Idiolectal pronunciations

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
spidermilk
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Idiolectal pronunciations

Post by spidermilk »

It's not idiolectal, but it's still weird. People in my town (that's an hour north of Knoxville, Tennessee) pronounce the "ville" in city names as "vool" (rhymes with wool), and the "boro" or "borough" in town names is pronounced "berl". So you get the towns of "Knoxvool" and "Middlesberl". XD
Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

i know you're a newbie and you probably don't know ipa yet, but respelling words in english to indicate a pronunciation can be really misleading, and we try to avoid it here...

what i mean is, i think you mean [ɫ̩], syllabic dark L, or [əɫ], but i would pronounce wool as [ʊɫ] or [ʉɫ] which is completely different.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Αυτοβοτα wrote:In some cases I merge /ɑ/ to /ʌ/, at least after /w/. There's the usual suspect, /wʌt/ for "what", but I also say /wʌʃ/ for "wash".
Exceptionally, I have [ʌ] in went. (At least this isn't a feature I remember hearing in anyone else's speech.)

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

In my father's idiolect, he pronounces effort as [ɛfɹɛt~ɛfɹɪt].

I noticed it since I was a kid, and it was the only word I ever heard him pronounce oddly.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

-ville as [vɫ̩] is very common in the South. Everyone I know does it.

spidermilk
Sanci
Sanci

Post by spidermilk »

finlay wrote:i know you're a newbie and you probably don't know ipa yet, but respelling words in english to indicate a pronunciation can be really misleading, and we try to avoid it here...

what i mean is, i think you mean [ɫ̩], syllabic dark L, or [əɫ], but i would pronounce wool as [ʊɫ] or [ʉɫ] which is completely different.
I'm familiar with IPA, There is a very clear, Near Close, Near Back Rounded Vowel, when I hear someone say "vool". I just have no clue how to make IPA characters on this. I've read a lot about linguistics over the past seven years (Mostly Wikipedia). I'm a message board virgin though. Can you DM a link or explanation of how to make IPA characters on this? I'd appreciate it. :)

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

spidermilk wrote:
finlay wrote:i know you're a newbie and you probably don't know ipa yet, but respelling words in english to indicate a pronunciation can be really misleading, and we try to avoid it here...

I'm familiar with IPA, There is a very clear, Near Close, Near Back Rounded Vowel, when I hear someone say "vool". I just have no clue how to make IPA characters on this. I've read a lot about linguistics over the past seven years (Mostly Wikipedia). I'm a message board virgin though. Can you DM a link or explanation of how to make IPA characters on this? I'd appreciate it. :)
If you're on a PC, Start>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map. Then select an IPA-compatible font like Times New Roman. You can then copy and paste the IPA characters. Or directly from the IPA chart on Wikipedia.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Or just use x-sampa.

I noticed today that although the plural of 'premise' I pronounce /prEmIsIz/ (or maybe /prEm@sIz/, but that's not the point), I keep wanting to say 'premises' as in 'building' as /prEm@siz/. I'm not sure if this is something I always do or if it was a one-of mistake and now I'm overthinking it...
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Αυτοβοτα
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Αυτοβοτα »

linguoboy wrote:
Αυτοβοτα wrote:In some cases I merge /ɑ/ to /ʌ/, at least after /w/. There's the usual suspect, /wʌt/ for "what", but I also say /wʌʃ/ for "wash".
Exceptionally, I have [ʌ] in went. (At least this isn't a feature I remember hearing in anyone else's speech.)
Huh! I can see it, though. Maybe mine wouldn't be so weird if the prevailing (among older speakers) pronunciation in my area is /wɑɻʃ/ (in /wɑɻʃɪŋtɨn/).
-_-_Aftovota_-_-

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

spidermilk wrote:

maybe you have L-vocalization then which would basically be with no L sound.

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

I have a tendency to drop unstressed schwa (often with the effect that a following sonorant becomes syllabic), so "seven prisoners" frequently becomes [ˈsɛvn̩ ˈprɪznɚz] in my idiolect.

I've noticed I'll sometimes stick an epenthetic [x] after the word "yeah" so it sounds more like [jæːx] when I say it. Strangely, I've only heard it in that word by itself.
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

StrangerCoug wrote:I have a tendency to drop unstressed schwa (often with the effect that a following sonorant becomes syllabic), so "seven prisoners" frequently becomes [ˈsɛvn̩ ˈprɪznɚz] in my idiolect.
I would be very surprised to find a syllabic nasal remaining alveolar between two labial segments.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Salmoneus wrote:Or just use x-sampa.

I noticed today that although the plural of 'premise' I pronounce /prEmIsIz/ (or maybe /prEm@sIz/, but that's not the point), I keep wanting to say 'premises' as in 'building' as /prEm@siz/. I'm not sure if this is something I always do or if it was a one-of mistake and now I'm overthinking it...
That's odd; I have the same effect but the other way around: "premises" as an idea is /prɛmɪsiz/ while "premises" as in building is /prɛmɪsɪz/.

Hakaku
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Hakaku »

I can't help but pronounce "vague" as [væːg], so that it rhymes with "bag" [bæːg].
Chances are it's Ryukyuan (Resources).

spidermilk
Sanci
Sanci

Post by spidermilk »

finlay wrote:
spidermilk wrote:

maybe you have L-vocalization then which would basically be with no L sound.

Nope [vɪlˠ] shifts to [vʊlˠ]. It rhymes with wool. It could be [vlˠ] in rapid speech though.

Αυτοβοτα
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Αυτοβοτα »

Hakaku wrote:I can't help but pronounce "vague" as [væːg], so that it rhymes with "bag" [bæːg].
That's called, appropriately, the Bag-Vague Merger, and is found in the Midwest (at least Minnesota) and Canada. (So around the Great Lakes? That's not the only shared feature I see in Minnesotan English and Torontan English.)

(Community made fun of it once.)
-_-_Aftovota_-_-

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

StrangerCoug wrote:I have a tendency to drop unstressed schwa (often with the effect that a following sonorant becomes syllabic), so "seven prisoners" frequently becomes [ˈsɛvn̩ ˈprɪznɚz] in my idiolect.
How very British of you!

JAL

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

jal wrote:
How very British of you!
I know it sounds like it on first impression, but I'm actually American. I pronounce the "o" in the "-tory" ending since it's not a schwa here.
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

though there are words in which it is a schwa even in american varieties, like "olfactory"
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

Αυτοβοτα wrote:And different from everyone I know, I say /ʊ/ instead of /u/ in the cases of /hʊvz/ "hooves", /ɻʊf/ "roof", and /ɻʊt/ "root".
That's not to odd; I think it's the Philly accent. I sporadically have that change, i.e. /hʊvz/ , but /ɻut/ and /ɻuf/. At least the latter is a hyper-correction, but I wonder if the /ɻ/ is affecting the vowel quality . . . maybe retracting /u/ to [ʊ].

And, honestly, do people say [huf, huvz (hufs?)]?

@Kereb: huh? [olfækʈʂɻi] for me. [olfæktəɻi] sounds overdone and jaunty.
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

Seirios
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Seirios »

"program" "progress" as /ˈprʊ-/ (though progress probably just a shortened proh-gress, with [o]), mass(ive) and classic(al) with trap-bath split, laugh as luff
Distinguish /oʊr/ /uːr/ /ɔːr/
Distinguish unstressed a/e (/ə/) i (/ɨ/) and o/u as well as unstressed ar/er/ir and or/ur (roundness)
Distinguish the "/ər/" sound between er/ir and ur (roundness)
/-Vrl(C-)/ > /-rV(r)l(C-)/, sporadically. e.g. Carleton > craalton, girl > somewhere near /grəl/

As for my Chinese, interjection 诶/欸 is precisely [ɛ] and 咦, which is *supposed* to be , as [e]. In fact, though, my Chinese has an entire idolectal phonology...
Last edited by Seirios on Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always an adventurer, I guess.
-
Tone: Chao's notation.
Apical vowels: [ɿ]≈[z̞̩], [ʅ]≈[ɻ̞̩], [ʮ]≈[z̞̩ʷ], [ʯ]≈[ɻ̞̩ʷ].
Vowels: [ᴇ]=Mid front unrounded, [ᴀ]=Open central unrounded, [ⱺ]=Mid back rounded, [ⱻ]=Mid back unrounded.

Αυτοβοτα
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Αυτοβοτα »

2+3 clusivity wrote:
Αυτοβοτα wrote:And different from everyone I know, I say /ʊ/ instead of /u/ in the cases of /hʊvz/ "hooves", /ɻʊf/ "roof", and /ɻʊt/ "root".
That's not to odd; I think it's the Philly accent. I sporadically have that change, i.e. /hʊvz/ , but /ɻut/ and /ɻuf/. At least the latter is a hyper-correction, but I wonder if the /ɻ/ is affecting the vowel quality . . . maybe retracting /u/ to [ʊ].
I've never lived in Philly, the primary influences on my accent are Californian, SAE, and Pacific Northwestern. That does seem pretty likely re: retraction.
2+3 clusivity wrote:And, honestly, do people say [huf, huvz (hufs?)]?
Yes. I have that Canadian in the link and 2 Minnesotans for examples of that pronunciation.
2+3 clusivity wrote:@Kereb: huh? [olfækʈʂɻi] for me. [olfæktəɻi] sounds overdone and jaunty.
I use either, depending on how consciously formal I am.
-_-_Aftovota_-_-

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

StrangerCoug wrote:I know it sounds like it on first impression, but I'm actually American. I pronounce the "o" in the "-tory" ending since it's not a schwa here.
Yeah, I meant that being an American, you do a British thing :).

JAL

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

2+3 clusivity wrote:

And, honestly, do people say [huf, huvz (hufs?)]?

@Kereb: huh? [olfækʈʂɻi] for me. [olfæktəɻi] sounds overdone and jaunty.
I have [hʊf] but [huvz]. Also /ɻut/ and /ɻuf/--[ɻʊf] always sounds weird to me. For reference, my accent is GenAm with pretty eclectic influences.