European languages before Indo-European

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Re: European languages before Indo-European

Post by Drydic »

Armenian/Phrygian are frequently linked with Greek, though how accurately I'm not qualified to judge, nor the further link between those groups and Indo-Iranian (though these (except Phrygian?) are the groups with the Augment in the Aorist).

As for Greek substrate, http://www.indo-european.nl/ied/pdf/pre-greek.pdf is tantalising.

Still looking for something meaty on Folkish.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

I need to learn the Greek alphabet I guess, cause that pre-Greek paper looks fascinating.

As for Folkish, I've seen people say that a third of proto-Germanic's lexicon came from pre-Germanic sources, and yet I've never seen any examples. The only thing I can find is this list on Wikipedia, which is not all that convincing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_s ... _languages

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

8Deer wrote:The only thing I can find is this list on Wikipedia, which is not all that convincing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_s ... _languages
I checked a subset with etymonline, and for a number of them there's indeed a PrG root of "unknown origin" or "no known cognate outside Germanic", but for others there's PIE roots listed.

JAL

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

I just meant not convincing in the sense that it doesn't have any references or proto-Germanic forms of the words.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

8Deer wrote:I just meant not convincing in the sense that it doesn't have any references or proto-Germanic forms of the words.
Well, that's Wikipedia for ya. But etymonline does have the PGm words.

JAL

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

No, there is a reference, it just isn't accessible online. It's

John A. Hawkins (1990), Germanic Languages, in The Major Languages of Western Europe, Bernard Comrie, ed. (Routledge). ISBN 0-415-04738-2

But that doesn't mean it's "correct", it just means that's what Dr Hawkins theorized in 1990.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Thanks to all the responders on this page so far.

zmeiat_joro
Sanci
Sanci

Post by zmeiat_joro »

merijn : I wonder if this could have something to do with your confusion, if you are a native English speaker, about animacy: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2592
<WurdBendur> Nae, why are you trying to sterilize maggot eggs?

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

I decided to revive this thread because Jorg has his Hesperic languages spoken by the Bell Beaker Culture, but in a book on European Prehistory I have by Jean Manco called Ancestral Journeys the author argues that the Bell Beaker Folk were speakers of Proto-Italo-Celtic.

Also, Manco argues based on genetics (like lactose tolerance and having Y-Haplogroup R1b) that the Basques must came from somewhere in the Balkans following the collapse of Copper Age "Old Europe" around 4000 BC. In fact she argues that there was a general wave of migration of non-IE peoples out of the Balkans at this time.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

TaylorS wrote:I decided to revive this thread because Jorg has his Hesperic languages spoken by the Bell Beaker Culture, but in a book on European Prehistory I have by Jean Manco called Ancestral Journeys the author argues that the Bell Beaker Folk were speakers of Proto-Italo-Celtic.

Also, Manco argues based on genetics (like lactose tolerance and having Y-Haplogroup R1b) that the Basques must came from somewhere in the Balkans following the collapse of Copper Age "Old Europe" around 4000 BC. In fact she argues that there was a general wave of migration of non-IE peoples out of the Balkans at this time.
Maybe. My Hesperic family is of course just a speculative entity. But I feel that Italo-Celtic is just not old enough for Bell Beaker, and that Bell Beaker was a refugee movement that was triggered by the influx of the IE Corded Ware group into Central Europe. Alas, we don't know.

But thanks for digging out this thread, TaylorS!
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

WeepingElf wrote:
TaylorS wrote:I decided to revive this thread because Jorg has his Hesperic languages spoken by the Bell Beaker Culture, but in a book on European Prehistory I have by Jean Manco called Ancestral Journeys the author argues that the Bell Beaker Folk were speakers of Proto-Italo-Celtic.

[quote="WeepingElf"Maybe. My Hesperic family is of course just a speculative entity. But I feel that Italo-Celtic is just not old enough for Bell Beaker, and that Bell Beaker was a refugee movement that was triggered by the influx of the IE Corded Ware group into Central Europe. Alas, we don't know.
But thanks for digging out this thread, TaylorS![/quote]

You're welcome! Oh god was Octaviano such a dick, LOL!

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

TaylorS wrote:You're welcome! Oh god was Octaviano such a dick, LOL!
Yes. He was hilarious in an unintended way. He meant everything he wrote seriously, but it was so far off the mark that one can only laugh about it ;)
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

WeepingElf wrote:Yes. He was hilarious in an unintended way. He meant everything he wrote seriously, but it was so far off the mark that one can only laugh about it ;)
His blog is still up, almost daily posting etymologies of random words in random European languages that have, according to him, faulty accepted etymologies, with a "constructed" new etymology. Quite hilareous. Reminds me a bit of the Reptile Evolution guy, who has, in excruciating detail, the most bogus theories about, you guessed it, reptile evolution (such as that birds aren't dinosaurs, etc.).

JAL

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

jal wrote:Reminds me a bit of the Reptile Evolution guy
Oh him. His reconstructions look nice but are quite fittingly riddled by interpretations of soft tissue remnants and such which no one else expect him can see in the fossils.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

gach wrote:
jal wrote:Reminds me a bit of the Reptile Evolution guy
His reconstructions look nice but are quite fittingly riddled by interpretations of soft tissue remnants and such which no one else expect him can see in the fossils.
He's an amazing artist, but uses the total bogus "digital tracing technique" to "enhance" fossils. Basically it means "use a gazillion Photoshop filters until you see something that looks like an outline", and use that for "reconstruction". See also here for Darren Naish's thorough debunking.

JAL

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Having read through the thread, I can't imagine how you put up with Octaviano for so long.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Oh, that guy! Came across him when I was looking at pterosaur stuff. Didn't know he was A Guy.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

jal wrote:
WeepingElf wrote:Yes. He was hilarious in an unintended way. He meant everything he wrote seriously, but it was so far off the mark that one can only laugh about it ;)
His blog is still up, almost daily posting etymologies of random words in random European languages that have, according to him, faulty accepted etymologies, with a "constructed" new etymology. Quite hilareous. Reminds me a bit of the Reptile Evolution guy, who has, in excruciating detail, the most bogus theories about, you guessed it, reptile evolution (such as that birds aren't dinosaurs, etc.).

JAL
Wait, there are STILL people who can't accept that birds are theropod dinosaurs? Christ, just watch a large flightless bird run around and then try and tell me that birds aren't theropods.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

birds aren't real. birds are a prescientific myth and it's high time that we purged this nonsense from our speech. when i go to mcdonald's, i sit by the window and watch the dinosaurs outside peck at bread crumbs
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

there are dinosaurs that have figured out how to use tools and they've infiltrated every single one of our cities

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

remake jurassic park with geese and australian kicking dinosaurs

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

birds aren't real wrote:birds aren't real. birds are a prescientific myth and it's high time that we purged this nonsense from our speech. when i go to mcdonald's, i sit by the window and watch the dinosaurs outside peck at bread crumbs
Finally, someone who makes some fucking sense.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

The main point being, I gather, that dinosaurs being pre-Indo-European is currently considered uncontroversial?
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Tropylium wrote:The main point being, I gather, that dinosaurs being pre-Indo-European is currently considered uncontroversial?
Not if you buy into the Paleozoic Continuity Theory. ;)

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

birds aren't real wrote:birds aren't real. birds are a prescientific myth and it's high time that we purged this nonsense from our speech. when i go to mcdonald's, i sit by the window and watch the dinosaurs outside peck at bread crumbs
I like to think that dinosaurs aren't real. They're just fossil birds.

JAL