It's Irish, Jim, but not as we know it!

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

It's Irish, Jim, but not as we know it!

Post by Particles the Greek »

I found these snippets in a recently-published fantasy novel which will remain nameless. See if you can work out what they're supposed to mean, and, if your Irish is better than mine, provide a proper translation :-) There were no diacritics in the original.

mise toil abair tusa faic

muid ga an iarann go cearta airm, ar an cogadh

an dia cogadh
Non fidendus est crocodilus quis posteriorem dentem acerbum conquetur.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: It's Irish, Jim, but not as we know it!

Post by Hallow XIII »

araceli wrote:I found these snippets in a recently-published fantasy novel which will remain nameless. See if you can work out what they're supposed to mean, and, if your Irish is better than mine, provide a proper translation :-) There were no diacritics in the original.

an dia cogadh
Google Translate Irish? These are incredibly ungrammatical, but here is my best guess:

1) "I will say you see", literally. Note that the will is actually the noun will, which I heavily suspect means that somebody looked up will in a dictionary and went with it. No idea what this is supposed to be.

2) "We at the iron certainly (armies/weapons), on the war". Still no idea what this is supposed to be but there is something about iron and war, which at least provides a hint to the intended meaning unlike the first one.

3) This is evidently supposed to be "the god of war", but the author forgot to use the genitive (an dia cogaidh).

tl;dr this is a lot of things but not Irish.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

"I will tell you nothing!" (Correct: Ní déarfaidh mé faic leat.)
Ga here is presumably "need (n.), necessity". Cearta airm looks like it might be an attempt to pluralise "right arm", but I'm not sure what the go ("to, till") is doing there. Ar an cogadh is probably "for the war".

Not going to attempt to retranslate this.

Edit: Wait, cearta could be ceárta "forge (n.)", in which case this would read, "We need iron to forge weapons for the war." (Correct: Tá gá againn le hiarann chun airm a ghaibhniú mar gheall ar an chogadh.)
an dia cogadh
*an dia cogaidh isn't really kosher either. "The God of War" or "the War God" would be Dia an Cogaidh. But given the order, perhaps what they were really trying to say was "the God War" or "War of the Gods"?
Last edited by linguoboy on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Well we're at it, can anyone transcribe and translate Altus Silva?

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Declan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Declan »

linguoboy wrote: Edit: Wait, cearta could be ceárta "forge (n.)", in which case this would read, "We need iron to forge weapons for the war." (Correct: Tá gá againn le hiarann chun airm a ghaibhniú mar gheall ar an chogadh.)
That had me totally stumped; well done! I've heard my fair share of bad Irish but that had me totally beaten.
[quote]Great wit and madness near abide, and fine a line their bounds divide.[/quote]

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

linguoboy wrote:
an dia cogadh
*an dia cogaidh isn't really kosher either. "The God of War" or "the War God" would be Dia an Cogaidh. But given the order, perhaps what they were really trying to say was "the God War" or "War of the Gods"?
I would guess it's the natural tendency of Germanic-speakers to put the article where their language requires it and not where Irish puts it (cf me).

Also, minus points for me for forgetting that sense of faic.

Kudos for figuring this out though. Now let us find the perpetrator and burn down their house.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

*runs from clanhold to clanhold with a burning cross*
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

The truth can be revealed!
linguoboy wrote:Edit: Wait, cearta could be ceárta "forge (n.)", in which case this would read, "We need iron to forge weapons for the war." (Correct: Tá gá againn le hiarann chun airm a ghaibhniú mar gheall ar an chogadh.)
This is what the speaker says afterwards in the "Common Tongue"...
linguoboy wrote:
an dia cogadh
and this is apparently supposed to be "the God-War", for the same reason. Does this qualify for some sort of Laziest! Conlanging! Ever!?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Nah just bad Irish.
Image Image

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Nessari wrote:Nah just bad Irish.
But of a peculiarly perverse calibre. Just plunking, "We need iron to forge weapons for the war" into Google Translate will get you, "Ní mór dúinn iarann ​​chun airm a bhrionnú le haghaidh an chogaidh". Sure, I could quibble with the word choice etc. (e.g. ní mór do requires a verb-noun complement and better translated as "we must", brionnaigh means "forge" in the sense of "falsify") but the syntax is basically sound and the resulting sentence is entirely comprehensible to a bilingual. I've seen plenty of bad Irish in my time and I literally could not do worse even if I'd set my mind to it.

Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

linguoboy wrote:I've seen plenty of bad Irish in my time and I literally could not do worse even if I'd set my mind to it.
Of course, given the context, it may have just been a presentation of Something Intended To Be Taken As Foreign, but it would have been better to type random characters rather than display one's ignorance of linguistics by doing a word-for-word translation with a random dictionary.

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

Nessari wrote:*runs from clanhold to clanhold with a burning cross*
Some sick part of my brain forcibly modified that to *runs from klanhold to klanhold with a burning cross* just to make the rest of my brain uncomfortable.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

linguoboy wrote:I literally could not do worse even if I'd set my mind to it.
nil si smaoinigh mise an sin mise leithreas dein nios measa da intinn tacar taim si
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

marconatrix
Lebom
Lebom

Post by marconatrix »

Wonder what was the source for this folly. muid rather than sinn (for 'we') marks it out as a Northern Irish dialect, I think. Incidentally this is one of the few examples I know of, apart from English possessive 's where an inflexion has broken free and become a free morpheme.

Stuff equally rubbish to this has appeared on 'bilingual' signs in Wales, some of it complete gibberish, thanks to Google and the like. Basically so long as it looks vaguely Welsh who cares? That's their attitude. Probably even worse in Ireland where the "First Official Language" is treated with utter contempt, their Language Commissioner has just resigned in disgust.
Kyn nag ov den skentel pur ...

corcaighist
Niš
Niš

Post by corcaighist »

WORST book I have ever read, and not only because of being put off because of the painful "Irish". Only got half way through it. Everything was lazy: conlanging, worldbuilding, story, characters, writing.....

When one of the main characters died but I didn't feel ANYTHING, I knew I had no interest in finishing it and regretted the time wasted.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Not even joy at them dying? That's some really bad writing :(
Image Image

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

marconatrix wrote:Wonder what was the source for this folly. muid rather than sinn (for 'we') marks it out as a Northern Irish dialect, I think.
I thought muid was the norm everywhere but Munster. Ó Siadhail gives muid for Cois Fhairrge.

Declan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Declan »

linguoboy wrote:
marconatrix wrote:Wonder what was the source for this folly. muid rather than sinn (for 'we') marks it out as a Northern Irish dialect, I think.
I thought muid was the norm everywhere but Munster. Ó Siadhail gives muid for Cois Fhairrge.
Bar the Caighdeán, that's my experience.
[quote]Great wit and madness near abide, and fine a line their bounds divide.[/quote]