Things you love or hate in language textbooks

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Re: Things you love or hate in language textbooks

Post by Ser »

Izambri wrote:I love when a text(book) represents correctly the ela geminada. That is ŀl (el + middle dot + el; two spaces), not l·l (el + middle dot + el, three spaces).
The difference isn't about spaces, it's that in the first case you're using a Unicode point specified as an <l> followed by a middle dot (U+0140): <ŀ>. So it's two characters (<ŀ> + <l>) vs. three characters (<l> + <·> + <l>).

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Izambri wrote:I love when a text(book) represents correctly the ela geminada. That is ŀl (el + middle dot + el; two spaces), not l·l (el + middle dot + el, three spaces).
If I were the new government of Catalunya, I would impose a language reform replacing this character with something more obviously a letter, like ł.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Serafín wrote:
The difference isn't about spaces, it's that in the first case you're using a Unicode point specified as an <l> followed by a middle dot (U+0140): <ŀ>. So it's two characters (<ŀ> + <l>) vs. three characters (<l> + <·> + <l>).
It's about spaces. Don't care about the Unicode characters I used, because it doesn't really matter.
Last edited by Izambri on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Shm Jay wrote:
If I were the new government of Catalunya, I would impose a language reform replacing this character with something more obviously a letter, like ł.
In Old Catalan <ll> became the symbol for [ʎ], so <l-l> was used for [ɫɫ] or [ɫ:]. At the beginning of the 20th century a new codification of Catalan orthography was made by Pompeu Fabra, who decided to avoid <l-l> because it could cause confusion (it would give the word the look of a compound word).
Antoni M. Alcover suggested to Fabra <ŀl> as a provisional solution until a new symbol was found for [ʎ], since their idea was to use <ll> for [ɫɫ] / [ɫ:] and another symbol for the palatal el, which could be <ł> or <>, or <yl> and <ly> (parallel with <ny> [ɲ]), or even <lh> (taken from Occitan).
The change was not made, as it's obvious.

Anyways, Fabra indicated that the ela geminada must be written with three characters (el + middle dot + el) taking up two spaces. The symbol, as a whole, existed in movable types and linotype machines, and separated (like the Unicode symbol <ŀ>) in not-so-old typewriters and PC keyboards. Now there's a project to restore the typographical ela geminada as a whole single character for keyboards and typewriters.
Last edited by Izambri on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

So how about using λ? Then the new Catalunyan government could promote gay rights at the same time :wink:

Or more exotic yet, љ. Or why not borrow a letter from Devanagari and be the first Europeans to use Sanskrit in their alphabet!

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Shm Jay wrote:So how about using λ? Then the new Catalunyan government could promote gay rights at the same time :wink:

Or more exotic yet, љ. Or why not borrow a letter from Devanagari and be the first Europeans to use Sanskrit in their alphabet!
Shm Jay wrote:Or why not borrow a letter from Devanagari and be the first Europeans to use Sanskrit in their alphabet!
Shm Jay wrote:a letter from Devanagari...use Sanskrit in their alphabet!
Shm Jay wrote:a letter from Devanagari...use Sanskrit in their alphabet!
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Shm Jay wrote:So how about using λ? Then the new Catalunyan government could promote gay rights at the same time :wink:

I wouldn't choose any non Latin letter, but in case we should exclude the Latin alphabet, then Greek <λ> may be the best choice. Compared with the other options it doesn't look ugly at all, although it doesn't convince me as an upper case. In any case I find <ł> uglier.

ll
lloc, lluç, llamborda, enllaç, ametlla, castell, fill, ell...
Llorenç, Llucmajor...

lh
lhoc, lhuç, lhamborda, enlhaç, ametlha, castelh, filh, elh...
Lhorenç, Lhucmajor...

yl / ly
lyoc, lyuç, lyamborda, enlyaç, ametlya, casteyl, fiyl, eyl...
Lyorenç, Lyucmajor...

ł
łoc, łuç, łamborda, enłaç, ametła, casteł, fił, eł...
Łorenç, Łucmajor...

λ
λoc, λuç, λamborda, enλaç, ametλa, casteλ, fiλ, eλ...
Λorenç, Λucmajor...

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Izambri wrote:
Serafín wrote:
It's about spaces. Don't care about the Unicode characters I used, because it doesn't really matter.
It's not about spaces. And even then spaces are Unicode points too: but ones with no associated glyph. The difference you posted above was however about these Unicode characters only, <ŀ> vs. <l>+<·>.

If there's people who want to make a whole new character as <l·l> that's something different still.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

लoc, लuç, लamborda, enलaç, ametलa, casteल, fiल, eल...
लorenç, लucmajor...

You asked for it, you get it. D:

Even Georgian or Armenian would probably look more in line than that.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

How far can we take this joke until it is not funny anymore

ㄌoc, ㄌuç, ㄌamborda, enㄌaç, ametㄌa, casteㄌ, fiㄌ, eㄌ...
ㄌorenç, ㄌucmajor...

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Serafín wrote:
Izambri wrote:
Serafín wrote:
It's not about spaces. And even then spaces are Unicode points too: but ones with no associated glyph. The difference you posted above was however about these Unicode characters only, <ŀ> vs. <l>+<·>.

If there's people who want to make a whole new character as <l·l> that's something different still.
I'm not sure you're getting it. Unicode isn't the language of the gods - it's just one way that we can regularise the presentation of writing in a computerised format. A space, for instance, is not a Unicode character - though there may happen to be a unicode character to use in programming the depiction of a space. If the difference in reality is that there are actually three symbols in two spaces, then that's the difference... if Unicode doesn't portray it that way, then there's just a problem in Unicode. [Wouldn't be the first time Unicode people failed to read the small print of the writing systems they're trying to incorporate]. Reality trumps Unicode.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Salmoneus wrote:I'm not sure you're getting it. Unicode isn't the language of the gods - it's just one way that we can regularise the presentation of writing in a computerised format. A space, for instance, is not a Unicode character - though there may happen to be a unicode character to use in programming the depiction of a space. If the difference in reality is that there are actually three symbols in two spaces, then that's the difference... if Unicode doesn't portray it that way, then there's just a problem in Unicode. [Wouldn't be the first time Unicode people failed to read the small print of the writing systems they're trying to incorporate]. Reality trumps Unicode.
Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Not sarcastic!

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

clawgrip wrote:How far can we take this joke until it is not funny anymore
Was it ever funny?~

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

լoc, լuç, լamborda, enլaç, ametլa, casteլ, fiլ, eլ
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Serafín wrote:
Izambri wrote:
Serafín wrote:
It's about spaces. If I used Unicode characters is because I'm writing with a keyboard.

Yeah, well... think again.
No. There's people who wants to redo ela geminada as a whole two space character, not three. This means the symbol would look <ŀl> (2 spaces), not <l·l> (3 spaces). "Whole" means that we should type it in with one key, the same way we type in <ç> or <ñ> with one single key.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

What’s wrong with Lj lj? That’s how they write it in Ljubljana.

Though if you borrow from Sanskrit, I recommend ॡ ḹ, because Sanskrit doesn’t really use it for anything and it needs employment.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Shm Jay wrote:What’s wrong with Lj lj? That’s how they write it in Ljubljana.
<Lj> wouldn't work well in Catalan because it's a valid digraph to represent [ɫd͡ʒ]. We find it in aljama, aljamia, aljamiat, aljava, aljub, aljuba, aljubar, aljuber, seljúcida and de maljust.

GrinningManiac
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GrinningManiac »

How about an L with a flick below it - like how they adapt Cyrillic for Chukchi.

ȴoc, ȴuç, ȴamborda, enȴaç, ametȴa, casteȴ, fiȴ, eȴ

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Izambri wrote:
Shm Jay wrote:What’s wrong with Lj lj? That’s how they write it in Ljubljana.
<Lj> wouldn't work well in Catalan because it's a valid digraph to represent [ɫd͡ʒ]. We find it in aljama, aljamia, aljamiat, aljava, aljub, aljuba, aljubar, aljuber, seljúcida and de maljust.
are they all at morpheme boundaries? idk catalan but they look it

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Looks more like Arabic loans to me, except for maljust.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

There’s always Ļļ, which is used in Latvian.

marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Post by marconatrix »

Shm Jay wrote:There’s always Ļļ, which is used in Latvian.
Though if you look at e.g. Youtube comments, you'll see that they often have to substitute lj for ļ, and similarly for other characters with diacritics. To be fair though ļ is part of an overall system, ņ is equivalent to ñ for example, and there's ķ, ģ and ŗ, although the last was outlawed by the Soviets and is only used by overseas exiles apparently ...
Kyn nag ov den skentel pur ...

Melteor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Melteor »

The thing I most like about the lojban grammar is its use of primitive predicates. While I think a lot of the (in Framenet, "non-core") arguments could be carted off to prepositions (which are another story) I tnk it's really useful to have a basic set of predicates, and Framenet and lojban allows you to extend those predicates maximally.

Also really useful is a good explanation of the prepositions in a cognitive linguistics kind of way. It's even better when the schemas are illustrated. Antonyms are maybe a little less work, but I don't often see dictionaries with definitions that include 'equipollent', 'polar', or 'mixed' in them. :P Look at the pictures in the Ithkuil grammar.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Things you love or hate about language textbooks

Post by Qwynegold »

Serafín wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:I think there should be a vocabulary list to each lesson. That makes it easy to study and test yourself on glosses. I'm thinking that the translation of each word shouldn't be too long. That just makes them harder to memorize.
I'm not saying that such Latin books give long "translations" for words, but that they describe their usage. Here's an example from Keller and Russell's Learn to Read Latin, on the entry animus:

In the Vocabulary list:
    • [...]
      vīta, vītae f. life
      animus, animī m. (rational) soul, mind; spirit; in pl., strong feelings
      arma, armōrum n. pl. arms, weapons
      [...]
And then in the section of Vocabulary Notes:
    • animus, animī m. is the "(rational) soul" or "mind" of a human being. It is distinct from anima, which is the physical soul, that part of a human that would descend to the underworld. By comparison, Greek and English have one word, psychē and "soul" respectively, that is used for both. animus may also mean "heart" as the source of emotion and passion, or it may indicate a specific passion. in the plural, it often means "spirits" in the sense of "strong feelings," and in certain contexts "anger," "courage," or "pride." (Page 25.)
Mm. I think that when translating a word, they don't need to provide every possible synonym, but if a word has several different meanings in the other language, then of course those should be provided. For particularly "untranslateable" words like animus in your example, I think it's good to have some kind of note somewhere in the same chapter that explains it better.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ambrisio »

clawgrip wrote:How far can we take this joke until it is not funny anymore

ㄌoc, ㄌuç, ㄌamborda, enㄌaç, ametㄌa, casteㄌ, fiㄌ, eㄌ...
ㄌorenç, ㄌucmajor...
藖oc, 藖uç, 藖amborda, en藖aç, amet藖a, caste藖, fi藖, e藖...
藖orenç, 藖ucmajor...