Vowel in 'awesome'

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Vowel in 'awesome'

Post by Terra »

Watch http://youtu.be/-Uj96kKzmVY?t=4m38s . She says "awesome" twice. What's the first vowel in each one? Is it [A] and then [O]? Or is it something else?

Also, does 'awe(some)' normally have [O] in General American? (My dialect merges /A/ and /O/, so I find it very hard to tell the difference between the two.)

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Vowel in 'awesome'

Post by Pogostick Man »

Terra wrote:Also, does 'awe(some)' normally have [O] in General American? (My dialect merges /A/ and /O/, so I find it very hard to tell the difference between the two.)
I would say so. I speak Inland North and I think I have either [ɔ] or [ɒ] for that vowel (either way, it isn't /ɑ/).
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Grunnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Grunnen »

Terra wrote:Watch http://youtu.be/-Uj96kKzmVY?t=4m38s . She says "awesome" twice. What's the first vowel in each one? Is it [A] and then [O]? Or is it something else?

Also, does 'awe(some)' normally have [O] in General American? (My dialect merges /A/ and /O/, so I find it very hard to tell the difference between the two.)
The way I hear it, she says she practiced saying [A]some, and she used to say [O]some.
χʁɵn̩
gʁonɛ̃g
gɾɪ̃slɑ̃

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

I hear [ɑ] then [o] or some such diphthong, but definitely not [ɔ]

Boşkoventi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Boşkoventi »

The first time is with [ɑ]. The second is the typical Southern realization of /ɔ/, which I would call [ɑɔ̯].

"It's [ɑɔ̯səm]."
Radius Solis wrote:The scientific method! It works, bitches.
Είναι όλα Ελληνικά για μένα.

Ultimate Ridley
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Ultimate Ridley »

I usually pronounce it [ɑsəm] but sometimes the [ɑ] is instead a or [ø] when I elect to pronounce words stupidly for no reason (I sometimes do this around friends).

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

For me, it's [ˈoːsəm]
Ultimate Ridley wrote:I usually pronounce it [ɑsəm] but sometimes the [ɑ] is instead a or [ø] when I elect to pronounce words stupidly for no reason (I sometimes do this around friends).
I sometimes do this in job interviews.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC