Danish phonetics

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
AnTeallach
Lebom
Lebom

Danish phonetics

Post by AnTeallach »

An interesting post on John Wells's blog about Danish:
http://phonetic-blog.blogspot.com/2010/11/danish.html

Do other people (including non-English speakers) agree that the "/ð/" sounds lateral? Based on the recordings mentioned in the comments, my ears do seem to hear it as (English) /l/.

Niedokonany
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Danish phonetics

Post by Niedokonany »

Somehow I keep overlooking the said recordings mentioned in the comments, but here it does sound lateral to me when in coda position (between vowels I hear no sound at all or something like [M\]).
uciekajcie od światów konających

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu15bzJYyGE

Go to 1:20.

On the basis of this video, I think it's just 'whatever approximant sounds most ridiculous to the opinion of the speaker'
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Piotr wrote:Somehow I keep overlooking the said recordings mentioned in the comments, but here it does sound lateral to me when in coda position (between vowels I hear no sound at all or something like [M\]).
there's definitely something weird going on there with velarization or something; that sounds to me like [me@_^D_o]
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Radagast
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Radagast »

I've heard other foreigners hear it as a lateral. My daughter produces a lateral for /ð/ in both Danish and Spanish. I think that the lateral sound comes from its being a lot more interdental (the tongue basically moves from an alveolar to an interdental approximant during production) and a lot more approximantic than most other kinds of /ð/.
[i]D'abord on ne parla qu'en poésie ; on ne s'avisa de raisonner que long-temps après.[/i] J. J. Rousseau, Sur l'origine des langues. 1783

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

I hear it as a lateral, but having spent time with a bunch of Danes this summer, I'm happier saying that it's an interdental approximant. It is more open than Spanish /ð/, however, which itself is more open than English /ð/.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

AnTeallach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by AnTeallach »

Piotr wrote:Somehow I keep overlooking the said recordings mentioned in the comments, but here it does sound lateral to me when in coda position (between vowels I hear no sound at all or something like [M\]).
The recordings mentioned in the comments are at http://da.forvo.com/search/%C3%A6de/ (a recording of "æde", which my ears hear as similar to the English word "ill") and at http://widmann.org.uk/roederoegedeoerreder.wma (a recording of "røde, røgede ørreder").

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

The thing about the Danish /ð/, is that it also influences the preceding vowel. Icelandic <með> and Danish <med> do not sound alike, because the /ð/ does something to the <e>, which I don't know the phonological name of, in Danish, which doesn't happen in Icelandic.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Skomakar'n wrote:The thing about the Danish /ð/, is that it also influences the preceding vowel. Icelandic <með> and Danish <med> do not sound alike, because the /ð/ does something to the <e>, which I don't know the phonological name of, in Danish, which doesn't happen in Icelandic.
I thought the thing about the Danish /ð/ was that it had weird articulation. Of course, the two may well be related.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Radagast
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Radagast »

Skomakar'n wrote:The thing about the Danish /ð/, is that it also influences the preceding vowel. Icelandic <með> and Danish <med> do not sound alike, because the /ð/ does something to the <e>, which I don't know the phonological name of, in Danish, which doesn't happen in Icelandic.
I don't think that is accurate.

Danish med is [mED] - but the reason the vowel is midlow isn't the D because we also have [me:De] "runners of a sleigh", [leD] "gate" and [le?D]/[leD?] "mean". So it isn't the D's fault that the E in med is lower than its icelandic counterpart. In fact I don't think there are any vowels that cannot precede D.
[i]D'abord on ne parla qu'en poésie ; on ne s'avisa de raisonner que long-temps après.[/i] J. J. Rousseau, Sur l'origine des langues. 1783

AnTeallach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by AnTeallach »

Another commenter on Wells's blog has given a link to http://fonetik.dk/dansk_udtale/oevelser/ (in Danish) which has lots of recordings of Danish sounds, including the "/ð/", stød, and the vowels.

This was mentioned by Wells too, but a lot of the vowels seem to me to be higher than their traditional transcriptions (and the comparisons to English vowels on the site Piotr linked too) suggest. E.g. the Danish short vowel often spelt æ sounds close to IPA [e], and more like English KIT than DRESS, in the recordings.

Radagast
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Radagast »

Danish high and mid high vowels sound higher than the Cardinal vowels to most english speakers I think. They did to Rory any way. There are also some tongue root action going on to make them sound higher I think.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Radagast wrote:Danish high and mid high vowels sound higher than the Cardinal vowels to most english speakers I think. They did to Rory any way. There are also some tongue root action going on to make them sound higher I think.
They did to me, yes, and apparently they also do to Wells, so I feel validated in my perception. (Incidentally, I think this is why Ditte is having a hard time distinguishing /e, E/ in Otomi.)
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Wasn't there a video joking that Danish phonology is wacky that even Danes can't really understand it anymore?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Radagast
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Radagast »

no.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Rory wrote:yes.
LOL, I love that video...
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró