turkish or qazaq question

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Přemysl
Lebom
Lebom

turkish or qazaq question

Post by Přemysl »

I realize asking about Turkish to understand Qazaq is a bit like asking about Hittite to understand English but still it is worth the try. If someone understands Qazaq great*, but I'd still love to know how Turkish does it. I'm trying to figure out how to derive an adjective from a noun. There are several denominalizing suffixes but I am unsure of the implications of each. In English I could say hunting eagle and either mean it is an eagle for hunting or it is an eagle that hunts. How would Turkish and/or Qazaq deal with those two possibilities? I am particularly interested in the second.

Hunter is аңшы, so my guess would have been аңшылық (sadly my dictionary says hunter becomes shooting). -лық seems to suggest the state of containing that condition, American becomes American, and autonomy becomes autonomous. But then academy becomes academic and mother becomes maternal which has a kind of instrumental use. Then to throw a wrench into the works profiteer becomes profiteering which is close to what I was looking for.

*I doubt it but better odds here than any other place I frequent.

OlgaNaft
Niš
Niš

Re: turkish or qazaq question

Post by OlgaNaft »

In the Russian language is much more complicated! I know what I'm saying ... :)

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Quick, someone find Glenn!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Prmysl wrote:Hunter is аңшы, so my guess would have been аңшылық (sadly my dictionary says hunter becomes shooting). -лық seems to suggest the state of containing that condition, American becomes American, and autonomy becomes autonomous. But then academy becomes academic and mother becomes maternal which has a kind of instrumental use. Then to throw a wrench into the works profiteer becomes profiteering which is close to what I was looking for.
In Anatolian Turkish, -lUk forms abstract nouns, not adjectives. So avcılık is "hunting" in the sense of "huntsmanship". For "hunting (adj.)" you would just use the form with suffix -CU, i.e. avcı şahin "hunting hawk; hawk which is a good hunter". Or use a possessed form of the head noun, e.g. av şahini "hunting hawk, hawk used for hunting". (Cf. av köpeği "hunting dog, game hound".)

I'm assuming -шы is the Qazaq answer to -CI and thus аңшы could be used as a modifier in the same way, but I don't really know for sure. The most common adjective-deriving suffix in Anatolian Turkish is -lI, e.g. şahinli "hawkish, acciptrine".

Basilius
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Basilius »

I think аңшылық құстары lit. 'birds of hunting' are birds people hunt. (At least, I could find a book title, Қазақстанның кәсіби-аңшылық құстары, which seems to suggest such reading.)

(The morphemic translations to Turkish, avcılık and kuşları, are both valid forms, so it's not exactly like Hittite to English).

Also, this online dictionary has аңшы ит for Russian охотничья собака 'hunting dog'; so yes, аңшы can be used attributively (although normally it's a substantive, 'hunter').
Basilius