20 Awesomely Untranslatable Words

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Jashan
Lebom
Lebom

20 Awesomely Untranslatable Words

Post by Jashan »

An article about untranslatable words

Discussion/arguments may begin.
[quote="Xephyr"]Kitties: little happy factories.[/quote]

catberry
Sanci
Sanci

Re: 20 Awesomely Untranslatable Words

Post by catberry »

#17 isn't a word, but rather a phrase. That is all.
You killed yourself. By waving a scientist around.
-is female-

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

The 'untranslatable' can be attacked, of course, but that would be missing this author's point.

The point is in the last two paragraphs-- words do not only have shared meanings; they also have shared connotations. That depth is something the author wants to draw attention to, and appreciate. For that, he selected a few words that really connect to his own experience, and possibly ours.

A tad poetic, but why not.
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Both #1 and #20 (both of which always crop up on these lists) can be adequately translated with the Welsh hiraeth (which never crops up on any list.)
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Also, note that as the example of schadenfreude exhibits, we can always just borrow the word in question, and the problem of translation becomes moot.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Dewrad wrote:Both #1 and #20 (both of which always crop up on these lists) can be adequately translated with the Welsh hiraeth (which never crops up on any list.)
I think I saw it on a list once... but it was in a patronising 'wow celtic is so SPIRITUAL' format that made me want to VOMIT.

I like number 3... that's kind of covered by youth dialect 'fail', but 'fail' has a whole variety of meanings (which I imagine are 'untranslatable', actually :P).

Also, isn't 14 kind of 'homesickness' (and also, incidentally, I'd argue, can be translated as 'hiraeth' if it has connotations of 'missing')?

Anyway, these are pretty good words... I'm going to try and adopt 'tingo'. :P
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I couldn't see what was so untranslatable about prozvonit. It's obvious it has to do with calling, and it would be even more obvious for Mecislau.

catberry
Sanci
Sanci

Post by catberry »

I like #1 a lot. But then, I'm a teenager :P
You killed yourself. By waving a scientist around.
-is female-

LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

catberry wrote:I like #1 a lot. But then, I'm a teenager :P
I also like toska, but I've known that feeling since I was self aware and I like Russian. I don't think it's really a "teen" thing. Not for everyone.
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

YngNghymru wrote:Also, isn't 14 kind of 'homesickness' (and also, incidentally, I'd argue, can be translated as 'hiraeth' if it has connotations of 'missing')?
"Dépaysement" certainly doesn't mean that. If it's related to homesickness, it's its opposite; to be "dépaysé" is mostly positive. It's a feeling of akwardness when in a different place, but it makes you feel good, or at least, it doesn't hurt. It's the feeling of being filled with the alienness of a new country you visit, and it positively conflicts with your internalized normality. You are not missing your home country; indeed, it may lead to the opposite, where you turn out to loathe your home country.

(Edit : This meaning comes from a more negative meaning, which is simply to "disorient". Then again, I wouldn't use "dépayser" (litterally, "uncountrify") in such a negative way. At best, I'd use it in a way meaning "to confound someone about a place by virtue of its inherent alienness.")
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

I did wonder why it was listed as untranslatable if it just meant 'homesickness'. That's an interesting one, then.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Adrianovaz2007
Niš
Niš

Post by Adrianovaz2007 »

Hey! #10, a brazillian one! Well, I think isn't so untraslatable (The word "untraslatable" can, actually, be translated to Brazillian Portuguese as "intraduzível")...

#20: "Ter saudades de alguém" can be translated as "to miss someone". The proper "miss" can't be translated as one word onto Brazillian Portuguese, usually I wrote "sentir falta".

P.S.: #19 - Does duende really means that in Spanish???
If you can read portuguese and is interested on music news, [url=http://blogmusicnonstop.blogspot.com/]Music Non-Stop![/url]

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

Isn't jayus something like a Chinese "cold joke?" Maybe it's not, though; the only one I've ever been told I thought was very funny.

I can't decide which one I like most. Toska, litost, Torschlusspanik, wabisabi and l'appel du vide are all pretty illuminating. Anyways, what are some English words that don't translate into any other language?

Adrianovaz2007
Niš
Niš

Post by Adrianovaz2007 »

Now I've readed all the posts with attention I'm thinking how strange is see that other languages don't have a word for saudade, this word is so poetic and deep, emotionally speaking...
If you can read portuguese and is interested on music news, [url=http://blogmusicnonstop.blogspot.com/]Music Non-Stop![/url]

Adrianovaz2007
Niš
Niš

Post by Adrianovaz2007 »

Snaka wrote:I can't decide which one I like most. Toska, litost, Torschlusspanik, wabisabi and l'appel du vide are all pretty illuminating.
Toska and L'Appel du Vide are really interesting, these two and Schadenfreude are my fav on the list (along Saudade, of course).

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Snaka wrote:Anyways, what are some English words that don't translate into any other language?
Fuck. There's no one word in any other language that can cover all the uses of the English word fuck.

I'm also sad they're missing the Finnish word sisu.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Viktor77 wrote:
Snaka wrote:Anyways, what are some English words that don't translate into any other language?
Fuck. There's no one word in any other language that can cover all the uses of the English word fuck.
I beg to disagree, criss.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Adrianovaz2007
Niš
Niš

Post by Adrianovaz2007 »

Viktor77 wrote:
I think the Brazilian slang "foda" and his verbal form "foder" could cover all the meanings of fuck...

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

catberry wrote:#17 isn't a word, but rather a phrase. That is all.
It's a compound actually, French is fond of those.

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Yiuel Denjidzirc wrote:
YngNghymru wrote:Also, isn't 14 kind of 'homesickness' (and also, incidentally, I'd argue, can be translated as 'hiraeth' if it has connotations of 'missing')?
"Dépaysement" certainly doesn't mean that. If it's related to homesickness, it's its opposite; to be "dépaysé" is mostly positive. It's a feeling of akwardness when in a different place, but it makes you feel good, or at least, it doesn't hurt. It's the feeling of being filled with the alienness of a new country you visit, and it positively conflicts with your internalized normality. You are not missing your home country; indeed, it may lead to the opposite, where you turn out to loathe your home country.
Indeed. Homesickness is generally translated by "mal du pays".

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

I was kinda disappointed they didn't have l'esprit de l'escalier.

My favorite is Li (理), literally meaning the markings in jade, but symbolically means the fluid organization of nature, the sort of "just so" nature of the universe characterized by the Chinese view of heaven and earth.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Danish hyggelig pretty much corresponds to German gemütlich as far as I know.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Adrianovaz2007 wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Fuck. There's no one word in any other language that can cover all the uses of the English word fuck.
I think the Brazilian slang "foda" and his verbal form "foder" could cover all the meanings of fuck...
Like fuck!
Cockroach wrote:I was kinda disappointed they didn't have l'esprit de l'escalier.
Oh, you mean Treppenwitz?

Acid Badger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Acid Badger »

It's because words such as Torschlusspanik why I think that german is a beautiful language.
Viktor77 wrote:Fuck. There's no one word in any other language that can cover all the uses of the English word fuck.
Oh, did you heard about italian cazzo? I'm not native to english, but I think it fits fuck quite well in many situations.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Note: they only said the words couldn't be translated into ENGLISH.

For a word the other way, I doubt if many languages have a simple non-borrowed equivalent for "googly": the event in which a ball, thrown from a person's right hand in a way that does not involve flexing the elbow, to which spin has been imparted by a rotation of the wrist of the thrower, which causes the ball to drift to the left (looked at by the thrower) in the air and then reverses direction to travel sharply to the right (while still drifting back to the left/centre) upon impact with the ground, but which is thrown in such a way as to make observers expect the ball to drift to the right and turn to the left instead.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!