Isolating CV languages?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Cael
Sanci
Sanci

Isolating CV languages?

Post by Cael »

From my understanding most languages with CVC syllables tend to be isolating or fusional; and those languages with CV syllables tend to be agglutinating or polysynthetic. Does anyone here know of a language that is CV and isolating or CVC and agglutinating?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Isolating CV languages?

Post by Aurora Rossa »

The Polynesian languages, like Hawai'ian and Māori, are mostly isolating and have pretty much nothing but CV. Plenty of agglutinating languages are CVC, probably most of them really. Look at Turkish and Quechua for some obvious examples.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

what

Cael
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Cael »

finlay wrote:what
what what?

Trebor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trebor »

Cael wrote:From my understanding most languages with CVC syllables tend to be isolating or fusional; and those languages with CV syllables tend to be agglutinating or polysynthetic.
What are some representative example languages?
Does anyone here know of a language that is CV and isolating or CVC and agglutinating?
Yoruba (Kwa, Niger-Congo; Nigeria) has syllables of V, CV, or SN (syllabic nasal), and is more isolating than English. I don't believe that even /n/ is possible as a coda.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Japanese and Korean are CVC and agglutinating. Technically Japanese is CCVC where C2 can only be /j/ and C3 only /ɴ/ or /Q/ or whatever you call it.
Last edited by clawgrip on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Trebor wrote:
Does anyone here know of a language that is CV and isolating or CVC and agglutinating?
Yoruba (Kwa, Niger-Congo; Nigeria) has syllables of V, CV, or SN (syllabic nasal), and is more isolating than English. I don't believe that even /n/ is possible as a coda.
That's correct, Yoruba disallows any coda consonants whatsoever (orthographic syllable final <n> simply marks nasalization). Technically /n/ isn't even a phoneme in Yoruba but that is another conversation.

Kuturere Reo
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kuturere Reo »

Aurora Rossa wrote:The Polynesian languages, like Hawai'ian and Māori, are mostly isolating and have pretty much nothing but CV.
Well Polynesian is actually (C)V rather than CV - although consonant loss could have produced the present state from an hypothetical pre-pre-Polynesian CVC.
Shm Jay wrote:In other words, you have an idiotlect.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I assumed that CV and CVC mentioned in the OP included things like (C)V and (C)V(C). Is there any language that is always CVC in every syllable?

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

clawgrip wrote:I assumed that CV and CVC mentioned in the OP included things like (C)V and (C)V(C). Is there any language that is always CVC in every syllable?
All languages permit open syllables, with the only exception I've ever heard claimed being for Arrernte which supposedly has VC(C) as its only syllable pattern. Which is so completely whack that it's hard to credit. On the other hand, languages that permit only CV probably exist, though I can't think offhand of any completely perfect examples.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

No, Arrernte really is VC(C), it's just that it drops word-inital schwa and tacks a schwa onto the end of every phrase, or maybe word, I forget.

Anyway, to answer OP's question: Africa, Polynesia, most of western North America, and I am honestly surprised that there's anyone here who still hasn't heard of Saanich or Nuxalk.

edit: Why is Saanich spelled with <aa>? Are there any other words that have <aa> at all where the spelling isn't taken completely from a language where <aa> is a thing? 'Saanich' comes from W̱SÁNEĆ /x_wsen@tS/, so unless there was an earlier orthography with <aa>...
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

http://wals.info/feature/combined/12A/22A doesn't suggest any particular correlation between syllable structure type and morphological type.

Trebor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trebor »

Seven Fifty wrote:http://wals.info/feature/combined/12A/22A doesn't suggest any particular correlation between syllable structure type and morphological type.
If one looks even at Bantu alone, one will see that this agglutinative subgroup of Niger-Congo generally has phonotactics limiting syllables to the shapes vowel, vowel+nasal, stop/fricative/affricate/etc.+vowel, prenasalized stop/etc.+vowel, stop/fricative/affricate/etc.+vowel+nasal, and prenasalized stop/etc.+vowel+nasal.

Cael
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Cael »

Trebor wrote:
Cael wrote:From my understanding most languages with CVC syllables tend to be isolating or fusional; and those languages with CV syllables tend to be agglutinating or polysynthetic.
I was thinking of langauges like English, Chinese for CVC/isolating and the Native American languages for agglutinanting/CV languages

P.S. Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have gained some good insight.

Trebor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trebor »

Cael wrote:I was thinking of langauges like English, Chinese for CVC/isolating and the Native American languages for agglutinanting/CV languages
Ahh, OK. But there are counterexamples not to be overlooked--in the latter category, Georgian and the Inuit languages come to mind.

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

Cael wrote:
Trebor wrote:
I was thinking of langauges like English, Chinese for CVC/isolating and the Native American languages for agglutinanting/CV languages.
Huh? Don't most Native American languages tend to not be CV?

EDIT: See this map: http://wals.info/feature/12A?s=20&z1=30 ... 6f&v3=cd00

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

man in the pacific northwest you're lucky to get V at all
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Cael
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Cael »

8Deer wrote:
Cael wrote:
Trebor wrote:
I was thinking of langauges like English, Chinese for CVC/isolating and the Native American languages for agglutinanting/CV languages.
Huh? Don't most Native American languages tend to not be CV?

EDIT: See this map: http://wals.info/feature/12A?s=20&z1=30 ... 6f&v3=cd00
I guess they are. That was a big misconception on my part

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Uh, Hmong?
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Hmong could be analyzed as sort of having coda /N/ if you cross your eyes and squint. Nuosu, on the other hand, has no coda consonants at all under even the most ridiculous somewhat-plausible analysis.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.