zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 106  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:36 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 668
Location: Nyeriborma, Elme, Melomers
Torco wrote:
Please to live in bolivia for a couple months, or jordan, or nigeria, before you declare living in the most wealthy country in the planet "the worse".

still, yeah, what's happening to canada is sad... sic transic gloria mundi


Again, as I said, I am fully aware that Canada is not the worst (notice the "t", very important in English), and better than most. I just said it is getting "worse", that is, "less good".

Otherwise, what Imralu said.

_________________
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:17 pm 
Smeric
Smeric
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:45 pm
Posts: 2373
Location: Santiago de Chile
Quote:
if there are places outside nyc where you'll be shot down for saying that the high divorce rate might not be a good thing, i don't know of them. how are medicine and condoms relevant?

you don't know places where the consensus is not that high divorce rates are bad? that may be so... also the consensus is that there are magical sky daddies.

medicine and condoms are relevant to sexual mores through a variety of ways: for example, if there are no condoms or medicine, to fuck a single person is a great strategy, no STDs and unwanted preggers.... less so in the age of antibiotics, where most STIs don't kill you.

_________________
Articles on Suenu - Amphitrite


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:02 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 668
Location: Nyeriborma, Elme, Melomers
So, there you go. I am sick, probably sicker than I have ever been.

I've looked for advice, but it seems that all I will be going through during the next few couple of months, no matter what I choose, is not a good thing (though at least, it's not the worst case scenario, I hope so).

I am at a loss at what to do, really, and nothing seems to be helpful.

_________________
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:58 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:29 pm
Posts: 823
I'm very sorry you're so sick. Perhaps pretending Céline Dion is returning to Las Vegas on your behalf too (even if she doesn't know it) will help you feel stronger.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:48 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 668
Location: Nyeriborma, Elme, Melomers
Shm Jay wrote:
I'm very sorry you're so sick. Perhaps pretending Céline Dion is returning to Las Vegas on your behalf too (even if she doesn't know it) will help you feel stronger.


As if I cared.

_________________
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:54 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:29 pm
Posts: 823
I know you don't care about what Céline Dion does, and neither do I, but I thought it was delightfully ridiculous.

Anyway, here's a vent. Maybe it's my age, but it just seems there's so little to look forward to now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:49 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 668
Location: Nyeriborma, Elme, Melomers
Shm Jay wrote:
I know you don't care about what Céline Dion does, and neither do I, but I thought it was delightfully ridiculous.


Beyond all our differences, that is certainly a point we can agree too. (Then again, I do believe we also share the fact of being born in the same province, if I remember well.)

Quote:
Anyway, here's a vent. Maybe it's my age, but it just seems there's so little to look forward to now.


Are you retiring anytime soon and don't know what you'll do of yourself after it's done?

_________________
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:49 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:29 pm
Posts: 823
No, still way too far away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:15 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 668
Location: Nyeriborma, Elme, Melomers
Shm Jay wrote:
No, still way too far away.

This is weird then; a check-up on what's going on might be a good thing.

_________________
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:19 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:03 am
Posts: 2633
Location: Netherlands
Damn, my wife got a burn-out yesterday :(.


JAL


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:49 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 668
Location: Nyeriborma, Elme, Melomers
jal wrote:
Damn, my wife got a burn-out yesterday :(.


JAL


Diagnosed, I suppose. (It's usually not that brutal, though when it finally hits the ground, it can hit hard.)

I hope she'll be having some time to relax herself.

_________________
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:02 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:03 am
Posts: 2633
Location: Netherlands
Yiuel Raumbesrairc wrote:
Diagnosed, I suppose. (It's usually not that brutal, though when it finally hits the ground, it can hit hard.)

Not officially yet, she's going to see the doctor as we speak, but all the signs are there. She's had a burn-out before (years ago), so we know the symptoms (she's just been denying and hiding them for a while).

Quote:
I hope she'll be having some time to relax herself.

Me too, though with three kids, two of them with special needs, it's difficult :(.


JAL


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:13 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:29 pm
Posts: 823
Yiuel Raumbesrairc wrote:
Shm Jay wrote:
No, still way too far away.

This is weird then; a check-up on what's going on might be a good thing.


Well, in the near future, I'm going on vacation to Winnipeg, and on the way back down I'm going to Minneapolis to hit the used book stores, so I'm looking forward to that. I think my bluh feelings have to work events.

Out of curiosity (and as a way of trying to explain things), how are you doing at work, Linguoboy, and do you have enough work to do? Or are you doing mainly other things besides cataloguing?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:27 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 668
Location: Nyeriborma, Elme, Melomers
jal wrote:
Yiuel Raumbesrairc wrote:
Diagnosed, I suppose. (It's usually not that brutal, though when it finally hits the ground, it can hit hard.)

Not officially yet, she's going to see the doctor as we speak, but all the signs are there. She's had a burn-out before (years ago), so we know the symptoms (she's just been denying and hiding them for a while).

Quote:
I hope she'll be having some time to relax herself.

Me too, though with three kids, two of them with special needs, it's difficult :(.


JAL


Quite a situation indeed; better go get as much help as possible. Is your government supportive when it comes to kids with special needs, or are they assholes like my own Quebec?

Shm Jay wrote:
I think my bluh feelings have to work events.


Things that happen at work can cause quite a few troubles.

_________________
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:22 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:03 am
Posts: 2633
Location: Netherlands
Yiuel Raumbesrairc wrote:
Quite a situation indeed; better go get as much help as possible. Is your government supportive when it comes to kids with special needs, or are they assholes like my own Quebec?

Well, it's not the government direclty, but luckily there's good health insureance and there are various programmes* that offer support. And we're in luck that they are still high-functioning, one having both ADHD and Asperger's, the other probably ADD (though not yet diagnosed) and also Asperger's (albeit in a different form).

*E.g. there's a special programme and support for teachers at school.


JAL


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:22 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 668
Location: Nyeriborma, Elme, Melomers
jal wrote:
Yiuel Raumbesrairc wrote:
Quite a situation indeed; better go get as much help as possible. Is your government supportive when it comes to kids with special needs, or are they assholes like my own Quebec?

Well, it's not the government direclty, but luckily there's good health insureance and there are various programmes* that offer support. And we're in luck that they are still high-functioning, one having both ADHD and Asperger's, the other probably ADD (though not yet diagnosed) and also Asperger's (albeit in a different form).

*E.g. there's a special programme and support for teachers at school.


Probably not ideal, but not the worst either.

*vent*

I know I am sick, but I also I know that I can't do anything about it for the next 3 months, so can people please stop trying to help me and just let me live through those awful three months???

Dammit.

_________________
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:22 am 
Sanno
Sanno
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:00 am
Posts: 3687
Location: Rogers Park/Evanston
Dang. I was looking forward to an online argument with an American xenophobe on immigration, but it looks like the mods decided the user was a troll and deleted them. At least I've still got a desultory debate on whether homosexuality is "natural" or not to distract me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:46 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:03 am
Posts: 2633
Location: Netherlands
linguoboy wrote:
Dang. I was looking forward to an online argument with an American xenophobe on immigration, but it looks like the mods decided the user was a troll and deleted them. At least I've still got a desultory debate on whether homosexuality is "natural" or not to distract me.

Ha, I didn't know that was still an issue...


JAL


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:21 am 
Sanno
Sanno
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:00 am
Posts: 3687
Location: Rogers Park/Evanston
jal wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Dang. I was looking forward to an online argument with an American xenophobe on immigration, but it looks like the mods decided the user was a troll and deleted them. At least I've still got a desultory debate on whether homosexuality is "natural" or not to distract me.

Ha, I didn't know that was still an issue...

It will always be an issue. Now the tack is generally "I'm not saying it's wrong, just that it isn't normal". Usually coupled with some pseudoevolutionary argument about how all individuals were meant to reproduce. (As if, you know, bee colonies weren't a thing.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:40 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 pm
Posts: 1418
You don't need to look at bees to see that there's something strange about insisting that people are "supposed to" do something solely by virtue of their biology.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:52 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:47 pm
Posts: 3581
Location: Milwaukee, US
I just love the arguments against marriage equality based on the idea that marriage is supposed to be for reproduction (as if we ever forbade infertile couples from being married).

_________________
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:19 pm 
Sanno
Sanno
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:00 am
Posts: 3687
Location: Rogers Park/Evanston
Travis B. wrote:
I just love the arguments against marriage equality based on the idea that marriage is supposed to be for reproduction (as if we ever forbade infertile couples from being married).

As we saw most recently in Ireland, the arguments against same-sex marriage generally seem to boil down to (a) "my holy book says 'no'" and (b) "what about the children?" (existing or otherwise).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:20 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 144
Travis B. wrote:
I just love the arguments against marriage equality based on the idea that marriage is supposed to be for reproduction
There are people out there who keep confusing marriage and bug reports?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:26 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:15 pm
Posts: 2085
Location: Spain
Quote:
You don't need to look at bees to see that there's something strange about insisting that people are "supposed to" do something solely by virtue of their biology.

They prob need a new brain even. Teleologic thought is hard to overcome, especially with teleonomy permeating biology even in academia.

You know what's crazy too? The lack of education on asexuality (and aromanticism, woah, don't get me started). People who think it's a hormonal deficit professing the same pseudoevolutionary motifs abound. I've read recently that sex is what makes us real (not natural, not human, REAL) xD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:06 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 pm
Posts: 1418
Wut? Can I get a link to that?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 106  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group