Vowel raising before velars

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Vowel raising before velars

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Some English dialects have E > e / _g IIRC, right? And my dialect of Swedish has E > E_r / _[+velar]. Is this a common phenomenon that I just happened not to notice until now? Are there any examples of similar changes in other languages?
Attention, je pelote !

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Vowel raising before velars

Post by Soap »

Well, Middle English also raised short "e" to short "i" (I'm not sure what the IPA value was at the time). Hence we have words like sang and wing but nothing with {eng} except for a few things like {length} and {strength} and of course the word {English} itself. I'm not sure why the length & strength words didn't change, and English did change but the spelling has stuck.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Soap wrote:Well, Middle English also raised short "e" to short "i" (I'm not sure what the IPA value was at the time). Hence we have words like sang and wing but nothing with {eng} except for a few things like {length} and {strength} and of course the word {English} itself. I'm not sure why the length & strength words didn't change, and English did change but the spelling has stuck.
In much of modern North American English, long after the Middle English period of course, the likes of length and strength did indeed change, with most instances of /ɛŋ/ being raised to merge with /eɪ̯ŋ/. (We, of course, have already discussed this on here many times.)
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Alces
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Alces »

I'm not sure why the length & strength words didn't change, and English did change but the spelling has stuck.
I wonder if they might not have changed because the alternative pronunciations /lEnT strEnT/ were usual then, and the modern forms have more recently got the /g/ back through analogy with 'long', 'strong'.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Soap wrote:Hence we have words like sang and wing but nothing with {eng} except for a few things like {length} and {strength} and of course the word {English} itself.
Are there really people who say "English" with [E]? The pronunciation is so ingrained with me that I even ported it to German until I was corrected on it.

Tropylium⁺
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Tropylium⁺ »

linguoboy wrote:
Soap wrote:Hence we have words like sang and wing but nothing with {eng} except for a few things like {length} and {strength} and of course the word {English} itself.
Are there really people who say "English" with [E]? The pronunciation is so ingrained with me that I even ported it to German until I was corrected on it.

No, but it has orthographic <e>, suggesting it has /ɪ/ for the same reason words like "electric" do.

"Strength" and "length" come from umlaut of *o (cf. "strong", "long") which could explain the lack of raising.
Not actually new.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Tropylium⁺ wrote:No, but it has orthographic <e>, suggesting it has /ɪ/ for the same reason words like "electric" do.
Whut

/@lEktrIk/
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

YngNghymru wrote:
Tropylium⁺ wrote:No, but it has orthographic <e>, suggesting it has /ɪ/ for the same reason words like "electric" do.
Whut

/@lEktrIk/
I have the same, basically, too. (Of course, unstressed historical /ɪ/ in my dialect has become [ə] before /l/, when said /l/ has not simply become syllabic, in everyday speech, primarily only being preserved morpheme-initially in careful speech.)
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

linguoboy wrote:

I was using { } to show orthography, an old habit I picked up from the early days of the board and never lost. Pologies. I'll try to remember to use the < > from now on.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Boşkoventi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Boşkoventi »

Soap wrote:Well, Middle English also raised short "e" to short "i" (I'm not sure what the IPA value was at the time). Hence we have words like sang and wing but nothing with {eng} except for a few things like {length} and {strength} and of course the word {English} itself. I'm not sure why the length & strength words didn't change, and English did change but the spelling has stuck.
As far as I understand it, that change only occurred before [N] (e.g. "sing" [sIN] but "leg" [lEg])*. Latin apparently also raised /e/ before [N], e.g. signum [siNnum] < *segnom < PIE *sekw-.

* Yes, some dialects have [leg] or [leIg], but that's a separate, later change.
Alces wrote:I wonder if they might not have changed because the alternative pronunciations /lEnT strEnT/ were usual then, and the modern forms have more recently got the /g/ back through analogy with 'long', 'strong'.
That may well be the case. The OED lists various written forms from around the 13th and 14th centuries suggesting /lEnT strEnT/ (but also /lEnkT strEnkT/).
Radius Solis wrote:The scientific method! It works, bitches.
Είναι όλα Ελληνικά για μένα.

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

So does this only tend to happen with mid to close front vowels? There are no examples of, say, o > u / _k, g, N?
Attention, je pelote !