Most beautiful/ugliest languages

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Most beautiful/ugliest languages

Post by Imralu »

Jerian wrote:In general, I can't stand velar or uvular fricatives. They hurt my ears to listen to, and they hurt my throat to try and say.
Drydic Guy wrote:Then you're not making velar or uvular fricatives.
Can you imagine if they did hurt your throat? There'd be entire nations where people would have really fucked up, calloused throats from doing it their whole lives.

I always find English speakers trying to pronounce [x] or [χ] end up with something more like hocking up phlegm, which I don't know how to transcribe. Is there an IPA diacritic for phlegm bubbles?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

There's actually a bush language in Africa where the speakers end up with a lump in their throat. This is documented because it also happened to a researcher that learnt the language for studying purposes.

I wish I could remember it's name.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

bíí’oxúyoo wrote:There's actually a bush language in Africa where the speakers end up with a lump in their throat. This is documented because it also happened to a researcher that learnt the language for studying purposes.
!Xóõ, although they have taken to calling it Taa now for some reason.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ambrisio »

If /x/ hurts the throat, so should English /k/, as the aspiration may result in a partial velar fricative.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Eddy, did you listen to the Salish interview? What did you think?
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

It sounds like it has a lot of lateral fricatives and /eu/, is what stands out most to me. Very interesting and different from what I am used to hearing. I have read some grammars of Salish languages and wondered how all those consonants actually sound in speech.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Jabechasqvi wrote:I have read some grammars of Salish languages.
orly
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

I speak Spanish and when I have a sore throat I hate saying words with [x]. Luckily I can get by without saying [x] IMD - actually I only say [x] occasionally.

And when I have a sore throat, I fucking hate Portuguese and French. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Don't quote me on this one or even ask for a source, but I have read a summary of a study which pointed to that speakers of German and Dutch have a statically higher rate of throat aliments, because of all the fricatives.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Ean wrote:I speak Spanish and when I have a sore throat I hate saying words with [x]. Luckily I can get by without saying [x] IMD - actually I only say [x] occasionally.

And when I have a sore throat, I fucking hate Portuguese and French. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I have a throat infection right now, and I have no problem speaking German ... Well, a few days ago I was having big problems speaking at all, but I noticed no difference between German and English.
bíí’oxúyoo wrote:Don't quote me on this one or even ask for a source, but I have read a summary of a study which pointed to that speakers of German and Dutch have a statically higher rate of throat aliments, because of all the fricatives.
... then again, maybe that's the reason why I have a throat infection. 8)
... although German really only has the odd [x] or [χ] here and there, contrary to the popular stereotype. With the allophony of /r/ in French, the impression I get is that French has even more [χ] kind of noises than German. And χeDutch is just χrediculous!
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ambrisio »

And what would you say about Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, Spanish, Polish, Czech, Welsh, Mandarin, Urdu, Persian, Xhosa, Mongolian, Serbian, Finnish, Tamil, Scots, Old English, ...

Velar fricatives are easy. If you can say /k/, you can say /x/. Just leave a little opening between your tongue and palate.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Imralu wrote:I always find English speakers trying to pronounce [x] or [χ] end up with something more like hocking up phlegm, which I don't know how to transcribe. Is there an IPA diacritic for phlegm bubbles?
I have heard several people insist that it is required and part of the sound. Surprisingly, none of them actually have any linguistic experience.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Ambrisio wrote:And what would you say about Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, Spanish, Polish, Czech, Welsh, Mandarin, Urdu, Persian, Xhosa, Mongolian, Serbian, Finnish, Tamil, Scots, Old English, ...

Velar fricatives are easy. If you can say /k/, you can say /x/. Just leave a little opening between your tongue and palate.

What? Since when did Finnish have /x/?

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

dhokarena56 wrote:
Ambrisio wrote:And what would you say about Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, Spanish, Polish, Czech, Welsh, Mandarin, Urdu, Persian, Xhosa, Mongolian, Serbian, Finnish, Tamil, Scots, Old English, ...

What? Since when did Finnish have /x/?
I think he meant [x].

By the way, can anyone think of a minimal pair in German that contrasts /h/ and and the ach-Laut [x]? The ach-Laut is found in syllable codas and /h/ is found in onsets.
Between vowels, /h/ doesn't, as far as I know, appear before unstressed vowels (as in the endings -e, -est, -er, -en, -ern, -el, -eln, -ich, -ig, -isch, -ung etc) except in spelling pronunciations, such as [ˈgeːhɛ] for <gehe> (instead of the usual [ˈgeːə]), which is why the Dehnungs-H is so rarely, if ever, ambiguous.
And if an ach-Laut appears before a stressed vowel, as far as I'm aware, there's a morpheme boundary straight after it and thus, at least in theory, also a glottal stop, eg. Rauchabzug [ˈʁaʊ̯xˌʔaptsuːk].
Tieđđá wrote:
Imralu wrote:I always find English speakers trying to pronounce [x] or [χ] end up with something more like hocking up phlegm, which I don't know how to transcribe. Is there an IPA diacritic for phlegm bubbles?
I have heard several people insist that it is required and part of the sound. Surprisingly, none of them actually have any linguistic experience.
Can you slap these people for me? That's a bit like saying showering your listener in spit is a required part of /θ/. Phegm hocking and spit spraying are unpleasant possible side effects of these sounds that can happen if your mouth is not used to making the sound pleasantly.
Last edited by Imralu on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
________
MY MUSIC

Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ambrisio »

I did mean [x].

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Imralu wrote: And χeDutch is just χrediculous!

I know that you know, but there are millions of Dutch speakers who manage to avoid the [χ] entirely ;) I don't allow them to come anywhere near me unless I'm imitating a Hollander.

(I like [χ], but the majority of Dutch accents that have a [χ] are pretty ugly, and [χ] doesn't really help matters. I do like it in Hebrew, for example)

I know I've tried to defend Dutch before (I'm a Dutch teacher, after all), but this is what I hear on a daily basis (well, that would be French, actually, but you know...): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsaZz8Co6g0
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Apropos of this discussion, this song,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LOpK09gBwQ

Cornelis Vreeswijk - Bakker de Baksteen

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Jerian wrote:In general, I can't stand velar or uvular fricatives. They hurt my ears to listen to, and they hurt my throat to try and say.
AT LEAST YOU HAVE A UVULA, NEXT TIME BEFORE YOU BULLY ME YOU SHOULD CHECK YOUR UVULA PRIVILEGE!!

By the way, I've resumed my interest in Greek lately, yesterday I was reading stuff in Greek on various websites (= different fonts) and I thought "my, isn't Greek such a beautiful scriptie!", then I remembered this thread and the fact that we probably need 'Most beautiful/ugliest scriptie' thread. It's not only pretty pretty but varied as well, for example the following sign in a Byzantine font (which I like for its resemblance to the early Bulgarian script before that nitwit Peter the-not-Great ruined it)

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

bíí’oxúyoo wrote:Don't quote me on this one or even ask for a source, but I have read a summary of a study which pointed to that speakers of German and Dutch have a statically higher rate of throat aliments, because of all the fricatives.
The only time I ever lost my voice was when I lived in Hamburg. Then again, I was surrounded by snotmonster children, so I was bound to pick something up.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

din wrote:
I know that you know, but there are millions of Dutch speakers who manage to avoid the [χ] entirely ;) I don't allow them to come anywhere near me unless I'm imitating a Hollander.
You don't allow the people who don't say [χ] to come near you? Or the other way around? Or you don't allow [χ]s to come near you?
din wrote:(I like [χ], but the majority of Dutch accents that have a [χ] are pretty ugly, and [χ] doesn't really help matters. I do like it in Hebrew, for example)
Yeah, most Hebrew speakers I've heard make their [χ] very softly, and the language is very flowy. Here's a song by Yael Naim.
din wrote:I know I've tried to defend Dutch before (I'm a Dutch teacher, after all), but this is what I hear on a daily basis (well, that would be French, actually, but you know...): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsaZz8Co6g0
I love that accent. I've heard it before. Which area is it from? The southern part? Belgium? Maybe I'm just imagining it, but it seems to have a [ç] [x] allophony thing, like German.
________
MY MUSIC

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Imralu wrote:
din wrote:(I like [χ], but the majority of Dutch accents that have a [χ] are pretty ugly, and [χ] doesn't really help matters. I do like it in Hebrew, for example)
Yeah, most Hebrew speakers I've heard make their [χ] very softly, and the language is very flowy. Here's a song by Yael Naim.
viewtopic.php?p=908460#p908460

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

Imralu wrote:
din wrote:
You don't allow the people who don't say [χ] to come near you? Or the other way around? Or you don't allow [χ]s to come near you?
Yeah, just the [χ]'s. (now there's a sentence that only works in writing)

I can forgive the Dutch speakers who produce them
Imralu wrote:
The opening line really drives that point home doesn't it :D It is a nice song.
Imralu wrote:
din wrote:I know I've tried to defend Dutch before (I'm a Dutch teacher, after all), but this is what I hear on a daily basis (well, that would be French, actually, but you know...): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsaZz8Co6g0
I love that accent. I've heard it before. Which area is it from? The southern part? Belgium? Maybe I'm just imagining it, but it seems to have a [ç] [x] allophony thing, like German.
Yes, it's standard tv-Flemish. They've unofficially standardized their language for speaking purposes, but they bizarrely use standard Dutch as their written standard, and still look down on perfectly acceptable Belgicisms which are basically used in all registers in spoken conversation.

You're not imagining anything-- most Flemish and southern Dutch accents (in Limburg and Brabant) pronounce /x/ [ç] before or after /i, e/.

merijn
Lebom
Lebom

Post by merijn »

din wrote:

(I like [χ], but the majority of Dutch accents that have a [χ] are pretty ugly, and [χ] doesn't really help matters. I do like it in Hebrew, for example)

I know I've tried to defend Dutch before (I'm a Dutch teacher, after all), but this is what I hear on a daily basis (well, that would be French, actually, but you know...): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsaZz8Co6g0
However, many speakers who don't have a [χ] for g or ch, do have a uvular R. I am such a speaker myself. (I am originally from the Meierij in North-Brabant, although I have lived in Utrecht for almost half of my life)

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Nobody's gonna comment on the song I posted? :?

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

merijn wrote:
din wrote:

However, many speakers who don't have a [χ] for g or ch, do have a uvular R. I am such a speaker myself. (I am originally from the Meierij in North-Brabant, although I have lived in Utrecht for almost half of my life)
But the uvular R is gentle and inoffensive. ;) My accent has it, too.

- - -

I also didn't know that Cornelis Vreeswijk grew up in Sweden and was well(?) known there. But then, I don't really know too much about him
(happy now?)