Incorrect pronunciations you have (or have had) to unlearn

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Incorrect pronunciations you have (or have had) to unlea

Post by Travis B. »

This is the kind of paper cutter I am familiar with:

Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

jal wrote:However, I would suspect that quite often, the US and Canada group together, so that would make US/Canadian use international as well.
It is a very good idea to assume American and Canadian English pattern together than differ, especially when compared with other varieties of English, unless one specifically knows otherwise, especially since there is more internal variation within American English than there is between, say, GA and many Canadian English varieties. This is why I prefer just referring to the two together as North American English and avoiding references to just "American English" or "Canadian English" unless I want to specifically point out ways in which Canadian English varieties differ from various American English varieties.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

To me, Canadian English is like American English that decides to use Britishisms on a whim. :P And when I hear "paper cutter," the one I think of is probably exactly this (because that's pretty much what I vaguely remember from art class):
Thank you, dick-blick.com. :oops: :-D

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Yup, that's a papiersnijder as I know it :). Or rather knew, I've not seen one in decades.

JAL

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

linguoboy wrote:So am I the only one who understands "international" in this context as "present in multiple national languages" rather than simply "present in multiple national varieties of the same language"? (Cf. internationalism.)
How much is “multiple”? Is something present in Polish, (afaik) Spanish and (a variety of) English, an internationalism?
linguoboy wrote: This very exactness actually makes it a misnomer when applied to non-guillotine-style paper cutters. In my experience, the typical non-industrial paper cutter looks like this:
For me, „gilotyna” is something fairly similar, just the blade is not necessarily curved.

(Also, if you put Polish „gilotyna” into Google Images, among the suggestions are: Gilotyna Do Ścinania Głów “guillotine for cutting heads off”, Gilotyna Egzekucja “guillotine, execution”, Gilotyna do Blachy “guillotine for metal sheets”, Gilotyna Do Papieru “guillotine for paper” and Gilotyna Do Paznokci “guillotine for finger nails”.)
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Pole, the wrote:
linguoboy wrote:So am I the only one who understands "international" in this context as "present in multiple national languages" rather than simply "present in multiple national varieties of the same language"? (Cf. internationalism.)
How much is “multiple”? Is something present in Polish, (afaik) Spanish and (a variety of) English, an internationalism?
Of course, you could say the same about something present in German, Dutch, and North American English...

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Pole, the wrote:
The more the better. I don't think those three would cut it for most people.

coup de grâce--Like many Americans, I first learned the hypercorrected version without final /s/.

I also used to drop the final /z/ in Berlioz. With Dukas, I went full circle: from /'duːkəs/ before I knew he was French to /dykɑ/ and finally /dykas/.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

I just learned that "scythe" doesn't have a [k].

JAL

Boşkoventi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Boşkoventi »

linguoboy wrote:... Ghiradelli ...
Travis B. wrote:... Ghiradelli ...
Da(r)fuq.

Though this reminds of a time years ago driving through Georgia, when my dad and I stopped at some place for dinner and were asking the waitress what sorts of beer they had and she mentioned one called "... [ʤɪnɪs]?".

Other than that, I don't think I've ever heard someone pronounce "ghi" or "gui" with [ʤ].
linguoboy wrote:
Sumelic wrote:When I first saw the word "eidolon," I thought it was stressed on the first syllable.
Aw, crap. At least I got the initial vowel right.
FWIW, it 'should' have the stress on the first syllable.

Oh, and I thought of one for myself: "vinyl". I used to think of it (not sure I'd ever spoken it aloud) as /ˈvɪnəl/.

Also, I normally pronounce "route" as /ru(ː)t/ (there are many who say /raʊ̯t/), but several years ago I was informed that I should pronounce "router" as /ˈraʊ̯tər/ if I wanted to be taken seriously.

Though I now find that both dictionary.com and wiktionary.com list /ˈru(ː)tər/ as well ...
Radius Solis wrote:The scientific method! It works, bitches.
Είναι όλα Ελληνικά για μένα.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Boşkoventi wrote:
linguoboy wrote:... Ghiradelli ...
Travis B. wrote:... Ghiradelli ...
Da(r)fuq.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce the second r.
Boşkoventi wrote:Though this reminds of a time years ago driving through Georgia, when my dad and I stopped at some place for dinner and were asking the waitress what sorts of beer they had and she mentioned one called "... [ʤɪnɪs]?".

Other than that, I don't think I've ever heard someone pronounce "ghi" or "gui" with [ʤ].
I heard "Guinness" pronounced with [ʤ] once, but it was from a native speaker of Chinese. (I guess most of the common transcriptions of that name into Chinese begin with [t͡ɕ] in Standard Mandarin, probably because they originated in Cantonese where this often corresponds to /k/.)
Boşkoventi wrote:Also, I normally pronounce "route" as /ru(ː)t/ (there are many who say /raʊ̯t/), but several years ago I was informed that I should pronounce "router" as /ˈraʊ̯tər/ if I wanted to be taken seriously.
/raut/ is the pronunciation I grew up with, but now I vacillate between the two based on criteria I can't even begin to define. /ruːtɚ/ just makes me think of Roto-Rooter.

I'm pretty sure there were other French-derived words I pronounced with /au/ but analogy, but I can't recall any right now.

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

Boşkoventi wrote:Also, I normally pronounce "route" as /ru(ː)t/ (there are many who say /raʊ̯t/), but several years ago I was informed that I should pronounce "router" as /ˈraʊ̯tər/ if I wanted to be taken seriously.

Though I now find that both dictionary.com and wiktionary.com list /ˈru(ː)tər/ as well ...
Brits never /raʊ̯tɚ/ or /raʊ̯t/ as far as I know, it would seem very American. We say /ɹut/ and /ɹutə/.
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

Znex
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Znex »

We Aussies - as we're wont to do - have gone the mid road: /ɻʉt/, but /ɻæutə/.
Native: English || Pretty decent: Ancient Greek || Alright: Ancient Hebrew || Eh: Welsh || Basic: Mandarin Chinese || Very basic: French, Latin, Nisuese, Apsish
Conlangs: Nisuese, Apsish, Kaptaran, Pseudo-Ligurian

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

linguoboy wrote: I'm pretty sure there were other French-derived words I pronounced with /au/ but analogy, but I can't recall any right now.
There are lots of French-derived words that everyone pronounces with /au/: doubt, tout, noun, sound...

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Sumelic wrote:
linguoboy wrote: I'm pretty sure there were other French-derived words I pronounced with /au/ but analogy, but I can't recall any right now.
There are lots of French-derived words that everyone pronounces with /au/: doubt, tout, noun, sound...
For starters, tout is a Germanic word.

And as for the rest, these were all borrowed from Old or Middle French or Anglo-Norman prior to the Great Vowel Shift, which would explain why they have /aʊ/.

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

Travis B. wrote:
Sumelic wrote:
For starters, tout is a Germanic word.

And as for the rest, these were all borrowed from Old or Middle French or Anglo-Norman prior to the Great Vowel Shift, which would explain why they have /aʊ/.
Huh, I don't know why I thought "tout" was from French. "Route" would fit into that time frame.

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

/ɹaʊt/ and /ɹut/ are actually distinct words for me. My route (/ɹaʊt/) home from work crosses over Route (/ɹut/) 50. I occasionally mix them up, but for the most part /ɹaʊt/ is the word for a path one takes, and /ɹut/ is a type of highway classification.

I always say /ɹaʊtəɹ/ though. /ɹutər/ just sounds bizarre to my ears.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Except /raʊt/ is non-existent (afaik - some dialect somewhere could have it, I suppose) in British English, which you'd need to account for.

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

The verb and its derivatives are always /ɹaʊt/ in my idiolect. For the noun, I'm pretty sure I make the same distinction as Herra, but I'm not conscious about it.
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

Yeah, it took me a bit to figure out where (I think) the differences are. Those were the only definite differences I could come up with without worrying that I was overthinking what I actually do.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

KathTheDragon wrote:Except /raʊt/ is non-existent (afaik - some dialect somewhere could have it, I suppose) in British English, which you'd need to account for.

I doubt /raʊt/ exists in America either, I think those who have said that they say /raʊt/ mean /ɹaʊt/.
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Er, there's no point in drawing a distinction between /ɹ/ and /r/ in the context of English, since no dialect anywhere ever contrasts them. It's a broad transcription, see.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Well, since its between slashes, it's a phonemic description, and indeed /r/ is the preferred writing of the rhotic phoneme.

JAL

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

*facepalm*

gmalivuk
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gmalivuk »

Herra Ratatoskr wrote:/ɹaʊt/ and /ɹut/ are actually distinct words for me. My route (/ɹaʊt/) home from work crosses over Route (/ɹut/) 50. I occasionally mix them up, but for the most part /ɹaʊt/ is the word for a path one takes, and /ɹut/ is a type of highway classification.

I always say /ɹaʊtəɹ/ though. /ɹutər/ just sounds bizarre to my ears.
A rooter is something that roots (Roto Rooter first came to mind, but I suppose someone who makes a habit of rooting electronic devices could also be called such). It's just never homophonous with "router".

(For me the official classification is likewise always "root", but the common noun can switch pronunciations without my really noticing.)

oxlahun
Niš
Niš

Post by oxlahun »

Clavier is /kləˈvir/, not /ˈklæviər/.