[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Venting thread that still excludes eddy (2)

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 106  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:07 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

there is at least one well-known biological cause for asexuality, although the exat mechanism isn't known yet afaik

in other news, we are well into the seven months out of the year when i am confined to the indoors. i hope i get that remote job so i can move to fucking alaska.

(i should've gone to med school. apparently they throw enormous amounts of money at you if you agree to spend a few years in places like anchorage. enough money that you'd be able to retire within twenty years at most.)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:06 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:07 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:43 am 
Smeric
Smeric

My current stance on same-sex marriage is: I really wish that it would all get sorted out and stop being an issue. I don't care what the outcome is, since it doesn't affect me in the slightest. I just want the discussions to go away, cos they're not interesting.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:13 am 
Smeric
Smeric

It's not even a discussion... it's a struggle. you have the people who want it, pointing out that muh freedom and muh equality and muh justice, and you have the people who don't want it frothing at the mouth about muh book and muh god and muh nature.

don't get me wrong, give 'em the marriage and the adoption and all of it, if you ask me, but it's just not any sort of discussion: It's just people take time to go from " ew homos r groase " to " okay, whatever " to " yeah, why not i guess ". and politicians cater to their sides by fighting over it: they appear all conservative in front of their conservatice constituencies, and they appear all liberal fighting for it in front of their liberal constituencies.

and they won't stop, more generally... once the inevitable happens and homosexuals can wed it'll be the next thing, liberal politicians will need to assert their liberalness and ask for homosexual adoption, or trans bathroom stuff, or something about ace folks or whatever else. and the objections will be the same: muh jaysis plus ew dats groase.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:13 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:23 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:30 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Last edited by jal on Thu May 28, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:31 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:35 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:40 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:30 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:23 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Last edited by Travis B. on Thu May 28, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:14 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

KathAveara, sure, I get you - it's boring because you're not gay or maybe not interested in marriage, and you don't empathize. I could feel the same for abortion, marriage indeed (because it has no bearing on my life either), racism and feminism, and all kinds of social struggle stemming from religious and ethnocentric bigotry; I just happen not to. Everyone has different priorities and scopes of view. It's true that it's harder to empathize with things one does not directly deal with, personally or through a person who's close - sometimes the very magnitude of the thing cannot be correctly perceived and viscerally felt.

Realize, however, that your opinion on a social "debate" (that as Torco points out is actually a struggle for many people's quality of life) being a nuisance to you because you can't give it the time of the day is akin to a foreign kid trying to call Brazilian Carnival off because it's his naptime and Brazil is too noisy for him. And while you're free to voice it... well, what reaction do you expect? The only feelings you can provoke on people for whom it matters range from pity to anger, and you give off a slightly narcissistic vibe. That being your stance; remember it's just not about you. As for me personally, things I don't care for - I just don't comment on them.

Just remember, nobody really wishes for a disagreement to happen, they just want different things, and it happens. We all wish the debate would go away, just with the sensible outcome.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:46 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

"Civil rights" vs. "human rights" seems like a spurious distinction to me. What rights could someone possibly be entitled to that weren't entailed by their humanity? Sure marriage as it exists in the U.S. today is something very intertwined with the government which doesn't "naturally" exist, but the things people demand from their governments are only demanded because they're second order rights derived from the first order rights people [believe that they] have by the fact that they are people, such as the right to freely and consensually start and continue relationships with other people. The state says you cannot visit people in the hospital or live with them in certain configurations (among other things) and these regulations significantly complicate people's ability to fulfill the previously mentioned right without good reason, and thus these regulations should not exist. But they should not exist by virtue of what people are free to do based on their humanity. So I don't see how that distinction exists at all, or at least how it's relevant to this conversation.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:42 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:00 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:20 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:24 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Abortion, on the other hand, is not my problem. I am neither in a position to enforce nor refute it, nor would I choose to take a side.

Access to contraception, on the other hand, is not my problem. I am neither in a position to enforce nor refute it, nor would I choose to take a side.

Equal pay for equal work, on the other hand, is not my problem. I am neither in a position to enforce nor refute it, nor would I choose to take a side.

Etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:56 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Ok, so I worded that really badly. What else is new? I feel you do kind of know what I'm trying to say, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:34 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:35 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:37 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I just had a highly unproductive Reddit argument with a smug jackass that ended with him stopping the conversation all of a sudden, calling me a pedo, and then patronizingly wishing that I had the common sense to get treatment before I boink a kid (never mind that I don't want to boink kids in the first place). Unfortunately this being Reddit I can't really do much about it besides just tell him to stop slandering me for no good reason.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:41 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 106  Next