Proto-Salishan?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Proto-Salishan?

Post by 8Deer »

I was wondering if there was any information out there on the web about proto-Salishan. I've been searching for a while now and have yet to find anything substantial. I was wondering if any of you had any .pdf's or other info. Thanks!

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Proto-Salishan?

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Oh man! I'm working with Proto-Salishan too, I'm actually planning on doing a con-Salish language. On the web...let me think. Well, there's theKinkade Collection, which is a online archive of papers from 1967-1999 from the International Conference on Salish and Neighboring languages, which is invaluable for anything. You'll definitely find things there. Do a filetype:pdf search on google too, you might turn up some good things.

Also, you'll definitely want to read as much of Paul Kroeber's book, The Salish Language Family: Reconstructing Syntax. It's an amazing resource for anything about Salish. The link I sent you was for google books, but you could also find a copy at a library. There's also Salish languages and linguistics: theoretical and descriptive perspectives ed. by Ewa Czaykowski-Higgins and Kinkade.

Also, look at Van Eijk's bibliography, available here in .pdf, for other resources you might be able to turn up. If you're really serious, you might want to try and just buy Kuipers' Salish Etymological Dictionary. I actually just picked up a copy, and it's awesome. You can but it here. It's like $25 plus shipping.

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

roninbodhisattva wrote:snipped
Thank you very much.
I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Aeetlrcreejl wrote:
roninbodhisattva wrote:snipped
Thank you very much.
You're quite welcome.

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

Thanks roninbodhisattva! My interest in proto-Salish isn't really conlang related, so I'm not looking for anything too in depth. My interest stems from the fact that I live in an area where Secwepemc is spoken and spend most of my summers in St'at'imc territory and have a great amount of interest in both languages and how they are similar/different. I think I will have to order the Salish Etymological Dictionary...

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

8Deer wrote:Thanks roninbodhisattva! My interest in proto-Salish isn't really conlang related, so I'm not looking for anything too in depth. My interest stems from the fact that I live in an area where Secwepemc is spoken and spend most of my summers in St'at'imc territory and have a great amount of interest in both languages and how they are similar/different. I think I will have to order the Salish Etymological Dictionary...
Actually, I think that really you might be better served than by finding material on Secwepemc and St'at'imcets in their modern day forms, because any work on Proto-Salish (especially the stuff I pointed to) is going to be a lot more focused on the proto-language rather than those two languages individually. You'll get a much better picture of how they differ if you compare the literature on them rather than looking through stuff on proto-Salish.

But! I'd look at through Van Eijk's bibliography. That will help you get to that literature.