Ridiculously small phonemic differences thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ridiculously small phonemic differences thread

Post by sirdanilot »

ITT We post ridiculously small phonemic differences that you come across while linguisticizing about (yes that's a very bad creative derivation).\

I'm currently on a project on Dutch dialects; it's a corpus of about a gazilion Dutch dialects (in france, flanders and holland), also including Frisian and Limburgish etc, with word-by-word transcriptions and annotations in ipa. It's hopelessly old-fashioned (just a word list read aloud) because it started in the 1980s and is still not even remotely finished. In any case I come across some crazily small phonemic differences now and then. It does recognize the different status of Frisian in that the Frisian lists are slightly more elaborated, and the fieldworker is actually talking Frisian rather than Dutch to the informants.

For example, in the dialect of Aalten (in the east of the Netherlands), the difference between the -e suffix [-ə] and the -er suffix [-ər in standard Dutch] is nothing but /ə/ versus /ʌ/, or something like that. The r (usually pronounced uvular in coda) has dropped and the vowel preceding it backed. I am not even sure what the vowel is exactly. Sometimes, some remnant of uvular /r/ remains, but usually not. Now the -e suffix is a random dummy suffix that occurs on some adjectives and nouns, and the -er suffix is a very productive augmentative suffix, as well as a not-so productive plural suffix (like kind - kinder) and a dummy suffix on many words too (vader, moeder, dochter, water...). This means you get minimal pairs like dröge - dröger [drøxə - drøxʌ] 'dry, dryer'.

In many originally Saxon dialects, the -en suffix (infinitive suffix, very common plural suffix, etc.) has often dropped to just -n, but the consonant preceding it has also changed. This is often described as a glottal stop, but this is often only true for *-ten -> [-?n]. You can still hear a very slight difference between *-den and *-ten. I have transcribed this as unreleased d versus glottal stop, but I am not sure how accurate that is. This also goes for -ben vrsus -pen and -ken versus -gen (in these dialects, /g/ is often pronounced as such and not /x/ in these environments).

Of course we all know that English has ridiculous phonemic differences (sun - son etc.) so let's also focus on non-English languages please ! But if you know something fun in a certain variety of english by all means of course, but please don't make it english only. English is a ridiculous language, we know already.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Ridiculously small phonemic differences thread

Post by Nortaneous »

TA when I took German was from Bavaria or something, one of the dialects with [i:] for the first-person pronoun and å everywhere. She had [ɛ ɔ] for -e -er.

Actually better than the standard [ə ɐ], which distinction I can't hear at all.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

^ Both of those don't sound too ridiculous to me.

But then again I speak a language with a ridiculously large amount of vowel phonemes anyway.

come to think of it, the upside down a seems like a good way to describe the phenomenon I described above, better than the upside down v. Hrm...

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

sirdanilot wrote:Of course we all know that English has ridiculous phonemic differences (sun - son etc.) so let's also focus on non-English languages please !
Which English dialects distinguish these two words?

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Richard W wrote:
sirdanilot wrote:Of course we all know that English has ridiculous phonemic differences (sun - son etc.) so let's also focus on non-English languages please !
Which English dialects distinguish these two words?
I've heard a few people who pronounce them differently. The ones who do also seem to rhyme "son" with "one" (-ɒn), but how much of that was a spelling pronunciation rather than a dialectal feature I don't know (their "sun" was [sʊn], so it's been a Northern English thing in my experience).
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

Basque distinguishes 2 kinds of /s/ laminal and apical, written < z, s, > respectively. There's also 2 coresponding affricates, written < tz, ts >. I find the distinction audible, though my copy of "Colloquial Basque" advises that learners needn't bother with the distinction.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Ketumak wrote:Basque distinguishes 2 kinds of /s/ laminal and apical, written < z, s, > respectively. There's also 2 coresponding affricates, written < tz, ts >. I find the distinction audible, though my copy of "Colloquial Basque" advises that learners needn't bother with the distinction.
Some indigenous languages of California distinguish a full set of dental and alveolar consonants, a feature I decided to use in a conlang (and to make things more confusing also distinguishes /s̪/ and /θ/, though /t̪͡s̪~t̪͡θ/ are in free variation--/θ/ actually comes from a post-vocalic lenition process and is in complementary distribution with non-geminate non-ejective /t̪ t̺/). The only dental in my conlang to not have an alveolar counterpart is /l̪/.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

There's the Polish contrast between an affricate /t͡ʂ/ (as in czy) and the cluster /tʂ/ (as in trzy).
sangi39 wrote:I've heard a few people who pronounce them differently. The ones who do also seem to rhyme "son" with "one" (-ɒn), but how much of that was a spelling pronunciation rather than a dialectal feature I don't know (their "sun" was [sʊn], so it's been a Northern English thing in my experience).
That is quite a large phonetic difference. Rhyming one and won with wan is indeed seen as a spelling pronunciation, but it’s not a small difference in an RP-like accent ([ɐ] ~ [ɒ]).

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Richard W wrote:
sangi39 wrote:I've heard a few people who pronounce them differently. The ones who do also seem to rhyme "son" with "one" (-ɒn), but how much of that was a spelling pronunciation rather than a dialectal feature I don't know (their "sun" was [sʊn], so it's been a Northern English thing in my experience).
That is quite a large phonetic difference. Rhyming one and won with wan is indeed seen as a spelling pronunciation, but it’s not a small difference in an RP-like accent ([ɐ] ~ [ɒ]).
True, but my post was in response to a "which dialects?" question, rather than the main thread itself :)
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

I am not a native speaker of English but I definitely pronounce sun and son differently in careful speech (not in my normal Dunglish speech of course), especially if I would be attemting to talk a posh British accent. Son is a bit lower than sun, I guess.

The u - ʊ difference that exists in a lot of languages (mainly african languages with ATR feature) is also staggeringly difficult, especially if these languages also have /o/ and /ɔ/. In a fieldwork class at the university we analyzed a west-african language, I believe Anyi, and we couldn't even get the vowel system right in that semester of in-class fieldwork sessions (and we made a point of it to not look it up on the internet as that would be lame).

---

On with Dutch dialects, the -en plural (which in many dialects has reduced to just -N with N being a corresponding nasal) produces some pretty crazy phonemic differences. In many dailects, [bo:m] and [bo:m̠] is the phonemic difference between what in standard dutch is boom - bomen (tree - trees). (I wanted to type a vertical stroke underneath the m to denote syllabic m, but that failed, so you'll have to do with a horizontal stroke). I believe this is also the source of tone in some limburgish dialects, where the only difference between singular and plural pairs is the tone difference, but there are also other processes here, such as the dummy -e suffix, umlaut etc.
I would not call this a geminate consonant, because the nasal 'syllable' also receives, well, 'tone' (as in, you can clearly hear that the word is bisyllabic, not just a longer m).

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

sirdanilot wrote:(I wanted to type a vertical stroke underneath the m to denote syllabic m, but that failed, so you'll have to do with a horizontal stroke)
Here ya go! m̩

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

There's Swedish /iː/ vs /y͑ː/ (exolabial) vs /y͗ː/ (endolabial), such as in ni (you-PL) - nu (now) - ny (new).

I find Bulgarian weird with its /a/ and /ɐ/, though there might something going on with that distinction; the WP article is so unclear I can't make any sense out of it.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

sirdanilot wrote:I
In many originally Saxon dialects, the -en suffix (infinitive suffix, very common plural suffix, etc.) has often dropped to just -n, but the consonant preceding it has also changed. This is often described as a glottal stop, but this is often only true for *-ten -> [-?n]. You can still hear a very slight difference between *-den and *-ten. I have transcribed this as unreleased d versus glottal stop, but I am not sure how accurate that is. This also goes for -ben vrsus -pen and -ken versus -gen (in these dialects, /g/ is often pronounced as such and not /x/ in these environments).
I think I would transcribe them as follows:
hebben [ɦɛbᵐ] vs kappen [kɑpᵐ] (both with a nasal release).

I think German dialects which have a similar pronunciation for their -en suffix are generally also transcribed this way. But I can definitely hear the glottalization between the voiceless plosives and the nasal release. So maybe [kap̚ʔᵐ] (with a tie bar) ?
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Many English dialects distinguish a "schwi" sound (near-close central vowel) distinct from schwa (mid central vowel).

I actually have the distinction and I still have trouble hearing it!

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Richard W wrote:There's the Polish contrast between an affricate /t͡ʂ/ (as in czy) and the cluster /tʂ/ (as in trzy).
Crow makes a similar distinction between /tʃ/ and /t͡ʃ/:

baachí - he remains
baatshí - I slip and fall

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Zaarin wrote:Some indigenous languages of California distinguish a full set of dental and alveolar consonants, a feature I decided to use in a conlang (and to make things more confusing also distinguishes /s̪/ and /θ/, though /t̪͡s̪~t̪͡θ/ are in free variation--/θ/ actually comes from a post-vocalic lenition process and is in complementary distribution with non-geminate non-ejective /t̪ t̺/). The only dental in my conlang to not have an alveolar counterpart is /l̪/.
Going a step or two further, Australian languages typically distinguish four coronal places of articulation: apical alveolar /t/, laminal dental /t̪/, (sub-)apical retroflex /ʈ/, and laminal postalveolar /t̠/. Yanyuwa has phonemic plain stops, prenasalized stops, nasals, and laterals at all of these places of articulation, and also has two dorsal places of articulation, both of which are in front of the uvula. The mind boggles...

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Theta wrote:
Richard W wrote:There's the Polish contrast between an affricate /t͡ʂ/ (as in czy) and the cluster /tʂ/ (as in trzy).

baachí - he remains
One of the Germanic ethnolects, namely English, does it as well:

catch it — catch it
cat shit — cat shit
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Pole, the wrote:
Theta wrote:

baachí - he remains

catch it — catch it
cat shit — cat shit
"catch" frequently has [ɛ] in many American dialects, at least. I'm trying to think if I have it in careful speech as well to see if I have it as underlyingly /æ/ but I'm starting to get some observer bias and whatnot. However, I can't think of any instances off the top of my head where /æ/ is realized as [ɛ], especially in similar words like "match" and "patch", so I'm not confident about that...

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

SSBE has /a/ in <cat> and <catch>.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

I have [E] there, and anyway that only applies across morpheme boundaries.

Kensiu distinguishes /ɛ e e̝ ɪ i ie/ and /ɔ o o̝ u/, plus nasalized versions of all of those.

Iau has two triphthongs: /aɯi aʊ̜ɪ/.

Japhug rGyalrong distinguishes /c tɕ tsj kj qj/. Some rGyalrongic languages have contrastive velarization on vowels.

Cabiyari has twelve consonants and contrasts dental, alveolar, and postalveolar POA in plosives.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

CatDoom wrote:
Zaarin wrote:Some indigenous languages of California distinguish a full set of dental and alveolar consonants, a feature I decided to use in a conlang (and to make things more confusing also distinguishes /s̪/ and /θ/, though /t̪͡s̪~t̪͡θ/ are in free variation--/θ/ actually comes from a post-vocalic lenition process and is in complementary distribution with non-geminate non-ejective /t̪ t̺/). The only dental in my conlang to not have an alveolar counterpart is /l̪/.
Going a step or two further, Australian languages typically distinguish four coronal places of articulation: apical alveolar /t/, laminal dental /t̪/, (sub-)apical retroflex /ʈ/, and laminal postalveolar /t̠/. Yanyuwa has phonemic plain stops, prenasalized stops, nasals, and laterals at all of these places of articulation, and also has two dorsal places of articulation, both of which are in front of the uvula. The mind boggles...
And I'm still struggling to hear the distinction between the two points of articulation in my conlang... :o
Rui wrote:
Pole, the wrote:
Theta wrote:

baachí - he remains

catch it — catch it
cat shit — cat shit
"catch" frequently has [ɛ] in many American dialects, at least. I'm trying to think if I have it in careful speech as well to see if I have it as underlyingly /æ/ but I'm starting to get some observer bias and whatnot. However, I can't think of any instances off the top of my head where /æ/ is realized as [ɛ], especially in similar words like "match" and "patch", so I'm not confident about that...
I think I actually have [ɛ~æ] in free variation in "catch" only, but [ɛ] is certainly the more common realization for me. But I tend to centralizing quite a few of my vowels (e.g., I pronounce both "and/end" with [ɛ], same with "since/sense" {yes, I have a backwards pin/pen merger--but not for the words "pin" or "pen"...}).
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

Skolt, Akkala, Kildin and Ter Sami distinguish "heavy" and "light" palatalization. Though given that Uralistics traditionally does not contrast palatalized consonants with primary palatal consonants, and given that only "coronals" can be "heavily" palatalized, I'd guess this is actually something like /nʲ lʲ sʲ/ etc. vs. /ɲ ʎ ɕ/.
CatDoom wrote:
Zaarin wrote:Some indigenous languages of California distinguish a full set of dental and alveolar consonants
Going a step or two further, Australian languages typically distinguish four coronal places of articulation: apical alveolar /t/, laminal dental /t̪/, (sub-)apical retroflex /ʈ/, and laminal postalveolar /t̠/.
A step further yet, Toda distinguishes five coronal non-lateral fricatives: /θ s̪ s̠ ʃ ʂ/. It also has /f ɬ̪ ɬ̢ x/. It moreover distinguishes three sets of coronal trills, and palatalized versions of all of them: /r̘ r̘ʲ r̠ r̠ʲ ɽ͡r ɽ͡rʲ/.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Qwynegold wrote:There's Swedish /iː/ vs /y͑ː/ (exolabial) vs /y͗ː/ (endolabial), such as in ni (you-PL) - nu (now) - ny (new).
It seems Swedish is helluva vocalic crowdedness.

There's the Polish contrast between an affricate /t͡ʂ/ (as in czy) and the cluster /tʂ/ (as in trzy).
Also, Polish makes a difference between e.g. [tʃip] and [tɕip].
TA when I took German was from Bavaria or something, one of the dialects with [i:] for the first-person pronoun and å everywhere.
“å everywhere”?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

According to Wikipedia, some Irish dialects still maintain a four-way distinction in laterals and nasals, overlapping broad/slender with the fortis/lenis contrast that gave rise to fricatives in plosives: /l̪ˠ lˠ lʲ l̠ʲ/ and /n̪ˠ nˠ nʲ n̠ʲ/, throwing in /ɲ/ (a palatalized velar) for good measure.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Theta wrote:

baachí - he remains
Does it happen to be that the non-affricate is always broken up by a syllable boundary?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018