[kx[ coarticulation?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
meidei
Niš
Niš

[kx[ coarticulation?

Post by meidei »

I was planning to make my first post here be about a conlang, but that would take me ages, I will post a question about articulation.

So, I noticed that when I pronounce /klip/ (the pronunciation of the word <clip> as a loanword in Greek), my /k/ seems to be half-way fricatized, something like /k͡xlip/. At first I though it was aspirated /k/, but it doesn't really sound like it (and in my dialect, to have an aspirated stop it must be a geminate first [k:h]).
Is it attested or at least logical, or I am just hearing things? Maybe it's simply aspiration (to native Greek speakers, even in dialects with aspirated consonants, [h] and [x] sound similar).

Here's an audiok͡xlip. Please tell me what you hear.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: [kx[ coarticulation?

Post by vec »

I think it's more that your /l/ is mostly unvoiced and perhaps somewhat fricativised.
vec

meidei
Niš
Niš

Post by meidei »

Thanks. I certainly didn't know about unvoiced /l/s. That would explain the impression of [x] there.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

i do that.

it's to do with the transition from one sound to another; there are several things that have to change between /k/ and /l/ and they don't all change at the same time.

it's the same reason that mints and mince are homophones for many english speakers; the closure, nasalisation and voicing all have to change between the two and if the denasalisation happens before the release of the closure, you effectively have [nts] rather than [ns]. subtleties like that aren't picked up in an alphabetic transcription system like the IPA.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

FWIW, to me (German speaker) it just sounds like plain [kl].

What happens for me is that the aspiration of initial [ptk] devoices a following fricative or approximant, so /kl/ becomes [kl̥], and /kr/ [kʁ̥]. Nasals somehow don't seem to be affected as much, only maybe initially (I didn't check a spectrogram, though), so /kn/ is probably something like [kʰ₍n̥].

Simmalti
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Simmalti »

I believe that approximants lose their voicedness when they follow unvoiced aspirated plosives in many dialects.

It happens to /l/'s and /r/'s

meidei
Niš
Niš

Post by meidei »

Interesting. I saw that devoiced /l/ is mentioned in some descriptions of English phonology but I never read anything about its existence in Greek. Probably I am using different rules for loanwords, since /klopi/ <κλοπή> doesn't give me the same impression of fricativization.

On a slightly offtopic matter, are there resources that can help me train in recognizing the sounds I hear? (I can do it in a very limited extend but I'd like to improve).

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

This might be of some help in learning to identify sounds, or at least learn the IPA.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

At least in my dialect, and I'd guess many American dialects, /l/ is completely velar (or even uvular, it's hard to tell) in many positions. <klip> is one of those cases.

Count Iblis
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Count Iblis »

Really hard to tell for me, but my best guess is [kxL\_0ip].

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

vecfaranti wrote:I think it's more that your /l/ is mostly unvoiced and perhaps somewhat fricativised.
How close am I? http://vocaroo.com/?media=vaqRNGYFaPULGBSwG

It's completely unrelated, I just thought of asking, I made the recording for another place.
<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I likewise tend to often affricate /k/ before /l/ if the /l/ is not turned into an approximant, especially if it is stressed; e.g. I myself pronounce clip as either [ˈk͡xʰʟ̞ɪʔp] or [ˈkʰɰɪʔp].
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Simmalti
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Simmalti »

Io wrote:
vecfaranti wrote:I think it's more that your /l/ is mostly unvoiced and perhaps somewhat fricativised.
How close am I? http://vocaroo.com/?media=vaqRNGYFaPULGBSwG

It's completely unrelated, I just thought of asking, I made the recording for another place.
It's sounds like you're trying to say "Eyjafjallajökull", "Vatnajökull" and "Skaftáreldar".