Learn Northern Germanic the exciting way

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Learn Northern Germanic the exciting way

Post by Jipí »

"The exciting way." I suppose that would mean to be dropped from a helicopter, in a cold, dark, rainy winter night (wait, there's plenty redundancy in that!) in a remote Norwegian valley full of monolingual speakers.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Guitarplayer wrote:"The exciting way." I suppose that would mean to be dropped from a helicopter, in a cold, dark, rainy winter night (wait, there's plenty redundancy in that!) in a remote Norwegian valley full of monolingual speakers.
Hahaha. Not that I wouldn't take you up on that offer, but I'm afraid it's not possible with the resources available.

Still, my hope is for the reader to find this kind of text, with all of the comparison going on, with a bit of etymology notes and lots and lots of cognates, more exciting than the regular language guide.

Also, a bit of proof regarding the Swedish possession, from today, written by a forum member at a Swedish one:

Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Skomakarn, your list of which countries scandinavian languages are spoken in is wrong, and you should fucking know better than doing that omission.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Miekko wrote:Skomakarn, your list of which countries scandinavian languages are spoken in is wrong, and you should fucking know better than doing that omission.
I'll add a 'mainly'.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Skomakar'n wrote:
Miekko wrote:Skomakarn, your list of which countries scandinavian languages are spoken in is wrong, and you should fucking know better than doing that omission.
I'll add a 'mainly'.
How about an 'and parts of Finland'?
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Drydic Guy wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:
I'll add a 'mainly'.
True that.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

What do you plan on bringing up in the next installment?

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

I just realised that this is likely the only place on the internet where a thread entitled "Learn Northern Germanic the exciting way" will be interpreted as such.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

*Ceresz wrote:What do you plan on bringing up in the next installment?
Not sure yet. I need to get the rest of the personal pronouns, as well as inflecting them, in there, so I think I will start working with some simple sentences taking objects, such us "I love you".
dhokarena56 wrote:I just realised that this is likely the only place on the internet where a thread entitled "Learn Northern Germanic the exciting way" will be interpreted as such.
Hahaha. Yep. People would probably just fill my thread with spam at the forum from which the above screenshot was captured.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Guitarplayer wrote:"The exciting way." I suppose that would mean to be dropped from a helicopter, in a cold, dark, rainy winter night (wait, there's plenty redundancy in that!) in a remote Norwegian valley full of monolingual speakers.
I was hoping the OP meant a sexually exciting way to learn Northern Germanic languages.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Eddy wrote:
I was hoping the OP meant a sexually exciting way to learn Northern Germanic languages.
This could be, to some.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

You could always read Swedish/Danish/Norwegian/Icelandic erotic novels.

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Skomakar'n wrote:
Drydic Guy wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:
I'll add a 'mainly'.
True that.
You must have known what I wanted you to fucking add. "and parts of Finland". This is fucking obvious. You try to pontificate as some kind of expert on Northern Germanic and don't even grasp that?

Considering there's about as many native speakers of a northern Germanic language in Finland as in Iceland, it's not that much of a fucking stretch to include it? (Also, a surprisingly large segment of all currently living speakers of dialects of Swedish!)

Sorry to be an asshole about this, but fucking hell, give me a break. We exist too. We don't need your kind to keep pushing us down, we already have the true finns and the centre party doing that fine, thank you. (admittedly, your keeping us down is more subtle than what they attempt, but still. Some fucking solidarity, plz?)

Fuck you for changing it by adding "mainly", when "and Finland" would have been more true, equally functional, not broken the flow of the text, reflected the fact that it's a fucking official fucking language in fucking Finland, and not kept trying to deny the existence of a whole fucking Swedish-speaking community.

Asshole.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Skomakar'n wrote:a bit of proof regarding the Swedish possession
A quick googling gives approximately 1% "håret mitt" vs. "mitt hår" ("my hair"). But it's hard to tell among various expressions like "håret mitt på huvudet" ("the hair on the middle of the head").

By contrast, I find 2-3 times fewer hits for "min hår" (that is, the wrong gender usage). So you'll have to decide where to draw the line... :)

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Miekko wrote:You must have known what I wanted you to fucking add. "and parts of Finland". This is fucking obvious.
Yes, but I wrote my answer from my cellphone, and I haven't had the time to do so yet. What's with this hostility? No need to get angry. This goes for the rest of your post as well, so I'm not going to give any specific answers to the rest of it, but I am by no means trying to push you down. I'm trying to get a lot of information down, and it's easy to forget something. I know at least one speaker of Finnish Swedish, and I love the sound of it, so don't go thinking I don't like it.
Miekko wrote:You try to pontificate as some kind of expert on Northern Germanic and don't even grasp that?
I most certainly don't try to pontificate as anything. I even wrote this in the main post:
Skomakar'n wrote:I am by no means a full-blown expert in the field

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Chuma wrote: Anyway, in general, possessor after the noun is very rare, and I don't think it deserves mention in an ordinary Swedish textbook. But this might not be ordinary - if you're trying to teach the Nordic dialect continuum as a whole, maybe it does deserve mentioning.

This is actually an example of an interesting phenomenon. I think that whether some things are regarded as grammatical or not depends on who the speaker is. The only cases I would expect to hear a construction like the above is if the speaker has either lived deep in the Swedish forests for a hundred years, or just arrived and not yet learned to speak proper Swedish. So if the person saying it can't pull off looking like he's spent a hundred years in the Swedish forest, I would spontaneously think of it as erroneous.
I think postposed possessors are common enough - especially if you go even slightly north of Stockholm - to warrant being mentioned in textbooks. IIRC in earlier interactions with you, you aren't very familiar with dialectal variation within Swedish, though? Am I right about this?

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Miekko wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:
Drydic Guy wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:
I'll add a 'mainly'.
True that.
You must have known what I wanted you to fucking add. "and parts of Finland". This is fucking obvious. You try to pontificate as some kind of expert on Northern Germanic and don't even grasp that?

Considering there's about as many native speakers of a northern Germanic language in Finland as in Iceland, it's not that much of a fucking stretch to include it? (Also, a surprisingly large segment of all currently living speakers of dialects of Swedish!)

Sorry to be an asshole about this, but fucking hell, give me a break. We exist too. We don't need your kind to keep pushing us down, we already have the true finns and the centre party doing that fine, thank you. (admittedly, your keeping us down is more subtle than what they attempt, but still. Some fucking solidarity, plz?)

Fuck you for changing it by adding "mainly", when "and Finland" would have been more true, equally functional, not broken the flow of the text, reflected the fact that it's a fucking official fucking language in fucking Finland, and not kept trying to deny the existence of a whole fucking Swedish-speaking community.

Asshole.
If it helps force you confront your unpleasant anger issues sooner rather than later, it's good that he made that mistake.
Not good for the board, obviously, but good for your long-term health.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

I wish Aszev were writing this thread. Otherwise it's like trying to learn English from Viktor :(
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Dewrad wrote:I wish Aszev were writing this thread. Otherwise it's like trying to learn English from Viktor :(
I'm doing my best. Mainly because I enjoy it, so it's okay if you don't, even though I wish you would. Is there anything in particular that you don't like?

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Aszev does know a lot about Swedish, altho as I recall he also has some particular ideas of how things should be done. Come to think of it, I suppose I do too. It's true he would be an asset, but I think we can manage without him.

So far there seems to be more teachers than students, which I guess can be a good way to get the whole picture. But maybe Skomakarn feels like everyone is ruining his class. I think you're doing a good job, anyway. :)

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Chuma wrote:Aszev does know a lot about Swedish, altho as I recall he also has some particular ideas of how things should be done. Come to think of it, I suppose I do too. It's true he would be an asset, but I think we can manage without him.
I guess we all do, but I'm dropping that for this thread.
Chuma wrote:So far there seems to be more teachers than students, which I guess can be a good way to get the whole picture. But maybe Skomakarn feels like everyone is ruining his class. I think you're doing a good job, anyway. :)
Nah. Constructive criticism (and even corrections in a few cases) is always welcome. Thanks!

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

As a potential student, I'd rather have 3-5 teachers arguing over what's right than one monolithic THIS IS CORRECT which later I find out isn't so.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Drydic Guy wrote:As a potential student, I'd rather have 3-5 teachers arguing over what's right than one monolithic THIS IS CORRECT which later I find out isn't so.
That's why I tend to use terms like 'in general' and 'most people' a lot. Nothing is absolute.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

adder
Sanci
Sanci

Post by adder »

It's certainly a great idea and it definitely makes you save a lot of time. I've always wanted to learn Bokmål but there are virtually no free resources with full grammar, orthography, phonology, and syntax. Not to mention Icelandic which I fell in love with some time ago but it's the same with resources... I used to learn Swedish but I had no opportunity to practice it so I totally forgot just about everything beside things like 1-10, conjugations of a few verbs and a few words. Anyway, I remember quite a lot about the grammar.

I haven't read everything yet but It's definitely a good idea. :!:

Agricola Avicula
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Agricola Avicula »

I think it's quite fun reading this. I hope it won't be long till the next lecture.

Two small questions:
- to my ears, <er> in Norwegian sounds like [{r] or even [ar], as do other occurrences of <e> before <r>, not [E:r]. Does that make sense?
- doesn't <v> represent a labiodental approximant, rather than a fricative?

Gratulerer med dagen!
Ernie: Nothing.
Bert: What did you say?
Ernie: Nothing.
Bert: I thought you said something.