My beef about ɨ/ɯ

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Niedokonany
Lebom
Lebom

Re: My beef about ɨ/ɯ

Post by Niedokonany »

I've actually caught myself "pronouncing" <Munkhâshi> as [munx1Si] in my thoughts, even though I'm not studying Romynian or anything.
finlay wrote:
Polish <y> is /ɨ/...
But not necessarily [ɨ] ;)
cedh audmanh wrote:
XinuX wrote:What annoys me is there's a precomposed <ş> for /ʃ/ but no precomposed <z̧> for /ʒ/.
Seconded. As soon as you need diacritics on vowels and consonants, the cedilla/comma below would be the best choice aesthetically for just about every consonant in the palatal/postalveolar region, if only it was available for all the relevant letters.
I've had exactly the same problem in one of my first more serious conlanging attempts... And indeed, when you have the same/similar diacritic on several consonants and vowels it can easily result in rather ugly sequences like śéćáźí or šěčǎžǐ.
uciekajcie od światów konających

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

I HATE <y> for /j/. For a high nonfront rounded vowel, I really like <ɨ> and <ï>. <y> too if there's no /y/.
Native English speaker btw.

As well, I use <ë> for /ʌ/ in Määda, so <ï> would make sense if it had a high nonfront unrounded vowel.

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

In my old language Aquenandi, I have /ɨ/, /j/ and /ɟ/ and had a terrible time Romanizing it. I ended up using <y j ǧ>, which is ugly as hell. I've been considering redoing the Roman orthography, but don't know what to do with these.

So pretty much, I agree completely.

Thomas Winwood
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Thomas Winwood »

cedh audmanh wrote:As for /ɨ ʉ/, I quite like using the IPA symbols for these, but unfortunately there's no capital version of either.
U+0197 CAPITAL LETTER I WITH STROKE (Ɨ) and U+0244 CAPITAL LETTER U BAR (Ʉ), both from the Latin Extended-B block (which has capital letter variants for quite a few IPA glyphs). You're welcome.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Risla wrote:In my old language Aquenandi, I have /ɨ/, /j/ and /ɟ/ and had a terrible time Romanizing it. I ended up using <y j ǧ>, which is ugly as hell. I've been considering redoing the Roman orthography, but don't know what to do with these.

Well, what's the rest of the inventory? If you have a complete set of palatals, you could probably do something like <y j gj>. Alternatively, <ɨ y j>.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Nortaneous wrote:
Risla wrote:In my old language Aquenandi, I have /ɨ/, /j/ and /ɟ/ and had a terrible time Romanizing it. I ended up using <y j ǧ>, which is ugly as hell. I've been considering redoing the Roman orthography, but don't know what to do with these.

Well, what's the rest of the inventory? If you have a complete set of palatals, you could probably do something like <y j gj>. Alternatively, <ɨ y j>.
/i ɨ u e ø o æ ɑ/

/m n ŋ/
/p b t d c ɟ k g/
/f v s z ʃ ʒ x χ h/
/w r l j/

the thing is, /kj/ /gj/ sequences actually contrast with /c/ and /ɟ/, like in /ruc-ɑ/ (hand-ACC) versus /ruk-j-ɑ/ (catch-POS-PAST). I realize that this is unlikely to be stable over time, but the contrast is definitely there now.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Radius Solis wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:
Besides, it's more convenient to reserve this for a palatal semivowel anyway.
This is what <j> is for.
For a language that has both /j/ and /y/, the latter has priority for <y> unless there is an umlaut process justifying <ü> for that. But that is the only circumstance I would ever consider using <j> for /j/. Especially when that might be needed for other things itself, such as a voiced palatal or postalveolar obstruent.

Not least because NAE speakers have wide exposure to mainly just two languages, English and Spanish, both of which use <j> for something else than /j/ - leaving the IPA feeling anomalous until you've gotten used to it from long exposure.
The use of <j> for something other than /j/ and, conversely, of using <y> for /j/ or something similar always seemed to me like an oddity of Anglic and Romance orthographies that just happened to get spread widely due to many new orthographies and transliteration/transcription systems being designed by people who natively speak (and are most literate in) Anglic and Romance languages. I would very much rather that <j> be used for /j/ rather than <y> in new orthographies and transliteration/transcription systems myself...
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Travis B. wrote:Despite the issues therewith, to me at least making /j/ be <j> and /ɨ/ or /ɯ/ be <y> still seems like, in the end, the most sensible choice here for anything written in Latin script. All the other choices are simply much worse.
But then what about English? If <j> represents /j/, then what represents /dZ/? That's always been my problem in English reforms. Short of <dzh> itself, for which there is no historical background in English, the only sensible options are diacritics as I can see it, and English doesn't much care for diacritics.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

linguoboy wrote: ı--A nightmare. Just what were the Turks thinking? While you're at it, why not use j for /ʤ/ and dotless j for /ʒ/ too?
How dare you! Who do you think you are to mock the linguistic innovations of the most magnificent Atatürk?

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Viktor77 wrote:
Travis B. wrote:Despite the issues therewith, to me at least making /j/ be <j> and /ɨ/ or /ɯ/ be <y> still seems like, in the end, the most sensible choice here for anything written in Latin script. All the other choices are simply much worse.
But then what about English? If <j> represents /j/, then what represents /dZ/? That's always been my problem in English reforms. Short of <dzh> itself, for which there is no historical background in English, the only sensible options are diacritics as I can see it, and English doesn't much care for diacritics.
What stops you from putting a diacritic on that <j>, or using some other digraph?
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Travis B. wrote:What stops you from putting a diacritic on that <j>, or using some other digraph?
The nature of Modern English and computer keyboards and the fact we don't do it for sh, ch, etc. Besides what good digraphs can there even be? Esperanto uses a g with a carrot or hacek (I forget which), but that's the only one I know.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Viktor77 wrote:Esperanto uses a g with a carrot
<3

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Astraios wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Esperanto uses a g with a carrot
<3
Correction, g with a circumflex.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I'm still pissing myself. Viktor, you're brilliant. :D

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Cockroach wrote:
linguoboy wrote:ı--A nightmare. Just what were the Turks thinking? While you're at it, why not use j for /ʤ/ and dotless j for /ʒ/ too?
How dare you! Who do you think you are to mock the linguistic innovations of the most magnificent Atatürk?
You mean the same linguistic genius who came up with the Sun Language Theory?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Astraios wrote:I'm still pissing myself. Viktor, you're brilliant. :D
Explain. I don't get it...?
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

carrot
caron

EDIT: On second thoughts, maybe you meant caret. Either way, the joke still works. :)

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Astraios wrote:carrot
caron

EDIT: On second thoughts, maybe you meant caret. Either way, the joke still works. :)
Well, it's a reasonable mistake. Look at this excerpt for caron "Possibly derived from caret after its similar shape." Then given the massive amount of vocabulary words and lack of phonemic distinction here in English, it cant be too surprising that someone would mess up the spelling of caret as carret.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Viktor77 wrote:Well, it's a reasonable mistake. Look at this excerpt for caron "Possibly derived from caret after its similar shape." Then given the massive amount of vocabulary words and lack of phonemic distinction here in English, it cant be too surprising that someone would mess up the spelling of caret as carret.
I didn't say it was an unreasonable mistake, I just found "g with carrot" extremely funny. Lighten up. :P

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Astraios wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Well, it's a reasonable mistake. Look at this excerpt for caron "Possibly derived from caret after its similar shape." Then given the massive amount of vocabulary words and lack of phonemic distinction here in English, it cant be too surprising that someone would mess up the spelling of caret as carret.
I didn't say it was an unreasonable mistake, I just found "g with carrot" extremely funny. Lighten up. :P
Even funnier when you think of the ghetto meaning of a G. :P
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Viktor77 wrote:Even funnier when you think of the ghetto meaning of a G. :P
xD Actually I think that kind of G would be funnier with a caret.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Astraios wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Even funnier when you think of the ghetto meaning of a G. :P
xD Actually I think that kind of G would be funnier with a caret.
Maybe but they already pretend they have 24 carets when it's really just corn gold coated plastic. :P
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Risla wrote:/i ɨ u e ø o æ ɑ/

/m n ŋ/
/p b t d c ɟ k g/
/f v s z ʃ ʒ x χ h/
/w r l j/

the thing is, /kj/ /gj/ sequences actually contrast with /c/ and /ɟ/, like in /ruc-ɑ/ (hand-ACC) versus /ruk-j-ɑ/ (catch-POS-PAST). I realize that this is unlikely to be stable over time, but the contrast is definitely there now.
You could definitely get away with using <ü> for /ɨ/ there. Also, does /c/ contrast with /tj/? /tʃ/?

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Yes on both counts to the contrasts, although I merged [c] and [tS] in some dialects. There's also /cj ɟj/.

I've actually been thinking of keeping <y> for /1/, using <j> for /ɟ/ and using <i> for /j/, since there's actually nowhere it would be ambiguous with /i/ thanks to phonotactics.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Risla wrote:Yes on both counts to the contrasts, although I merged [c] and [tS] in some dialects. There's also /cj ɟj/.
Fucking hell.
I've actually been thinking of keeping <y> for /1/, using <j> for /ɟ/ and using <i> for /j/, since there's actually nowhere it would be ambiguous with /i/ thanks to phonotactics.
Yeah, that's probably the best option.