Racist words for White People

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Racist words for White People

Post by Salmoneus »

A famous one that has at least been used derogatively in the past is 'pakeha', 'non-maori', specifically 'white'. I don't know to what extent it's used in a racist way today, though - you'd have to ask a new zealander.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I forgot to ask the New Zealandese woman in my class about that this morning, otherwise I'd have found out for you about pakeha.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

If we count Jews for white people (and I don't see reasons why we shouldn't) there are plenty of racist words for that :D

inb4 a typical zbb nitwit posting an img of beta israelis

apparently you can be a "dirty white shite" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... andan.html

yeah yeah, it's the daily fail and so on

kanejam
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by kanejam »

Salmoneus wrote:A famous one that has at least been used derogatively in the past is 'pakeha', 'non-maori', specifically 'white'. I don't know to what extent it's used in a racist way today, though - you'd have to ask a new zealander.
Pākehā has never really been used pejoratively; some people don't like the term and I'm sure it has been used pejoratively but it essentially just means New Zealander of European (generally British or Irish but can be others) descent. I certainly don't mind being called pākehā and it's very common in the media and in some legislation. There is a folk etymology that it means 'white devil' but it is unfounded.
If you cannot change your mind, are you sure you have one?

Here's a thread on Oscan.

Radagast revived
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Radagast revived »

Many Nahuatl speakers use "Coyotl" meaning "coyote" for outsiders. I was once referred to as "ixpitzonaca" meaning "pigskinfaced" referring to my skin color.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Obviously Dutch doesn't have a pejorative for white people in general as they are the standard, but words for very pale people are obviously present, such as bleekscheet 'white fart'. Very white legs would be melkflessen 'milk bottles'. A tongue-in-cheek """"pejorative""" for a Dutch person would be kaaskop 'cheese head'.

Most native languages of the americas, and probably elsewhere, have words for white people and for native people. White people are often considered almost of a different species. One could find that offensive to some degree...

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

sirdanilot wrote:Most native languages of the americas, and probably elsewhere, have words for white people and for native people. White people are often considered almost of a different species. One could find that offensive to some degree...
Pitjantjatjara has anangu for an Aboriginal person, and walypala and piran for a white person.

Chargone
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Chargone »

kanejam wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:A famous one that has at least been used derogatively in the past is 'pakeha', 'non-maori', specifically 'white'. I don't know to what extent it's used in a racist way today, though - you'd have to ask a new zealander.
Pākehā has never really been used pejoratively; some people don't like the term and I'm sure it has been used pejoratively but it essentially just means New Zealander of European (generally British or Irish but can be others) descent. I certainly don't mind being called pākehā and it's very common in the media and in some legislation. There is a folk etymology that it means 'white devil' but it is unfounded.
How offensive/racist it is seems to depend a bit on who's using it, how, about who. But negative reactions to it are usually 'annoyed you felt the need to make a racial distinction at all' rather than 'offended by racist term', in my experience (limited as that may be).

Etymology wise there's a few others for it, refering to various creatures one wouldn't much like to be compaired to (i forget which... fleas maybe? It's been a long time since i had reason to care), but at this point most people of sense have concluded "We don't know, we don't care, there's no way to find out, it's not helpful anyway, and the current meaning is this."

Someone trying to be offensive/racist may well use "whitey". Either as a sort of generalised abstract "Whitey'll take it all, we'll never see a cent" or as a taunting form of address "you like that, Whitey?" Not sure how common it is, but it exists, and is quite offensive (if one choses to be offended by such things).

Hope i explained that well enough.

kanejam
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by kanejam »

Chargone wrote:
kanejam wrote:
How offensive/racist it is seems to depend a bit on who's using it, how, about who. But negative reactions to it are usually 'annoyed you felt the need to make a racial distinction at all' rather than 'offended by racist term', in my experience (limited as that may be).

Etymology wise there's a few others for it, refering to various creatures one wouldn't much like to be compaired to (i forget which... fleas maybe? It's been a long time since i had reason to care), but at this point most people of sense have concluded "We don't know, we don't care, there's no way to find out, it's not helpful anyway, and the current meaning is this."

Someone trying to be offensive/racist may well use "whitey". Either as a sort of generalised abstract "Whitey'll take it all, we'll never see a cent" or as a taunting form of address "you like that, Whitey?" Not sure how common it is, but it exists, and is quite offensive (if one choses to be offended by such things).

Hope i explained that well enough.
Yes I agree with what you've said. I think the main thing is that most terms in English are racial terms used pejoratively (think 'f***ing African-American bastards!') as opposed to actually racist terms (think 'f****ing n***ers!'). The only term I can think of other than just Whitey (which is sort of the equivalent of 'the Man' for Māori and Pasifika people) is honky and I certainly don't find that racist, any more than calling black people 'black' is racist anymore. Would you agree?
If you cannot change your mind, are you sure you have one?

Here's a thread on Oscan.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Most of the time racist Japanese people get by by not even bothering to distinguish between the non-Japanese rabble. However, like several other potentially offensive words in Japanese, gaijin can be used offensively or not depending on context and intent, though I guess a lot of people who are not Japanese seem to dislike the term.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

Presumably gaulois (Gaul/gaulish, that is) has a pejorative meaning among the (sub)urban youth in France; pretty much exactly what you're looking for. The main issue is, most of the quotes I can find are from nationalist websites, so I'm not entirely confident about this.
Français isn't really insulting, but it can be said with a fair amount of disdain in the right context. (I heard it used as an insult by a very white, very French, white-trash guy. Go figure.)

(From what I hear, these days, the consecrated term for 'white person' is babtou, from Wolof tubaap, but it's rather innocuous.)

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Ars Lande wrote:Français isn't really insulting, but it can be said with a fair amount of disdain in the right context. (I heard it used as an insult by a very white, very French, white-trash guy. Go figure.)
How does/did that even make sense?

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

No idea. But I think it didn't really make any sense - that guy wasn't the sharpest person I met.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

This is like the infamous use of "go back to your own country" by immigrants in Switzerland (i.e., its exact opposite). Whether it is irony or has simply drifted to become an insult through a filter of people who do not know German I don't know.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

richard1631978 wrote:A few languages used variations of Fereng, originally just used for the French.
No, it's original meaning is 'Frank', with widening generalisations as one moves further afield. If I thought it meant 'French', I'd find its usage in Thai insulting.
Theta wrote:The corresponding word in Thai (faràng) doesn't seem to really be 'racist', at least in my experience. I've heard it used completely neutrally more often than not, but I suppose if you wanted to you certainly *could* use it in an insulting way.
The Thai word has a cultural element to it as well as a racial element. The blacks of the USA are _farànɡ dam_ 'black farang'. The Thai word _faràng_ is derogatory in so far as it implies non-Thai, but I think that's as far as it goes.

richard1631978
Sanci
Sanci

Post by richard1631978 »

Has anyone mentioned the Hindi "Gora"?

The Japanese term "bata-kusai" "stinking of butter" is almost one, but normally used for Japanese people who are considered too westernised.

Copperknickers
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Copperknickers »

Of course, any language spoken by white people is not going to have a racist word for other white people, they will only have nationality based insults, like 'Paddy' for Irish people, or 'Limies' for Brits, or 'Yanks' for Americans (and the latter vary hugely depending on context as to how offensive they are. You'd probably start a fight, calling Irish people Paddies in a pub in Dublin, but most Brits don't even know what Limies means).

The only way they would, is if it is a dialect of a European language spoken by black people, for example Jamaican English has the word 'Duppy' which means literally 'ghost', for white people. Although it now more commonly refers to beating someone up very badly, i.e. turning them into a ghost. There are also the words 'pinky' and 'bakra', which originally referred to white slavers.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Ah yes, "limie". Mildly offensive. Don't mind Australian "pom". Britisher, now that's offensive; makes my skin crawl.
It was about time I changed this.

Copperknickers
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Copperknickers »

ol bofosh wrote:Ah yes, "limie". Mildly offensive. Don't mind Australian "pom". Britisher, now that's offensive; makes my skin crawl.
And nor forgetting the most deadly and vicious insult in the Anglophone world: calling a Scottish person 'English'.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Copperknickers wrote:
ol bofosh wrote:Ah yes, "limie". Mildly offensive. Don't mind Australian "pom". Britisher, now that's offensive; makes my skin crawl.
And nor forgetting the most deadly and vicious insult in the Anglophone world: calling a Scottish person 'English'.
Quite. The first instance of this eventually resulted in The Battle of Bannockburn.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

'white' has a negative connotation for a lot of people (most of whom are white, but blacks do it too) that no other words are really necessary
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Copperknickers wrote:
Everyone in Spain seems to think Scotland is part of England (anyone from the British Isles is "English"), and no one seems to know about Wales.
I get a Scottish newspaper (Sunday Post), and still my girlfriend says it's "English". Next time she does it I'll say Geneva is part of France, and the rest of Switzerland, along with Austria, belongs to Germany.

That reminds me, I met a person with a perfect RP accent a few weeks ago. I asked "Are you English?" and he said "Yes. Well, I come from North Wales." If I hear an RP accent I will not assume ever again that they're English. Actually, I don't know if any English toff has actually been English since 1066, have they? :wink:
It was about time I changed this.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Nortaneous wrote:'white' has a negative connotation for a lot of people (most of whom are white, but blacks do it too) that no other words are really necessary
Really ? I don't think that's true outside such fine films as Undercover Brother and the imagination of people who think the white race is now discriminated against.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Torco wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:'white' has a negative connotation for a lot of people (most of whom are white, but blacks do it too) that no other words are really necessary
Really ? I don't think that's true outside such fine films as Undercover Brother and the imagination of people who think the white race is now discriminated against.
Note: Nort is of the latter grouping.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Nort is a Dan Cardamon? 0_o