperature. If you mean for muscle hypertrophy, I'm not sure.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Whoa... sweating just because AND all of the time? you're either a hell of a lot fatter than me, in a way too warm environment, too warmly attired or, more likely, what he said, hiperswetia or whatever. I'd get that checked.
XD this coming from the guy who just told us he doesn't do any form of sports. come on, why do you humilliate yourself.

And as a note, Thry, no, it's not necessary in any way to sweat in order to gain muscle mass... then again, It's VERY much advisable to sweat, as doing strenuous exercise without sweating requires either an excellently conditioned body that's able to perform a lot of work without overheating [I've known these folks, you can actually train your body to sweat less through sweating yourself into dehidration enough times] OR training naked in a very cold place, which is neither very pleasant nor, i suppose, very healthy XD

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Today's Mother's Day has been terrible. I forgot about it so my mom was really sad, then she used it to extort 200 dollars of stuff from my dad that he wanted to use for new glasses in two years, then I pissed my mom off by telling her "this is your day to fuck people over" in response to "this is MY day so why do I have to suffer" (she ran to my door and smashed it so hard I had to stand against it and brace lest she smash it off the hinges) and oh god it's been terrible. All three of us feel like shit and hate each other and we've been fighting all day.

My family is a complete pit of misery and hatred.
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

sirdanilot wrote:I sweat constantly even if I do nothing . I am sweating right now for example. I do think I have some medical condition but I have always been like thisand I have learnt to adequately deal with this ( yes I split infinitive s)

Hold on hold on hold on...

So, first you say that the amount of sweat you produce varies from person to person, citing a personal example, and then you go on to say that you aren't working out hard enough if you don't sweat? So, someone who is the complete opposite of you must work out 10x harder in order to get a good work out?

I have a friend who seriously never breaks a sweat, to the point that it worries her from a medical point of view. According to your theory, she'd have to push herself really hard and risk a heart attack to be able to get a """good workout""", while someone like me can get a kick-ass workout from restocking the fridge at work.
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Chagen wrote: My family is a complete pit of misery and hatred.
You seem to be very defeatist in these matters. Instead of taking your own responsibility, you decide to throw your hands up in the air and say 'OOOOH I'm so miserable and f***d up'. You know, you could also, y'know, do something about the situation you're in. Stop being so defeatist.

You could for example say, 'oh sorry mother, I will buy something for you tomorrow'. But no you decide to swim in your own misery and turn around, covering yourself up with the misery more and more.
Hold on hold on hold on...

So, first you say that the amount of sweat you produce varies from person to person, citing a personal example, and then you go on to say that you aren't working out hard enough if you don't sweat? So, someone who is the complete opposite of you must work out 10x harder in order to get a good work out?

I have a friend who seriously never breaks a sweat, to the point that it worries her from a medical point of view. According to your theory, she'd have to push herself really hard and risk a heart attack to be able to get a """good workout""", while someone like me can get a kick-ass workout from restocking the fridge at work.
You cite an extreme example of someone who, due to some medical condition, cannot sweat. That's of course ludicrous. She is exactly an example of why sweating is important. If she works out too much she will overheat herself which can cause serious problems.
Any person within the range of normal sweating behaviour should work out until they sweat at least a bit. Otherwise you haven't worked hard enough.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Incidentally, this 'mother's day is not a privilige it is my right as a mother to receive something for mothers day''' thing seems to occur in more families.

I know someone who wanted to prepare a breakfast for his mother, but on the day it turned out Mother was already out of bed before they had finished the breakfast. And she became extremely angry at this, because she found that it is her Right as a Mother to recieve a Breakfast for Mother's Day.

Of course I think that's very silly. If you receive something for mother's day it is a privilidge and a sign of the love and care from your children and husband. But you cannot DEMAND something for mother's day.

I am happy that it was never such a big deal in my family.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

sirdanilot wrote:
You seem to be very defeatist in these matters. Instead of taking your own responsibility, you decide to throw your hands up in the air and say 'OOOOH I'm so miserable and f***d up'. You know, you could also, y'know, do something about the situation you're in. Stop being so defeatist.

You could for example say, 'oh sorry mother, I will buy something for you tomorrow'. But no you decide to swim in your own misery and turn around, covering yourself up with the misery more and more.
Judgmental, much? You don't know Chagen's situation--is it really appropriate for you to be deciding whether or not their actions are right?

At any rate, whether what Chagen did was right, wrong, or neutral, what's done is done, and it's usually not helpful to inform people about what they should have done. The past is in the past, after all, and can't be changed. I strongly prefer to focus on what I can do now and in the future to fix a situation.

(and FWIW, Chagen, sorry! :/ Your family situation sounds difficult to deal with, and I hope it improves.)
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

The past is in the past
This is a line from Disney's Let it Go song ! I love that song !

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

sirdanilot wrote:

Wow! Were you in his house or something? That's a whole lot of presumption right there. Does your religion command you to make the least charitable assumptions and kick people when they are down or is that all your doing? To use your language: you're discriminating against people with shitty families.

Also, this is the venting thread. This is for the negativity and defeatism - it's good to let it out. It does not mean people are doing nothing in their lives. Why are you even in here? To be the Great Oracle?

And you like the Frozen song? That's how you reply? Haven't you got a bridge to sit under?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

sirdanilot wrote:
This is, I think, the most insensitive thing you've said up till now. It borders on bullying.

EDIT: @Chagen: [strong language removed]. Ignore him. My condolences on the whole rotten situation, I feel for you.
EDIT2: removed strong language

JAL
Last edited by jal on Mon May 11, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

I am not bullying him. I have seen on multiple occasions that he is very defeatist in general I recognize his situation is bad. I recognize that he has a lot of problems and that his problems are real. But you can have different attitudes towards it. You can throw your hands into the air and say 'GAAH nothing will ever come from me, I'm useless ! I am horrible ! I am messed up !' Or: you can stand up and actually do something about it.

And even if you cannot do that yourself, there are people who are able to help you do it.

How is that bullying? I am being supportive. I see he has many problems and I am trying to give an incentive for him to actually do something about it.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

[quote="Imralu"\

And you like the Frozen song? That's how you reply? Haven't you got a bridge to sit under?[/quote]
I am only trying to help ! Stop being so negative.
And what is wrong with liking the Frozen song? Hater.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

sirdanilot wrote:How is that bullying? I am being supportive. I see he has many problems and I am trying to give an incentive for him to actually do something about it.
What you said borders on victim blaming. If you really think that what you did could help anyone, you're an ignorant twat.

JAL

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

jal wrote:
sirdanilot wrote:How is that bullying? I am being supportive. I see he has many problems and I am trying to give an incentive for him to actually do something about it.
What you said borders on victim blaming. If you really think that what you did could help anyone, you're an ignorant twat.

JAL
Oh yes it's victim blaming surely to tell someone that they can stand up and do something about their situation right. That's sooooo victim blaming.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

There appears to be no way to ban a particular user from posting in a particular thread, otherwise I would be banning sirdanilot from posting in the Venting Thread. He's been warned repeatedly not to bully people who post here and is flagrantly ignoring those warnings.

So here's the deal: sirdanilot can voluntarily refrain from posting in this thread or he can be banned (temporarily or permanently, that's for the mods to work out amongst themselves) from the entire forum. Your choice, sirdanilot.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Sirdanilot: You're not supportively telling him he can stand up and change his situation ... you're reproaching him for not having done so. I don't know anyone who would call that supportive.

And the issue is not with the song from Frozen. It's with the fact that that was the only thing you replied to in that post. You had just been called out for being unsupportive, presumptuous and judgemental, just as I have reiterated.

Edit: Do not reply, SirDanilot. See above.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Grunnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Grunnen »

EDIT
I'm sorry, I missed the warning to Sirdan. I can't remove my posts can I? Removed content.
χʁɵn̩
gʁonɛ̃g
gɾɪ̃slɑ̃

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Grunnen wrote:EDIT
I'm sorry, I missed the warning to Sirdan. I can't remove my posts can I? Removed content.
I don't see any posts of yours responding to sirdanilot. If you ever want a post yours deleted completely, you can use the report button to request this of the mods.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

I think he means that post above.
Good to know, anyway, linguoboy!
________
MY MUSIC

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

So he does.

Slept badly again last night. That just seems to be my life now. My husband can't help having to get up often during the night and I can't help waking up when he does. Could be much worse, of course, but damn is it frustrating. Sometimes I feel like my entire adult life has just been a failed struggled to reach a point where I can dependably get a full night's sleep more than a couple times in a week.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

linguoboy wrote:Slept badly again last night. That just seems to be my life now. My husband can't help having to get up often during the night and I can't help waking up when he does. Could be much worse, of course, but damn is it frustrating. Sometimes I feel like my entire adult life has just been a failed struggled to reach a point where I can dependably get a full night's sleep more than a couple times in a week.
Yeah, that sucks. I have three kids, that'll also severly limit the sleep you can get. Additionally, while we're venting, my tinitus also doesn't help when it comes to peaceful sleep. I can't remember the last time I woke up refreshed.

JAL

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

jal wrote:Yeah, that sucks. I have three kids, that'll also severly limit the sleep you can get. Additionally, while we're venting, my tinitus also doesn't help when it comes to peaceful sleep. I can't remember the last time I woke up refreshed.
Yeah, when it starts to get me down, I just look at my sister's life. She's on baby #5. I can only assume she hasn't sleep more than four solid hours in a row since 2001.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

linguoboy wrote:Yeah, when it starts to get me down, I just look at my sister's life. She's on baby #5. I can only assume she hasn't sleep more than four solid hours in a row since 2001.
Wow, #5??? Voluntarily??? Truth be told, my wife and I made sure that after #3 there wouldn't be another one, or we'd be on #5 as well :).

JAL