You

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: You

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Are we interested in a bit perspective on the pin discussion?

In my native Swedish, I readily distinguish between these:

"Knappnål" ('button pin')

"Häftstift" ('fastening tack')

"Säkerhetsnål" ('safety pin')

"Synål" ('sewing pin')

Any other pin-like object is a "nål".

What about other Swedish speakers, or speakers of other languages?
Attention, je pelote !

Niedokonany
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Niedokonany »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:I readily distinguish between these:
Me too:

Szpilki, pinezki, agrafki, igły.
uciekajcie od światów konających

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Xiądz Faust wrote:
Me too:

Tritto...

bucika, (risalni) žebljiček, (varnostna) sponka, šivanka/igla

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote: What about other Swedish speakers, or speakers of other languages?
Pin, pin, safety pin, needle.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Xiądz Faust wrote:
Me too:

Is there a single hypernym which embraces these four terms? (In my English, the first three are "pins" but the fourth is a "needle" and I can't readily find a broader term more precise or conventionalised than "pointy things".)

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

linguoboy wrote:(In my English, the first three are "pins" but the fourth is a "needle" and I can't readily find a broader term more precise or conventionalised than "pointy things".)
"sharps"
get a better English

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Pthug wrote:"sharps"
get a better English
Yeah, it's what I'm doing.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

candrodor
Sanci
Sanci

Post by candrodor »

Pthug wrote:
linguoboy wrote:(In my English, the first three are "pins" but the fourth is a "needle" and I can't readily find a broader term more precise or conventionalised than "pointy things".)
"sharps"
get a better English
Isn't that only really in a medical/drugs context? It's not exactly a general use term, in my English anyway...

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:Are we interested in a bit perspective on the pin discussion?

What about other Swedish speakers, or speakers of other languages?
Catalan:

1. Agulla de cap "pin"; literally "head needle".
2. Xinxeta "drawing pin". It's a diminutive of xinxa, which is the same thing but without the head.
3. Agulla imperdible "safety pin"; or simply imperdible *"unloseable".
4. Agulla de cosir "sewing needle", or simply agulla "needle".
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

candrodor wrote:
Pthug wrote:
"sharps"
get a better English
Isn't that only really in a medical/drugs context? It's not exactly a general use term, in my English anyway...
Yeah, to me "sharps" are pointy things a health care worker jabs into you. (Typically hypodermics, but also those simple disposables used for fingerprick tests.)

CaesarVincens
Lebom
Lebom

Post by CaesarVincens »

For those four I'd have:
pin (or sewing pin)
pin (or push pin)
safety pin
needle (or sewing needle)

The second forms are to be precise, though they might appear superfluously even if no extra distinction is necessary.

Niedokonany
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Niedokonany »

linguoboy wrote:
Xiądz Faust wrote:
Me too:

Is there a single hypernym which embraces these four terms? (In my English, the first three are "pins" but the fourth is a "needle" and I can't readily find a broader term more precise or conventionalised than "pointy things".)
None that I can think about. The usual vague expressions would simply be coś do przypięcia, coś żeby przypiąć X, coś do spięcia, coś żeby spiąć X, if you want to fasten/pin sth up.
uciekajcie od światów konających

Declan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Declan »

linguoboy wrote: Yeah, to me "sharps" are pointy things a health care worker jabs into you.
Interesting. I'd never have heard of a sharp!
[quote]Great wit and madness near abide, and fine a line their bounds divide.[/quote]

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Declan wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Yeah, to me "sharps" are pointy things a health care worker jabs into you.
Mom was a nurse.

candrodor
Sanci
Sanci

Post by candrodor »

Declan wrote:
linguoboy wrote: Yeah, to me "sharps" are pointy things a health care worker jabs into you.
Not even in the context of a 'sharps bin'? Those yellow bins used to dispose of used needles etc in hospitals or doctors' surgeries.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Declan wrote:Interesting. I'd never have heard of a sharp!
Me neither.

candrodor wrote:Not even in the context of a 'sharps bin'? Those yellow bins used to dispose of used needles etc in hospitals or doctors' surgeries.
And not this either.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

candrodor wrote:
Declan wrote:
Not even in the context of a 'sharps bin'? Those yellow bins used to dispose of used needles etc in hospitals or doctors' surgeries.
I've seen one, because I had a friend with diabetes, but I didn't know to call it that. The term does reek of clinicality for some reason. I would agree that there is no neat word in English that covers both pins and needles despite them being obviously related items.

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:In my native Swedish, I readily distinguish between these:
pin, thumbtack, safety pin, needle.

Radius also mentioned "brads" a while back, which is another category I distinguish despite having rarely used or even seen them in my life.

Declan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Declan »

Astraios wrote:
candrodor wrote:Not even in the context of a 'sharps bin'? Those yellow bins used to dispose of used needles etc in hospitals or doctors' surgeries.
And not this either.
Same. It seems that it's an American thing, because I know a lot of people in health care sector, and we call all them needles.
[quote]Great wit and madness near abide, and fine a line their bounds divide.[/quote]

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

spats wrote:Regarding the innovation of new 2P pronouns in English:

There are two "stages" if you will. In the first, a substitute like "you guys" is brought in, but only used for clarification - i.e. when using "you" would be ambiguous, or when emphasizing that s/he is talking to a whole group, and the usage may not be consistent. In the second stage, the innovated word of phrase becomes a true pronoun, and is always used.

In New England, we usually used "you guys", but it was a clarifying thing. My mother in law is from upstate New York and uses "youse" or "yuz" consistently as a 2P pronoun. Down here in Virginia where I live now, y'all is a pretty consistent 2P pronoun among locals but not transplants.

I think the "all y'all" thing is a good sort of test. Would a speaker use "all [of] <2P>", or "all of you" to address the entirety of a group? My mother in law would definitely use "all of youse", and most Southerners would use "all y'all", while a Bostonian who normally uses "you guys" would probably just say "all of you".
I'm definitely at stage 2. I say "you guys" even if all the people I'm addressing are female. I always use "all you guys", not "all you".

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

TaylorS wrote:

There are two "stages" if you will. In the first, a substitute like "you guys" is brought in, but only used for clarification - i.e. when using "you" would be ambiguous, or when emphasizing that s/he is talking to a whole group, and the usage may not be consistent. In the second stage, the innovated word of phrase becomes a true pronoun, and is always used.

In New England, we usually used "you guys", but it was a clarifying thing. My mother in law is from upstate New York and uses "youse" or "yuz" consistently as a 2P pronoun. Down here in Virginia where I live now, y'all is a pretty consistent 2P pronoun among locals but not transplants.

I think the "all y'all" thing is a good sort of test. Would a speaker use "all [of] <2P>", or "all of you" to address the entirety of a group? My mother in law would definitely use "all of youse", and most Southerners would use "all y'all", while a Bostonian who normally uses "you guys" would probably just say "all of you".
I'm definitely at stage 2. I say "you guys" even if all the people I'm addressing are female. I always use "all you guys", not "all you".
Same here as well.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

Travis B. wrote:
TaylorS wrote:

Same here as well.
Same, tho with occasional use of "y'all" instead of "you guys".

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:Are we interested in a bit perspective on the pin discussion?
1. sewing pin (or pin -- I wouldn't use pin for the other three though)
2. pushpin (or thumbtack? although thumbtacks normally have the little hat thing)
3. safety pin
4. needle
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Izo wrote:Catalan:

1. Agulla de cap "pin"; literally "head needle".
2. Xinxeta "drawing pin". It's a diminutive of xinxa, which is the same thing but without the head.
3. Agulla imperdible "safety pin"; or simply imperdible *"unloseable".
4. Agulla de cosir "sewing needle", or simply agulla "needle".
On the other hand, in Catalan...

1. This are xapes, singular xapa. They have a safety pin behind.

2. This is also a xapa. No pins or needles.

They are the protection for cork stoppers in wine bottles.

3. This is a pin. It's an anglicism, obviously.

Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Badge, champagne bottle cap thing/wire cage, badge (or pin).

I'm pretty sure the American versions of these are different (something like "button" for the first one IIRC).