Alt Codes

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Alt Codes

Post by Mr. Z »

There seem to be tons of scripts on alt codes, but I can't find a list of all of them, or at least the general locations of different scripts. Can anyone give me that?
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Alt Codes

Post by Mecislau »

<unhelpful>learn to not use alt codes</unhelpful>

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Okay. What else can I use?
Přemysl wrote:
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Mecislau wrote:<unhelpful>learn to not use alt codes</unhelpful>
What's wrong with alt codes? I find them incredibly useful and know of no alternatives except the inconvenient character map.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Seriously, don't learn Alt codes if your intentions are to learn an entire script in that. I find them useful for particular accented letters (‹ñ, ç...›), but they aren't exactly an efficient way to type a script... Plus, very few (Windows) programs support them above Alt + 255. Word, Powerpoint, MSN Messenger. But not Excel, or Internet browsers, let alone most smaller applications.

Anyway, you can check them out by downloading Babelmap (a powerful expansion of Windows's shitty default character map), finding the Unicode point whose Alt code you want to know, clicking on it and selecting the "NCR (dec)" view in the Edit Buffer.
Last edited by Ser on Mon May 30, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Well, I'd love to use something else, but I don't know what. Any suggestions?
Přemysl wrote:
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

What scripts in particular? Windows comes with quite a few IMEs already: Chinese, Oriya, Tamil, Arabic...

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

I want a convenient way to write Kanji, Kana, Arabic script and maybe IPA. I don't want to install too many things, if that's possible.
Přemysl wrote:
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Depending on what version of windows you have, it should come with that capability already. Don't even think about trying to learn alt-codes for kanji. lolololol!

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

So how do I use them?
Přemysl wrote:
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

Control Panel > Language/Keyboard options > Install whatever language you need.
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

finlay wrote:Depending on what version of windows you have, it should come with that capability already. Don't even think about trying to learn alt-codes for kanji. lolololol!
That would be awesome, in a stupid sort of way. It would also presumably require you to know kanji in the first place. Of course, if you can memorize several thousand kanji, their meanings, and pronunciation, adding alt codes to that seems like a minor problem.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Learning Chinese characters with ALT CODES!? And I thought the Four Corners IME was rather crazy already...

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

Alt-codes? Windows users are odd :|

tatapyranga
Lebom
Lebom

Post by tatapyranga »

There is only one god and his name is Death. And there's only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Mr. Z wrote:I want a convenient way to write Kanji, Kana, Arabic script and maybe IPA. I don't want to install too many things, if that's possible.
Just turn on new keyboard layouts or make a custom one. From my English keyboard I can type all of Basic Latin, Latin-1, and Latin Extended-A, and Latin Extended-Additional, as well as most of Latin Extended-B and most IPA characters. And I know how to get at most accented characters even if I haven't ever used them before. (That said, I should modify this layout at some point when I have time to add the rest of IPA)

From my Cyrillic keyboard, I can type any character in Basic Cyrillic, Cyrillic Supplement, Cyrillic Extended-A and Cyrillic Extended-B.

I don't understand why anyone would use alt-codes if they were willing to take a bit of time to learn about custom keyboard layouts, which end up being so much more efficient and customizable.

EDIT: And if all you're doing is trying to add scripts like Kanji/Kana/Arabic, you don't even need a custom layout—just use a standard one that's probably already available on your system.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Zoris wrote:Alt-codes? Windows users are odd :|
It'd be nice if Windows users were educated about the existence of all the other keyboard layouts readily (or in WinXP, somewhat readily) available, yes.

And if Microsoft finally developed a character map that weren't stuck in Unicode 3.0. :| (We've got Babelmap for that at least. ♥)
Mecislau wrote:I don't understand why anyone would use alt-codes if they were willing to take a bit of time to learn about custom keyboard layouts, which end up being so much more efficient and customizable.
I do know quite a bit about keyboard layouts but I still find alt-codes useful for those few situations where I can't access Spanish diactritics and the ‹ñ›.

I can hardly see myself writing something in Arabic using Alt codes though.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

@Mr Z: If you don't know what the Chinese saying means, why do you have it in your signature?

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Eddy wrote:@Mr Z: If you don't know what the Chinese saying means, why do you have it in your signature?
Because it's all made-up words, non-sensical, à la *hadamashu.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Thanks for the help :D
@Eddy: Serafín is right.
Přemysl wrote:
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Mr. Z wrote:Thanks for the help :D
@Eddy: Serafín is right.
Oh.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »