Looking for sound changes

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
vtardif
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Looking for sound changes

Post by vtardif »

As you're quite likely aware, many dialects of English in North America have /d/ /t/ > [ɾ] / V_V . I could see a similar change becoming contrastive.
(aka vbegin)

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Is

ʍ/x/_#

attested anywhere...or at least look plausible?
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

That should go to the Sound Change Quickie thread.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

I looked for it and couldn't find it. :/
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

Chengjiang wrote:I don't know much about Afro-Asiatic outside of Semitic, so it's quite possible I'm wrong about this, but I thought there were some correspondences between implosives in some branches of Afro-Asiatic and ejectives in others. I thought Chadic implosives corresponded at least in part with ejective consonants in some other branches of the family, for instance. I'm having trouble finding a paper that examines this subject directly, though. Tell me, guys: Am I dimly remembering something genuine or is it a load of bollocks?
I dimly remember it too. If all else fails, you could always look through Dolgopolsky's Nostratic dictionary.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

If you want completely nonsensical changes resulting in velar stops, then you can try /sw/ > /k/. It's attested in Armenian (though the result was /kʰ/). I guess /zw/ if its possible could get you /g/ by analogy.
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

I'd imagine /sw/ > /k/ would be something like /sw/ > /hw/ > /xw/ > /kw/ > /k/, of course, the /w/ could be lost anywhere along the way, not just the end.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

Acid Badger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Acid Badger »

Chagen wrote:If you want completely nonsensical changes resulting in velar stops, then you can try /sw/ > /k/. It's attested in Armenian (though the result was /kʰ/). I guess /zw/ if its possible could get you /g/ by analogy.
It's not nonsensical if you don't just pull out one particular change without context. Armenian had *w > /k g/ and clusters with /s/ followed by a plosive regularly produce voiceless aspirates. So /sw/ > /sg~sk/ > /kʰ/.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Kinyarwanda had w > kw~gw~k~g in a few clusters, so sw > skw > sk seems reasonable. Tsakonian and a few dialects of Spanish had sP > P_h.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

Nortaneous wrote:Tsakonian and a few dialects of Spanish had sP > P_h.
Some parts of Middle Indo-Aryan as well. These and Armenian also have *s > h so that was probably an intermediate here.
Richard W wrote:
Chengjiang wrote:I don't know much about Afro-Asiatic outside of Semitic, so it's quite possible I'm wrong about this, but I thought there were some correspondences between implosives in some branches of Afro-Asiatic and ejectives in others. I thought Chadic implosives corresponded at least in part with ejective consonants in some other branches of the family, for instance. I'm having trouble finding a paper that examines this subject directly, though. Tell me, guys: Am I dimly remembering something genuine or is it a load of bollocks?
I dimly remember it too. If all else fails, you could always look through Dolgopolsky's Nostratic dictionary.
Dolgopolsky is a PITA to read, but here are a few examples from Bomhard's slightly more accessible Nostratic dictionary. I can't seem to find any examples of this involving Chadic (or indeed, any Chadic emphatics at all, tsk tsk), but Cushitic delivers:
Dahalo /ɗaħ-/ ~ Semitic *tʼaħan "to grind"
Dahalo /ɗeːkʼʷáːni/ "shadow" ~ Ethio-Semitic *tʼākʼā "darkness"
Dahalo /ɗukʼ-/ "to be destroyed", Sidamo /ɗoːk-/ "to burst" ~ Kambaata /tʼoːkʼ-/ "to burst", Semitic *tʼakʼtʼakʼ- "to beat"
(though this looks seriously onomatopoetic)

For labials there seems to be one example from Omotic.
Dache, Oyda /ɓuɓule/ ~ Welamo /pʼupʼule/ "egg"
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Tropylium wrote:Some parts of Middle Indo-Aryan as well.
Yep, Sanskrit /st/ becomes Pali /ttʰ/, for example. The Buddha's hometown in Sanskrit is Kapilavastu, in Pali it became Kapilavatthu. And that is probably one of the LEAST strange assimilations that happened from Sanskrit to Pali. Nirvana became Nibbana, how the heck does /rʋ/ become /bː/?

(I'm a Buddhist, if you are wondering how I became so interested in Pali, LOL! :) )

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

TaylorS wrote:Nirvana became Nibbana, how the heck does /rʋ/ become /bː/?
Maybe /rʋ/ > /ʋ:/ > /β:/ > /b:/?

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

TaylorS wrote:
Yep, Sanskrit /st/ becomes Pali /ttʰ/, for example. The Buddha's hometown in Sanskrit is Kapilavastu, in Pali it became Kapilavatthu. And that is probably one of the LEAST strange assimilations that happened from Sanskrit to Pali. Nirvana became Nibbana, how the heck does /rʋ/ become /bː/?
[ru] → [rw] → [rv] → [vv] → [bb]?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Pole, the wrote:
TaylorS wrote:
[ru] → [rw] → [rv] → [vv] → [bb]?
Checks out! :)