Retort in Sanskrit

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Retort in Sanskrit

Post by Drydic »

Ok guys, I need a good Sanskrit language-involving retort. I'm tired of getting hurr hurr hurr say something in a foreign language then hurr hurr hurr when yahoos find out I'm a language geek and not having anything snarky ready.

Prakrits, especially Pali (since I have the best grammar ever in english of that (Chaz Duroiselle's fyi) and thus can go OOO THAT'S THAT ONE THING!!! OOO), are also acceptable.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Retort in Sanskrit

Post by masako »

Have you ever seen:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/pali.html

http://pali.pratyeka.org/

?

The second one includes multiple textbooks in pdf format.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Sanskrit? Go for a click language, dude. If your retort doesn't sound like Starvin' Marvin you're not trying hard enough! Failing that, go for some vowel-free Salishan horror. For that you'd even have the excuse that it's locally native.

Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ambrisio »

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

I just have a thing for the older Indo-Aryan languages. Nothing wrong with New Indo-Aryan whatsoever, I just want this retort to be in a classical IA language.

Salish would be a good backup to have though.
Image Image

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Why does it have to be a retort? Why just quote any old thing, as long as it's in Sanskrit? It's not like they are going to know the difference, anyway.

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Shm Jay wrote:Why does it have to be a retort? Why just quote any old thing, as long as it's in Sanskrit? It's not like they are going to know the difference, anyway.
"What's that mean?"

"________________"
Image Image

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

"It means it’s time for you to learn Sanskrit."
or
"It means it's time for you to learn another language."

Surely you've heard the retort, "It's time for you to get a watch"?

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I think that's a little too pretentious for a retort.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Shm Jay wrote:"It means it’s time for you to learn Sanskrit."
or
"It means it's time for you to learn another language."

Surely you've heard the retort, "It's time for you to get a watch"?
Not seriously from anyone less than 50 years old. Besides who wears watches anymore?
Image Image

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Drydic Guy wrote:Besides who wears watches anymore?
People that don't like stupid retorts from old people?

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Here's this again. Really, who are all these people who are going watchless, acting like they're outdated?
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

Xephyr wrote:
Here's this again. Really, who are all these people who are going watchless, acting like they're outdated?
Why does no one wear timekeeping devices around their wrists that keep time less accurately than separate pieces of technology that they carry around for the purpose of music enjoyment and/or communication?

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Because:

1) Not everyone is a poseur with a i-phone or a small flat computer which they call a phone but who are they kidding exactly
2) V is actually much easier to read in a glance than 11:05 [this is the reason you don't find watches with this latter kind of display anymore]
3) There are watches that have radio connections to atomic clocks if you *really* need that kind of accuracy (and you don't).

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

non-poseur phones also tell the time, and have for decades

this is a bad answer

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Legion wrote:3) There are watches that have radio connections to atomic clocks if you *really* need that kind of accuracy (and you don't).
And even the ones who don't gain/lose what, two or so minutes after 6 months have passed and you have to reset it to/from DST? There are no situations where two minutes make a difference. There are hardly any situations where even ten minutes make a difference.
Pthagnar wrote:non-poseur phones also tell the time, and have for decades

this is a bad answer
And yet watches didn't go extinct "decades" ago.

EDIT: To clarify, I got no problem with people who choose to ditch watches for cellphones... but the increasingly prevalent opinion among many that the extinction of watches is a fait accompli and that anybody who still uses them is a luddite, is a personal pet peeve of mine. But that's a stupid reason to completely derail the thread, so I'm sorry for that. Gentlemen, carry on.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

All I'm going to say is I can't remember seeing a watch on anyone since like '05. Granted they aren't always a high-visibility item, just saying my experience. Which is why I said what I said.
Image Image

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Xephyr wrote:And even the ones who don't gain/lose what, two or so minutes after 6 months have passed and you have to reset it to/from DST? There are no situations where two minutes make a difference. There are hardly any situations where even ten minutes make a difference.
Do you live on an island, eating coconuts and fishing with the tide?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

D.G., you said Salish stuff would be a good backup; I could probably set you up with something like that but I'm not quite sure exactly what kind of retort this is supposed to be.

I need specifics

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Presumably Cev has never lived near civilisation. Two minutes makes a heck of a lot of difference if you're regularly using trains, buses, tubes, etc.

And I do sometimes wear a watch, as an affectation - when wearing a suit, for instance, or in other formal or semi-formal contexts, particularly when dealing with old people.

In terms of using a watch for telling the time - I sometimes have done because I have an ancient and bulky phone, so if i'm wearing a watch anyway and for some strange reason not within thirty seconds of seeing a clock I'll just look at my watch. But other than myself, and some old people (my father, for instance), I haven't seen anyone use a watch for time-telling purposes for... at least five years, maybe more.

In fact generally these days if people for some reason don't have their phone with them, they just rely on the clocks all around them. Indeed, I've had repeated situations where two or three of us have wanted to know the time without having our phones on (or out of power, or left behind, or whatever), and have been looking around for a clock, before realising that we were all wearing watches - the watch just isn't really primarily a chronometric device these days.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Salmoneus wrote:Presumably Cev has never lived near civilisation.
You've been around the board and IRC for how long and you don't know this for a fact!?

And I appreciate the offer, Θ. I'll try to work up some specifics by the end of the day.
Image Image

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Drydic Guy wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:Presumably Cev has never lived near civilisation.
You've been around the board and IRC for how long and you don't know this for a fact!?
Yes, I don't live near civilization. Therefore, I am incorrect when I say that watches are more convenient than phones, because that is not the case for certain urban individuals, and if there's anything mathematics can teach us, it's that all of human life can be modeled with a perfect sphere of consistent density consisting of people who live in major cities. Shit, what the hell was I doing, having opinions???

Brb, gonna go outside and try to hail a taxi. Might take a while, cause there aren't any taxis here, but that is irrelevant!
The Gospel of Thomas

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Since there's been a multigigantormous misunderstanding about what I wrote

Sal, fuck off. You are wrong about Cev.

No, I wasn't supporting you, I was laughing at you for not remembering where Cev lives. Period. Full Stop. Carriage Return.
Image Image