Scandinavian (Now with more isoglosses)

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

rickardspaghetti wrote:If we can abolish Scania, I'm game. :)
No. Go away.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

Xonen wrote:Wow. And I thought I obsess about stuff too much. :P
*cough* oh well...
Xonen wrote:Speaking of that, you don't actually think Swedish has a monopoly on irrational spelling pronunciations, do you? :wink:
Of course not :)
Xonen wrote:Not that I won't be your loyal servant when the time comes to take over Scandinavia and implement our rational happy unified spelling system.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rickardspaghetti »

Aszev wrote:
rickardspaghetti wrote:If we can abolish Scania, I'm game. :)
No. Go away.
I'm afraid I cannot do that, Aszev.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

I think its weird spelling it <og>, because <g> always stands for one of /g j x\ Z/ (well, at least in my speech), never for Ø or /k/.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

Qwynegold wrote:I think its weird spelling it <og>, because <g> always stands for one of /g j x\ Z/ (well, at least in my speech), never for Ø or /k/.
That's because your speech is most likely horribly standardized according to spelling rules. Final <g> is commonly /Ø/ in non-bookish speech, especially in frequent words. Besides, if you pay attention I'm fairly sure that even you have pronunciations like /dA:/, /jA:/ and /tu:/ for dag, jag and tog when you don't pay attention to how you speak, or emphasize the words. And there isn't supposed to be a /k/ in och, that's the entire point.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

What language is that key in? Parts of it look like Dutch to me, others like Danish, others like Swedish.

(also, 68 shades of turquoise? :roll: )

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Aszev wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:I think its weird spelling it <og>, because <g> always stands for one of /g j x\ Z/ (well, at least in my speech), never for Ø or /k/.
That's because your speech is most likely horribly standardized according to spelling rules. Final <g> is commonly /Ø/ in non-bookish speech, especially in frequent words. Besides, if you pay attention I'm fairly sure that even you have pronunciations like /dA:/, /jA:/ and /tu:/ for dag, jag and tog when you don't pay attention to how you speak, or emphasize the words. And there isn't supposed to be a /k/ in och, that's the entire point.
Oh yeah, you're right. I do say /dA:/ and /jA:/ (but not /tu:/).
My most recent quiz:

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Xephyr wrote:
What language is that key in? Parts of it look like Dutch to me, others like Danish, others like Swedish.

It is Dutch (and I thought Agricola Avicula was a Finn :/ ).
My most recent quiz:

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

Qwynegold wrote:
Xephyr wrote:

Dutch with some native terms mixed in.

Also, the Finn was Mikael Agricola :) By a funny coincidence I was reading about the debate on his native tongue in a book today :o
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH

Agricola Avicula
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Agricola Avicula »

Aszev wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
Xephyr wrote:

Dutch with some native terms mixed in.

Also, the Finn was Mikael Agricola :) By a funny coincidence I was reading about the debate on his native tongue in a book today :o
I used Dutch for languages/dialects that had Dutch names, and native terms for the others. The 68 shades of turquoise are a result of my original funny plan to do all languages of Europe, of which the Germanic family would be shades of blue. Obviously, the idea that I was ever going to present the map to others who would have to be able to read it never crossed my mind. :)

I didn't know Mikael Agricola, so that's just a coincidence.
Ernie: Nothing.
Bert: What did you say?
Bert: I thought you said something.

johanpeturdam
Sanci
Sanci
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia, originally: Funningur, Faroe Islands

Post by johanpeturdam »

Denmark definitely needs more divisions, and the Faroes are too small on the map to make any comprehensible divisions. Just look at this map, which in itself is pretty rough:

Ungur nemur, gamal fremur
Da giovani si impara, da adulti si applica

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

The thing is, that my map isn't meant to show every dialect or every subdivision. It's supposed to show major dialectal areas, and several of these have huge variety in them. Maybe Denmark should have more, I don't know for sure, because I haven't been able to look into Danish varieties properly. I've been using the commonly accepted major divisions of Danish, just as I have with the northern varieties. The risk is that if I'd start dividing into smaller areas with more in common, then I'd end up with a map similar to Agricola Avicula's, and that would be beyond my original purpose.

I try to see my map as an alternative to the classic West vs East maps (which I believe aren't quite spot on). Of course mine's more specific, but that's still the approximate level of division that I'm after.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH

johanpeturdam
Sanci
Sanci
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia, originally: Funningur, Faroe Islands

Post by johanpeturdam »

OK... In that case the differences between the Faroese dialects probably aren't substantial enough to necessarily divide them on your map... Though you should take a closer look at Danish though.
Ungur nemur, gamal fremur
Da giovani si impara, da adulti si applica

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

I made a new version of the map, experimenting some more with it, adding Dalecarlian (which is in no way identical to Elfdalian, which belongs to it) as its own group, and also adding Norn for the lulz.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

What about American Swedish?
Agricola Avicula wrote:I didn't know Mikael Agricola, so that's just a coincidence.
Really? So who did you get your username from?
My most recent quiz:

Anders
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Anders »

Qwynegold wrote:What about American Swedish?
Yeah, what about American Swedish!?
Jag har att veta om det! :)

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Anders wrote:
It's not on the map, unlike Runö or whatever island it is and Gammelsvenskby.
Anders wrote:Jag har att veta om det! :)
:?: Jag förstår inte din grammatik.
My most recent quiz:

Agricola Avicula
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Agricola Avicula »

Agricola Avicula wrote:I didn't know Mikael Agricola, so that's just a coincidence.
Really? So who did you get your username from?
It's loosely derived from my real name. Don't feel like giving a detailed explanation now, though. My bed's calling me.
Bert: What did you say?
Bert: I thought you said something.

Åge Kruger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Åge Kruger »

Qwynegold wrote:
Try translating, a word at a time, into English.
[quote="Soviet Russia"]If you can't join them, beat them.[/quote]

Anders
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Anders »

Qwynegold wrote:
Anders wrote:
I know it's not on the map. I was filling in on what you said. It was directed to Azsev.
Qwynegold wrote:
Svenskamerikaner pratar ungefär så. På eng. I have to know så med förengelskad svenska 'jag har att veta'.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Anders wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
Anders wrote:
I know it's not on the map. I was filling in on what you said. It was directed to Azsev.
Oh huh, damn internet.
Anders wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
Svenskamerikaner pratar ungefär så. På eng. I have to know så med förengelskad svenska 'jag har att veta'.
Ånej. :o
My most recent quiz:

Anders
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Anders »

Qwynegold wrote:Ånej. :o
:)
Har du inte hört det? Jag såg en gång en svenskamerikan på TV som hela tiden sa "jag hade att ..." i stället för 'jag måste ...' eller 'jag var tvungen att ...' eller nått mer svenskt uttryckssätt. Anglicismerna haglade.

Man undrar ju lite hur sverigearabiska låter. Tycker araber i Arabien att araber från Sverige pratar konstigt?

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

The Swedish spoken by emigrants in the 19th century is not really interesting, because those people spoke their own dialect and then got americanized and switched to English. There was never any particular American Swedish among those people.

In the colony of New Sweden there was probably a koiné dialect, with most influence from Geatish. There were people in this area who spoke Swedish until the early 1800s (not many of them). Not much is known about how these people spoke though, and I cba to write down what is known here. Instead you'll have to be happy with three words from there: kungsfågel 'hummingbird' (SSw. kolibri) [Old word given new meaning, 'kungsfågel' is goldcrest in SSw.], espan 'raccoon' (SSw. tvättbjörn) [Lenape loanword], fiskatt 'skunk' (SSw. skunk) [fis 'fart' + katt 'cat'].
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

I thought there were some people somewhere in USA who still spoke a really old-fashioned Swedish.
Anders wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:Ånej. :o
:)
Har du inte hört det?
Nej.
My most recent quiz:

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Qwynegold wrote:I thought there were some people somewhere in USA who still spoke a really old-fashioned Swedish.
I am not so sure about Swedish, but I know that there are still people from parts of North Dakota and Minnesota which apparently still speak various Norwegian dialects...
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.