What language is this song in?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

What language is this song in?

Post by Matrix »

Battle of Lepanto from the Europa Universalis IV DLC 'Guns, Drums, and Steel'.

Also, can I get a transcription of the lyrics and a translation and such, as well? I can't find anything via google.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

Yagia
Lebom
Lebom

Re: What language is this song in?

Post by Yagia »

It sounds Greek to me. And since the battle of Lepanto took place in Greek waters, that seems reasonable.
Affacite iago Vayardyio fidigou accronésara! http://conlang.wikia.com/wiki/Vayardyio

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

Yeah, I was figuring that it was probably Greek, what with all the [st] and [x].

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

Élerhe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Élerhe »

But I think I can make out a few 'sh' - maybe Albanian?

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

In Standard Modern Greek, /x/ is pronounced [ç] before front vowels. Could that be what you're hearing?

Valdeut
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Valdeut »

It's not Greek, says native speakers. There are some discussions in the Youtube comments and on Reddit but apparently the language is still a mystery. From what I've been able to find, these languages can be ruled out:
English
Greek
Turkish
Italian
Spanish
Latin
Chinese
Japanese
Hebrew
Arabic
German
Swedish, or any Scandinavian language
linguoboy wrote:In Standard Modern Greek, /x/ is pronounced [ç] before front vowels. Could that be what you're hearing?
In this case, the language is not actually Greek, but to my ears Greek /s/ often sound closer to [ʃ] than it does to Swedish or English /s/. Like most languages that only has one place of articulation for sibilants, the /s/ of Greek is more retracted – and apical I think – than its English or Swedish counterpart. Which makes a lot of sense phonetically, as Greek contrasts /θ/ and /s/ but not /s/ and /ʃ/.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Valdeut wrote:It's not Greek, says native speakers. There are some discussions in the Youtube comments and on Reddit but apparently the language is still a mystery.
Could it be... a conlang, perchance? :)

JAL

Valdeut
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Valdeut »

jal wrote:
Valdeut wrote:It's not Greek, says native speakers. There are some discussions in the Youtube comments and on Reddit but apparently the language is still a mystery.
Could it be... a conlang, perchance? :)
Yes, the idea has definitely crossed my mind. Or maybe not even a true conlang, it could just be foreign-sounding nonsense (is there a term for that sort of conlang-with-only-a-phonology?).

But there are still many natlangs to be ruled out of course.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

I don't think those are called conlangs.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Valdeut wrote:it could just be foreign-sounding nonsense (is there a term for that sort of conlang-with-only-a-phonology?).
Yes.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Valdeut
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Valdeut »

Dewrad wrote:
Valdeut wrote:it could just be foreign-sounding nonsense (is there a term for that sort of conlang-with-only-a-phonology?).
Yes.
Right, but what I was thinking of is really a special kind of gibberish, namely something that's made to give the impression of being a foreign language (for books, movies, video games, songs etc.), without going through the trouble of designing a grammar and vocabulary.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Valdeut wrote:
Dewrad wrote:
Yes.
Right, but what I was thinking of is really a special kind of gibberish, namely something that's made to give the impression of being a foreign language (for books, movies, video games, songs etc.), without going through the trouble of designing a grammar and vocabulary.
I've heard the term "simlish" generalized for that sort of thing (modeled on the nonsense language from The Sims).
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

The old vaudeville term for that is "double-talk"; Sid Caesar was a master of it.