Traces of biconsonantal roots

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
tiramisu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Traces of biconsonantal roots

Post by tiramisu »

Preface: I had a hard time deciding whether I should start this thread immediately or wait until I looked into the subject some more. I decided that since I'm not too sure how to go about looking into it more (and with little free time on my hands), I should just bring it up and hear some others' input that might lead me in the right direction. At the same time, I figured it doesn't hurt to make a splinter of a contribution to the zBB's collective knowledge.

Occassionally, I come across instances in which Arabic demonstrates what were formerly biconsonantal roots (or at least that the two consonants derive from a morpheme unit with two consonants). Most recently, I have noticed what may have been a biconsonantal root *m-l.
We see, for example:
k-m-l "(be) complete"
sh-m-l "contain"; "fill (eg. with emotions)" -- possibly *m-l modified by the Semitic causative š-root?
m-l-ʔ "fill in, fill up"

Another instance that immediately comes to mind but I'm less certain about concerns *s-m:
s-m-a "call (s.o.) (s.t.)"
s-m-ع "hear"

Does anybody have any input? Particularly other instances of *m-l in Afro-Asiatic languages? Or other evidences of biconsonantal roots in Arabic?

I would partially like this thread to become a list of examples of biconsonantalism for future investigation, so all input (no matter how little) is good input. (Likewise, if the thread does turn out this way, I will also contribute examples as they come to my attention in my Arabic studies).

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Traces of biconsonantal roots

Post by linguoboy »

Attempts to reconstruct Proto-Afro-Asiatic (e.g. Ehret's Reconstructing Proto-Afroasiatic (Proto-Afrasian)) generally assume PAA roots were biconsonantal and extended by means of certain suffixes. (If these seems reminiscent of how PIE is reconstructed, it should, since a lot of work on PAA is dedicated to demonstrating its inclusion in a larger phylum.)

(I've heard a lot of criticism of Ehret's work in particular, but I'm not really in a position to pass judgment over it.)

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Zayk wrote:m-l-ʔ "fill in, fill up"
This *m-l is the same in Hebrew.

Zayk wrote:Another instance that immediately comes to mind but I'm less certain about concerns *s-m:
s-m-a "call (s.o.) (s.t.)"
s-m-ع "hear"
Hebrew:
šem name (n.)
š-m-ע hear, listen

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Yes, it's generally assumed that Proto-Afro-Asiatic was biconsonantal. There has been some efforts to identify many of the formants, but I don't know how far that's gotten.

The other things I remember from what I've read on the subject (which may well be misremembered) is that you see *d as the first radical in a disproportionately large number of roots dealing with destruction, death, and desolation, and *n as the first radical in many terms describing "useless" or "disgusting" animals.

EDIT: Also, all Semitic languages still have numerous roots that are still biconsonantal (things like *ʔb "father", *rš "head", *šl "to ask", *Hd "one", *mt "death", etc). Every language has turned at least some of these triconsonantal through various augments, however (eg, Hebrew šaʔal "ask")

tiramisu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tiramisu »

Mecislau wrote: you see *d as the first radical in a disproportionately large number of roots dealing with destruction, death, and desolation
d-m-ع "watery eyes"
d-m-r "(be) destroyed"
d-m "blood"
d-th-r "(become) extinct"
d-r-s "wipe out"

tiramisu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tiramisu »

Came across this while perusing my dictionary:
*f-t
f-t-q "unsew"
f-t-l "entwine"
f-t-f-t "crumble"
f-t-t "weaken" (Form I) > "crumble" (Form II)

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Zayk wrote:d-m-ع "watery eyes"
d-m "blood"
d-r-s "wipe out"
These three are in Hebrew:
d-m-ע to shed tears
dam blood
d-r-s to squash, trample, run over

Looking through the d-section of my dictionary, I am seeing a lot of words dealing with what Mecislau said, but I don't know how many it is in comparison with all the other letters.

Tropylium⁺
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Tropylium⁺ »

Mecislau wrote:you see *d as the first radical in a disproportionately large number of roots dealing with destruction, death, and desolation
…Did you do that intentionally?
Not actually new.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Tropylium⁺ wrote:
Mecislau wrote:you see *d as the first radical in a disproportionately large number of roots dealing with destruction, death, and desolation
…Did you do that intentionally?
Intentionally, no, but I did notice that right after I wrote it.

tiramisu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tiramisu »

zomg arabic n english r relatttted!!!!!!!!11r

tiramisu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tiramisu »

<Mecislau> Zayk: That said... p-t-ch "open, p-t-ch "carve, engrave", p-t-k "mix, blend", p-t-l "twist, twine", p-t-t "crumb, bit > break bread into pieces", p-t "piece of bread", p-t-y "be foolish", p-t-h "be wide", p-t-r "solve", p-t-` "surprise, amaze", p-t-q "split, cleave"

(Hebrew)

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Zayk wrote: d-r-s "wipe out"
Is that an Arabic root? If so, doesn't Arabic d-r-s means "learn"?
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Mr. Z wrote:
It actually means both "to wipe out" and "to study".

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

Zayk wrote:sh-m-l "contain"; "fill (eg. with emotions)" -- possibly *m-l modified by the Semitic causative š-root?
Didn't that have a different outcome in Arabic? I feel like it became ا or something like that.
I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/

tiramisu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tiramisu »

Well, what I mean is that the š-root pre-Semitically might have become part of the triconsonantal makeup and therefore would no longer be š-root morphemically by the time it became Semitic.

David McCann
Sanci
Sanci

Post by David McCann »

There's an interesting article on the web (I can't remember where): Root extension and root formation in Semitic and Afrasian, by Alexander Militarev. He discusses various suffixes and prefixes applied to biconsonental roots, with examples.

Khvaragh
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Khvaragh »

Renaçido wrote:
Mr. Z wrote:
It actually means both "to wipe out" and "to study".
There's some argument that the meaning of "to wipe out" is older [in Arabic], and that "to study" is the result of borrowing from Syriac, or a related dialect of Aramaic, which has d-r-S (i.e. /draS/ "he argued, debated" and /dar:eS/ "he instructed"), though Hebrew has it as well, d-r-S (/da:raS/ "he sought")
For example, see this line from the Mu`allaqa:t of Imru' l-Qays:

Code: Select all

فَهَلْ عِنْدَ رَسْمٍ دَارِسٍ مِنْ مُعَوَّلِ
/fahal ?\inda rasmin da:risin min mu?\aw:ali/
"So is there [any] solace [to be gained] from an obliterated trace?"

Of course, it's also possible that there's an even older meaning, which is "to tread over." The use of /da:ris/. /darasa/, etc. in old poetry suggests that it's not a general type of destruction (i.e. /damara/; there are lots of words in Arabic for destruction, but they have different senses; for example, I believe /halaka/ means originally "to abandon, to leave in dilapidation" and /xaraba/ means "to make into a ruin," and there are others), but specifically connected to the remains of caravan passes, settlements, campsites (this is how Imru' l-Qays uses it).

I tend to believe the d-r part of the root is an original bi-consonantal root: Hebrew /da:raS/ "he sought," Arabic /darasa/ "he effaced, tread over," Aramaic /draS/ "he argued, prepared, or tread out"; Hebrew /dror/ "flowing," Arabic /dar:a/ "it streamed" Hebrew /da:rak/ "he tread," Arabic /darraka/ "it lasted" /?adraka/ "he reached, arrived at," Aramaic /drEk~drak/ "he tread, stepped," /da:rka:/ "step (also threshing of corn)" . Hebrew /madrega:/ "steep place," Arabic /daradZ)a/ "he walked", /daridZ)a/ "he rose gradually," Aramaic /darga:/ "step, degree," /dar:eg/ "he stepped forward, advanced." Arabic /dariba/ "he was used to, trained" (c.f. /darb/ "road, path), Aramaic /dErba:/ "way."

All of these seem to have something to do with walking, or treading, or spreading out on, but this is just a theory of mine.
لا يرقىء الله عيني من بكى حجراً
ولا شفى وجد من يصبو إلى وتدِ
("May God never dry the tears of those who cry over stones, nor ease the love-pangs of those who yearn for tent-pegs.") - Abu Nawas

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

David McCann wrote:There's an interesting article on the web (I can't remember where): Root extension and root formation in Semitic and Afrasian, by Alexander Militarev. He discusses various suffixes and prefixes applied to biconsonental roots, with examples.
Is it this?
I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/

David McCann
Sanci
Sanci

Post by David McCann »

Aeetlrcreejl wrote:
David McCann wrote:There's an interesting article on the web by Alexander Militarev.
Is it this?
That's it!