AAVE names

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: AAVE names

Post by Nortaneous »

The only problem with 'Bastian' is that shortenings of names aren't names. Well, that and if I ever meet someone named Sebastian I'll punch them in the fucking face.

Also fuck that Zebulon is a great name
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Nortaneous wrote:The only problem with 'Bastian' is that shortenings of names aren't names. Well, that and if I ever meet someone named Sebastian I'll punch them in the fucking face.
Then better bring your boxing gloves if you ever come to Germany - quite a lot of Bastians and Sebastians here. :-)

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Whatever man, Sebastian is a fucking AWESOME name

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Tieđđá wrote:Whatever man, Sebastian is a fucking AWESOME name
It still reminds me of the crab from The Little Mermaid for some reason. Perhaps because I honestly can't think of many people in real life with that name.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

Nortaneous wrote:The only problem with 'Bastian' is that shortenings of names aren't names. Well, that and if I ever meet someone named Sebastian I'll punch them in the fucking face.
I've known a few Sebastians here in England, but they mostly go by "Seb".
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

So John's not a real name? You seem to hate a lot of names. Do all of your friends just have Gospel-popular names?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

jmcd wrote:
So John's not a real name? You seem to hate a lot of names. Do all of your friends just have Gospel-popular names?
John is a real name. Jon isn't.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

Nortaneous wrote:
jmcd wrote:
John is a real name. Jon isn't.
I beg to differ. 'Jon' is short for 'Jonathan'. Which means "YHWH has given" in Hebrew (tho, it's an anglicization). Besides, how can you blame people for what somebody else named them?
Last edited by Zontas on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey there.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Zontas wrote:'Jon' is short for 'Jonathan'.
My point exactly.

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

Nortaneous wrote:
Zontas wrote:'Jon' is short for 'Jonathan'.
My point exactly.
You do realize 98% of people who go by that were named 'Jonathan'.
Hey there.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Also fuck that Zebulon is a great name
We have lot of Sebas in Spain.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

John and Jonathan come from different Hebrew names, so they're real names. Jon is just a short version of Jonathan.
Civil War Bugle wrote:Is that not just a variant of Eva or Eve? All the people I know with this name are Jews from the sort of families that would attempt hip but religious names.
Eve in Hebrew is Chava /xava/, so I wouldn't think Ava is a variant of that. My first thought was that it's from Ahava, which is a real Hebrew name meaning 'love'.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

But point is a short version of a real name can be a real name. How about Katie and Catherine then?

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

Astraios wrote:John and Jonathan come from different Hebrew names, so they're real names. Jon is just a short version of Jonathan.
Civil War Bugle wrote:Is that not just a variant of Eva or Eve? All the people I know with this name are Jews from the sort of families that would attempt hip but religious names.
Eve in Hebrew is Khava /xava/, so I wouldn't think Ava is a variant of that. My first thought was that it's from Ahava, which is a real Hebrew name meaning 'love'.
Fix'd. Now that Modern Hebrew has /tS/, it's quite ineffective to make /x/ <Ch ch>.
Hey there.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Would anyone remotely respectable write down Katie on a birth certificate?

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Zontas wrote: Fix'd. Now that Modern Hebrew has /tS/, it's quite ineffective to make /x/ <Ch ch>.
Polish has both but it has /x/ as <ch>.

Melteor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Melteor »

Don't name your kid 'charity' or 'chastity' or 'cooper' or 'sir'.
My sis likes 'Bet(t)a' and I was like wtf is wrong with you. Name your kid 'alpha' or 'omega' but don't aim for the middle.

I also told her you could try "Babar" and shorten it to "Babe" (she'll grow out of and into it). 'Floris' is also pretty.

On the Mormon naming list I saw "Camera" as an obvious take on Cameron; kind of too clever, too cute.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

no, don't name your child omega

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

Tieđđá wrote:
Zontas wrote: Fix'd. Now that Modern Hebrew has /tS/, it's quite ineffective to make /x/ <Ch ch>.
Polish has both but it has /x/ as <ch>.
/x/ as <Ch ch> in Polish is an archaicism since <Hh> represents the same sound. Besides, representing Hebrew sibilants using <Ss> and <Zz> alone isn't usually done at all.
Hey there.

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

meltman wrote:Don't name your kid 'charity' or 'chastity' or 'cooper' or 'sir'.
My sis likes 'Bet(t)a' and I was like wtf is wrong with you. Name your kid 'alpha' or 'omega' but don't aim for the middle.

I also told her you could try "Babar" and shorten it to "Babe" (she'll grow out of and into it). 'Floris' is also pretty.

On the Mormon naming list I saw "Camera" as an obvious take on Cameron; kind of too clever, too cute.
Charity, Faith, and Chastity and other names like that imply you are of religious background. I have nothing much against them until people start naming their kids Preserved, Submit, and Silence.

Beta, Alfa, and Omega are just plain bad. Only Catherine Zeta Jones has managed to pull a Greek letter off as her name. Sho (provided you're Japanese) is an exception, tho.

Ba(r)bar is racist.

Floris is actually quite nice, if a bit old-timey.

Camera kinda sounds like what a crack addict voyeur would name his kids.
Hey there.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Zontas wrote:Fix'd. Now that Modern Hebrew has /tS/, it's quite ineffective to make /x/ <Ch ch>.
Except that Chava is the most common Latin spelling for the name, <ch> has been used for /x/ for ages, and /tS/ is only found in foreign words where it's obvious (צ'יפס, צ'ופצ'יק, chips, chupchik...), or it's written with <tsh> because that's how it's written in native words (תשובה, תשע-עשרה, tshuva, tsha-esre...).

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Zontas wrote:Only Catherine Zeta Jones has managed to pull a Greek letter off as her name.
Apparently, Zeta was the name of her grandmother, who was named after a boat
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

Astraios wrote:
Zontas wrote:Fix'd. Now that Modern Hebrew has /tS/, it's quite ineffective to make /x/ <Ch ch>.
Except that Chava is the most common Latin spelling for the name, <ch> has been used for /x/ for ages, and /tS/ is only found in foreign words where it's obvious (צ'יפס, צ'ופצ'יק, chips, chupchik...), or it's written with <tsh> because that's how it's written in native words (תשובה, תשע-עשרה, tshuva, tsha-esre...).
Most of the time, Hebrew uses Tsadik Geresh in native words. Also, it doesn't fit the pattern set by Th, Dh, and Gh (yes, I'm aware only Tiberian and Yemenite Hebrew have /T/, /D/, and /G/).
Hey there.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Zontas wrote:Most of the time, Hebrew uses Tsadik Geresh in native words.
What native words? :s