question about renaissance Latin compound orthography

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
merijn
Lebom
Lebom

question about renaissance Latin compound orthography

Post by merijn »

I recently started doing an external PhD (a PhD that you don't get payed for) at the University of Leiden, whose Latin name is Academia Lugduno Batava. This Latin name has always puzzled me, and yesterday, while I could do something useful with my time, I spent some time searching for what exactly the grammatical structure was. I found out that Lugduno Batava is in all likelihood one word, an adjective derived from the Latin name of Leiden Lugdunum Batavorum (this is because at the time of the founding of the University they believed that a settlement from the Roman era called Lugdunum or Lugdunum Batavorum was Leiden's predecessor, something modern-day scholars don't believe any longer). So my question is, was it common for people in 1575 when the university was founded to write compound adjectives as two words in scholarly Latin?

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Re: question about renaissance Latin compound orthography

Post by Thry »

I guess. It beats writing it as one word in important stuff such as place names where no funny characters are expected. Compare to this, which does have hyphenation though.