zompist bboard

a congress of convoluted conworldery
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:27 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

dhok wrote:
For one thing, why do syllabified sonorants yield long vowels, not short vowels?

Where do they yield long vowels?

Quote:
What are some instances of *o not from ablaut that are said to not operate under Brugmann's Law? Just *pótis?

This is an excellent question, and I wish I had an answer for you. Unfortunately, *potis is the only word that recurringly comes up, so that's the only one I know of. I do plan to make a very thorough study at some point in the future, specifically to comb through the entire lexicon looking for any possible examples of non-apophonic and non-coloured *o. The fact that I only have this one example is why I'm refraining from trying to use this theory more generally - I need more evidence for it to be convincing.

Quote:
The best other example that comes to mind is--I assume, I don't actually know--'sheep', where *h₂ówis is reconstructed to give Latin ovis, Lithuanian avìs*, Greek ὄϊς, and Sanskrit avís (not **āvis). However, we have āw in Tocharian B, and that must be from an e-grade *h₂éwis. So we then reconstruct an *o~*e ablaut pattern in the paradigm of "sheep", and the Indo-Iranian reflex can then come straightforwardly from the e-grade, like the Tocharian. (We've also got Lycian χawa-; the o-grade would have yielded **χewa-).

When I was at Leiden in the summer of 2016, the prevailing theory was that "sheep" actually goes back to *h₃éwis; *h₃-colored *e is then supposed to have a different quality from original *o, so that original *o is subject to Brugmann's but *h₃-colored *e isn't. But I don't see how you're going to explain the Tocharian reflex this way; you've got to have *h₂éwis.

Well, it's a good thing I reconstruct *h₂owis ~ *h₂ewis.

Nortaneous wrote:
snip

Oh, I get you now. Well, the o-grade thematic vowel probably counts, as does the *o of o-stem pronouns. I know the former does lengthen in Indo-Iranian, but not if the latter does - yet, theoretic considerations say that it should derive from former *aː.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:51 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

KathTheDragon wrote:
dhok wrote:
For one thing, why do syllabified sonorants yield long vowels, not short vowels?

Where do they yield long vowels?

If *e₁ *e₂ *o₂ *o₁ *i *u = *a *i *ā *u *ī *ū, as the six-vowel theory proposes, then we've got syllabified *w *y giving long *ī *ū in pre-IE. Nort proposes there may have been schwa-epenthesis followed by monophthongization, i.e. *CwC > *CəwC > *CūC > *CuC, but this is yet another additional assumption the theory must adhere to simply to explain the data.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:32 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Ah, I see. In my framework, those schwas are from the original underlying vowels, so *CawC > *CəwC > *CuːC > *CuC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:39 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

So...wait, zero-grades derive from e-grades? (Or are they 'a-grades'?)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:15 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

More or less, yes, though I thought this was generally understood, since verbs preserve the distribution between accented e-grade and unaccented zero-grade particularly well, e.g. *h₁ésti < *h₁ásti vs. *h₁sénti < *h₁asánti

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:09 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Alwin Kloekhorst seems to think that *h2 and *h3 were uvular stops in PIE; his web site teases us of a manuscript in which he says that there is evidence of this in Anatolian; alas, the manuscript is not available, so nobody knows what his argumentation is.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:38 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

I take things Kloekhorst says with a pinch of salt and a very critical eye, since he's said several things which I think are utter bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:47 am 
Smeric
Smeric

WeepingElf wrote:
Alwin Kloekhorst seems to think that *h2 and *h3 were uvular stops in PIE; his web site teases us of a manuscript in which he says that there is evidence of this in Anatolian;

If I had to guess, probably the Lycian reflexes as k q g.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:57 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

KathTheDragon wrote:
I take things Kloekhorst says with a pinch of salt and a very critical eye, since he's said several things which I think are utter bullshit.

Yes, many things he has written are ones I do not agree with at all, such as his reconstruction of the Proto-Anatolian (and Early PIE) stop system, and his recent defence of the perfect theory of the hi-conjugation. Some of his ideas are interesting nevertheless. I don't know what I should think of this one; the laryngeals may have been uvular stops once, but probably in PIE1 at its latest; I am of the opinion that in PIE2, they already were fricatives. The Lycian stop reflexes appear to be a late innovation, as the cuneiform spellings in Luwian suggest fricatives as in Hittite.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm 
Osän
Osän

Im not aware of ther being reflexes of h2 & h3 in Hittite but Id like to see how the author reconstructs words with laryngeals in between consonants. e.g. if the word for father is /pqter/ or something like /pəqter/ instead. Im not sure how we know what the values of the letters were in lycian anyway ... couldnt they have been like the Romans etc who used letters for more than one sound?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Soap wrote:
Im not aware of ther being reflexes of h2 & h3 in Hittite

You must've been living under a rock, then, because Hittite is quite famous for being the first discovered language to have consonantal reflexes of laryngeals in . Examples are ḫanza, ḫant- "forehead" < *h₂ent-, ḫāraš, ḫaran- "eagle" < *h₃eron-.

Quote:
Im not sure how we know what the values of the letters were in lycian anyway ... couldnt they have been like the Romans etc who used letters for more than one sound?

Kloekhorst has actually done a study on this.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:52 am 
Sanci
Sanci

WeepingElf wrote:
KathTheDragon wrote:

Yes, many things he has written are ones I do not agree with at all, such as his reconstruction of the Proto-Anatolian (and Early PIE) stop system, and his recent defence of the perfect theory of the hi-conjugation. Some of his ideas are interesting nevertheless.

For me, it's his attack on Narten and E/O acrostatic ablaut patterns that makes me cringe. I think the Leiden model is weak. Somehow, with the magic wand of accent shifts, everything is derived from some clean paradigm. And anything that points in a different direction is reasoned away in a lawyer like way.

But I am curious how these laryngeals could have been uvular stops when (1) they behave like fricatives in the rules that determine the structure of a PIE syllable and (2) they reduce to zero or *h, but never *k, in all PIE languages.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:28 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Well, some of the pre-stages the Leiden model assumes are plausible, such as an original R(Ø)-S(é)- in the amphikinetic accusative, and it's even possible that the nominative there had S(Ø) as well, but that's strictly speaking beyond the comparative method.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88