Polyglottal Telephone XI

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Polyglottal Telephone XI

Post by faiuwle »

Well, there is qiihoskeh. I looked over my translation again, and I don't think it is that impenetrable, and it probably does not have any words in it that are not in my [mostly] American Spanish dictionary, so.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I've PMed him with it; if he doesn't get back to me in the next couple of days I might pass the buck to Renacido, or Viktor if I must; I am a bit wary of using the same person twice though.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Qiihoskeh has completed the chain for us. Hooray! I will shortly post the results on the kneequickie; hold tight! :D

EDIT: http://www.kneequickie.com/kq/Polyglott ... one/PGT_XI

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

finlay, on KQ, wrote:Astraios did something rather naughty and corrected Rickard's Lakota, and then translated very narrowly out of that instead. His translation is thus the source of much of the funny extra bits in Team A's final text ("those who call themselves Muslims" rather than "the Muslims", for example).
xD You didn't have to post my English translation, silly boy. :P

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Yes I did. Otherwise the rest of us can't follow it. You only provided one, remember.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Lol woops. :oops:

Well, everyone gets nervous when it's their first time. :)

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Haha, I enjoyed the results. I said I'd organize some "advanced" polyglottal telephone game when this was done, but I don't feel like it anymore, looking at mistakes is more entertaining.
Astraios wrote:
finlay, on KQ, wrote:Astraios did something rather naughty and corrected Rickard's Lakota, and then translated very narrowly out of that instead. His translation is thus the source of much of the funny extra bits in Team A's final text ("those who call themselves Muslims" rather than "the Muslims", for example).
xD You didn't have to post my English translation, silly boy. :P
It's relevant because your translation into French does say "Ceux qui s’appellent les Musulmans", etc. :)

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Renaçido wrote:It's relevant because your translation into French does say "Ceux qui s’appellent les Musulmans", etc. :)
True. :P

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

I don't know Danish - how did we go from "large" to "short" and from "mark" to "left", and where did "while you sleep" come from? And, I'm guessing "Han" was the Danish pronoun that didn't get translated?

I really wasn't sure whether nanctus est was supposed to be "met with" or "got", and it didn't make any sense either way, but I guess I picked the wrong one. I couldn't find the -ve ending that meant "or", either...

ETA: I see how Morgan became female - there are no gendered pronouns referring to Morgan in Colz's translation at all.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

qiihoskeh
Sanci
Sanci

Post by qiihoskeh »

I like how the white man shows up in two different places.
"The sable is empty, and his Norse is gone!" -- kathrynhr

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Renaçido wrote:Haha, I enjoyed the results. I said I'd organize some "advanced" polyglottal telephone game when this was done, but I don't feel like it anymore, looking at mistakes is more entertaining.
That mean you'll organise a normal one then?

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

I've only heard "Morgan" as a female name, and the translation I got could have gone either way.
I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

faiuwle wrote:I don't know Danish - how did we go from "large" to "short" and from "mark" to "left", and where did "while you sleep" come from? And, I'm guessing "Han" was the Danish pronoun that didn't get translated?

I really wasn't sure whether nanctus est was supposed to be "met with" or "got", and it didn't make any sense either way, but I guess I picked the wrong one. I couldn't find the -ve ending that meant "or", either...

ETA: I see how Morgan became female - there are no gendered pronouns referring to Morgan in Colz's translation at all.
Left, it seems, was intended to be a participle form of leave, but then translated as left the opposite of right. But that sentence was a bit messed up to begin with.

Morgan... well, I've met more female Morgans, admittedly, even though it's probably only one or two, but I definitely think of it as a unisex name. There was a funny story my friend once told me about his friend Morgan, which was that he deliberately found a girl who was also called Morgan to be his girlfriend just so that he could shout out his own name during sex... :P

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

jmcd wrote:
Renaçido wrote:Haha, I enjoyed the results. I said I'd organize some "advanced" polyglottal telephone game when this was done, but I don't feel like it anymore, looking at mistakes is more entertaining.
That mean you'll organise a normal one then?
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36810

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Oh, it's done!

I don't think you should blame Colz for the commas, they're copied straight from the Danish text. But it's pretty obvious that s/he doesn't know Danish very well, on the other hand; "som du ved" ("as you know") became "while you sleep" (wtf) and "efterlod sit mærke" ("left his mark") became "after he reached left", among other things.
Attention, je pelote !

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Lol, how did we get pavillion -> flag -> curtain -> gate?

It would've been funnier if team A had turned "He knew well that the temple was supposed to hold, but the monk had lit it anyway" into "...but the monk set it on fire anyway".

I had no idea how one gives out measurements in Japanese, but that part seems to have been right. FSI translated a lot of my stuff little weirdly though.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Awesome! The results! Yay! I love the changes. Team B's is especially fucked up lol. That Danish detranslation really messed some stuff up haha.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I liked how wise turned into white. I seem to be responsible for turning pavilion into flag, but this here crappy online Romanian-English dictionary said that flag was one of the potential translations for the word, and I definitely do not speak Romanian so I had no idea. 8)

Otherwise, it doesn't look like I upfucked it too bad.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Risla wrote:I liked how wise turned into white.
Yeah that was me. There was at least one other bit (thinking "jede" (every) instead of "jene" (that) ) where mere carelessness caused error but most of it went fine and it's about as good as the other ones I did with languages I know less well.

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

Risla wrote:I liked how wise turned into white. I seem to be responsible for turning pavilion into flag, but this here crappy online Romanian-English dictionary said that flag was one of the potential translations for the word, and I definitely do not speak Romanian so I had no idea. 8)
"Flag" is a possible sense of French pavillon too, but from the context I suspected that wasn't what was meant.

I plainly screwed up reading ce que le temple était censé contenir as que le temple était censé contenir. I knew something was wrong, but for some reason I thought the issue must be a sense of contenir that I didn't know, or that the text was already faulty.

I think "the monk lit it anyway" is a valid reading of le moine l'a quand même éclairé out of context. I'm not sure why it didn't strike me that l' could be "him" and not "it". And obviously I know éclairer can mean "enlighten" because I got it right in the second paragraph!

Thanks for running this, finlay, it was fun.
Tirase | Iŋomœ (Akana)

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Hey, i'm just glad someone's already organising the next one, seeing as it's been over a year since the last one...

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

Viktor77 wrote:detranslation
Cislation? Can we say that?
I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Aeetlrcreejl wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:detranslation
Cislation? Can we say that?
No, the analogy you'd want to make with transgenderism is someone who becomes the opposite gender for some time and then changes back. I guess that makes them a re-cisgender person. So maybe you could say recislation, but detranslation is a more obvious derivation here. Cislation would be not translating something in the first place.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

I should also give my congratulations to all participants for their fast pace. Done in 36 days! That's an average of 3 days/person for team A and 3.2727... days/person for team B. (Putting it this way, team A was faster. :P )

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

eodrakken wrote:
Risla wrote:I liked how wise turned into white. I seem to be responsible for turning pavilion into flag, but this here crappy online Romanian-English dictionary said that flag was one of the potential translations for the word, and I definitely do not speak Romanian so I had no idea. 8)
"Flag" is a possible sense of French pavillon too, but from the context I suspected that wasn't what was meant.
Ah, okay, it was simply a homonym.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018