American perceptions of British accents

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: American perceptions of British accents

Post by Rhetorica »

finlay wrote:Actually there isn't a word in common use. "People from Edinburgh" is fine. Edinburgers is possible but sounds silly.
Any demonym ending in "-er" sounds silly. Afrikaaner, Quebecker (not really considered correct but it still happens), Praguer, Michigander (seriously? is there a Michigoose, too?), Budapester (because a city name ending in "pest" wasn't silly enough), Belgrader (now you really are grading bells...), Winnipegger (hey guys, let's go Winnipegging!)... and obviously Frankfurter and Hamburger sound like food, especially in AmE.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Does it make it more or less silly that it used to be Pesth?
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Or that it's pronounced [ˈpɛʃt] rather than [ˈpɛst]?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

It certainly is ridiculous that a suffix used to refer to people in English might be used to refer to people in a slightly different way in German.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Rhetorica wrote:
finlay wrote:Actually there isn't a word in common use. "People from Edinburgh" is fine. Edinburgers is possible but sounds silly.
Any demonym ending in "-er" sounds silly. Afrikaaner, Quebecker (not really considered correct but it still happens), Praguer, Michigander (seriously? is there a Michigoose, too?), Budapester (because a city name ending in "pest" wasn't silly enough), Belgrader (now you really are grading bells...), Winnipegger (hey guys, let's go Winnipegging!)... and obviously Frankfurter and Hamburger sound like food, especially in AmE.
Elende Kanadier
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Karinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Karinta »

Funny thing - my brother (possesses a Midwestern/Western hybrid, pretty much GenAm) heard the RP pronunciation of "auburn" when he was little, and for a time, said it as [ɔɹbən] or [ɔɹbɪn].

On-topic - I think the non-rhotacism and the /u/ realised as [y] or [ʉ] is what distinguishes British from GenAm for most people (IE dumb "Mairkins"), along with the vocabulary.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

If that's the case, it's inappropriate because both of those features are found in both the US and the UK. Would you really say a New Yorker sounds British for example?

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

jmcd wrote:If that's the case, it's inappropriate because both of those features are found in both the US and the UK. Would you really say a New Yorker sounds British for example?
They don't sound British, but they do share more features than most, don't they?

When I've taken "what accent most suits me" the New York part of the map shows up prominently.
It was about time I changed this.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

The features they share are with the Soueast of England, not the whole of Britain.