Irrealis Morphology in Montana Salish (or, my senior thesis)

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Irrealis Morphology in Montana Salish (or, my senior thesis)

Post by roninbodhisattva »

I just finished the final draft of my senior honors thesis, titled Irrealis Morphology in Montana Salish.

Irrealis Morphology in Montana Salish
This thesis investigates the form and function of irrealis morphology in Montana Salish. The category irrealis, which is marked with a prefix on both nouns and verbs, indicates that the word it marks belongs to an ‘unreal’ world, generally expressing future or hypothetical meanings. While the irrealis prefix was previously thought to have two allomorphs, qł- and q-, this thesis aims to show that there are in fact three allomorphs, qł-, qs-, and q-. The first two allomorphs are lexically conditioned: nouns are prefixed with qł- and verbs are prefixed with qs-. Both may appear as q- in certain morphological contexts. A second aim is to explore the interaction of the irrealis with aspectual morphology (called 'marked irrealis' here). The irrealis prefix may combine with what appears at first to be continuative suffixes, -mí/-i (for intransitives) or -m (for transitives), yet these forms do not seem to mark continuative aspect. This brings into question the role of the ‘continuative’ suffixes in those irrealis form which have them. I demonstrate that there is a syntactic, not a semantic, difference between those irrealis forms which have the ‘continuative’ suffixes and those that do not. Taking this fact into account, I offer an approach to the historical development of the marked irrealis which differs from that offered by Kroeber (1999), and show that this approach better explains the synchronic distribution and use of the marked irrealis in Montana Salish.
Last edited by roninbodhisattva on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Irrealis Morphology in Montana Salish (or, my senior the

Post by eodrakken »

Cool. I'd definitely read this if you uploaded it.

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

Ditto!

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

That there sure is one impressive abstract you got there, roninbodhisattva.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

All things Salish are awesome.

But your thesis ... what *could* anyone say from just the abstract except "please show the actual document" ?
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Berek wrote:All things Salish are awesome.

But your thesis ... what *could* anyone say from just the abstract except "please show the actual document" ?
What a philistine. True abstract connoisseurs know and appreciate the difference between a pedestrian abstract and a quality one like roninbodhisattva's up there!
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Grimalkin
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Grimalkin »

This is indeed a quality abstract, but I hope you are aware that none of our ravenous linguistic appetites will be satiated until we see the entire thesis.

PS. Just noticed a minor error - third line down, second paragraph:
roninbodhisattva wrote: this thesis aims to show that there are in fact has three allomorphs, qł-, qs-, and q-.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Jon wrote:This is indeed a quality abstract, but I hope you are aware that none of our ravenous linguistic appetites will be satiated until we see the entire thesis.
Yes, I'll be uploading after this reaction. Though it's gonna have to wait to tonight.
Jon wrote:]PS. Just noticed a minor error - third line down, second paragraph:
roninbodhisattva wrote: this thesis aims to show that there are in fact has three allomorphs, qł-, qs-, and q-.
Dammit. Thanks for pointing this out. The abstract was written up maybe...15 minutes before I turned this thing in (it was quite a tight deadline yesterday), and this slipped through. Oh well. Changed in the document and here, thanks for pointing it out.

MrKrov
Sanci
Sanci

Post by MrKrov »

(demand for uploading .pdf file)
Pthug wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:I grew up my entire life surrounded by a Special Ed educator.
i can imagine
Catch me on YouTube.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

[link removed]