Room Ticket

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Room Ticket

Post by Salmoneus »

Yeah, well in London you could get...

... well, you see this picture?

?

That room he's standing in (yes, just that room), was sold a couple of years ago for the equivalent of ~$330,000.
It's in a block of flats. It's just one room, about 70 sq ft in total. A lot of it is full of rubble. It has no heating, electricity, or water. The storage consists of an alcove cut into one wall, several inches deep. It's in a basement with no natural light. It's also full of mildew and damp.

An expensive flat in this city will set you back $10,000... per square foot.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

sirred
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sirred »

Reminds me of my brother's old apartment. It was a shack at the edge of town about the size of two parking spaces side by side. As I recall it was the bare minimum space that the city declares as a habitable living space for one. Granted, there are places in the world where whole families live in something like that.
In every U.S. presidential election between 1976 and 2004, the Republican nominee for president or for vice president was either a Dole or a Bush.

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

Southern third latitudinally, central third longitudinally of the contiguous USA

A1: Bedroom
A2: Laundry room
A3: Kitchen
A4: Living room
A5: Dining room
A6: Den or lounge
A7: Foyer or entryway (I'm inclined to say entryway. A foyer is an actual room, not just an alcove.)
A8: Master bedroom
A9: Master bathroom
A10: Closet
A11: Bathroom
A12: Garage

B1: Bedroom
B2: Bathroom
B3: Hall (or hallway)
B4: Dining room
B5: Kitchen
B6: Living room
B7: Closet
B8: Stairway to basement IF you can walk in the area the stairs lead to. If you can't, it's a crawl space.
B9: Garage
B10: Den or lounge. (The fact that it is an add-on does not matter.)
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

A1: Bedroom (or spare room if distinction is needed) - sovrum - makuuhuone
A2: Laundry room - if it was it was separate from the house it would be called tvättstuga, as it is now, I don't know - kodinhoitohuone
A3: kitchen - kök - keittiö
A4: Living room - vardagsrum - olohuone
A5: Dining room - matsal? - ruokasali?
A6: Living room - vardagsrum - olohuone
A7: Hall? I'm not sure of the English word - hall - eteinen
A8: Bedroom - sovrum - makuuhuone
A9: Bathroom - badrum - kylpyhuone
A10: Closet - klädkammare - vaatehuone
A11: Bathroom (or toilet if the distinction is needed) - toa(lett) - vessa
A12: Garage - garage - autotalli

B1: Bedroom - sovrum - makuuhuone
B2: Bathroom/toilet - toa(lett) - vessa
B3: Corridor (I'd like to change this to hallway after reading your answers) - korridor - käytävä
B4: I would count this and B4 as the same room if there's no wall separating them
B5: Kitchen - kök - keittiö
B6: Living room - vardagsrum - olohuone
B7: Closet - klädkammare - vaatehuone
B8: Basement - källare - kellari
B9: Garage - garage - autotalli
B10: Living room - vardagsrum - olohuone

Small etymology:
sovrum = sleeping room
tvättstuga = laundry cabin
vardagsrum = weekday (as opposed to weekend or holiday) room
matsal = food hall
badrum = bath room
klädkammare = clothes chamber

makuuhuone = lying room
kodinhoitohuone = home care taking room
keittiö = place where you boil
olohuone = being room
ruokasali = food hall
eteinen = thing that is in the front
kylpyhuone = bath room
vaatehuone = clothes room
vessa < WC
autotalli = car stable
käytävä = thing that you can walk back and forth on
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

linguofreak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by linguofreak »

Viktor77 wrote:Oh, please post your location, sorry.

I'm surprised that out of the Americans here, only two have so far used family room to describe B10, interesting. Maybe family room is a kind of midwestern regional thing.
Also, different families, or even the same family at a different time, might give it different names according to the purpose they're using it for. We use what was conceived by the builder as a formal dining room as an office/den.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

It's funny, I've seen "den" in American books and occasionally online, but never realized what kind of a room it actually meant until now. All I can ask upon learning what it is, is, "What's the point?" :?

linguofreak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by linguofreak »

Soap wrote:Im lower middle class and living in a house like that right now. Come to rural New England where housing is cheap because people dont wanna live in the countryside and deal with the six months of snow.

Also there are places with housing much cheaper than here. My aunt and uncle in Minnesota got a property about 40 acres big with a large spacious house with a barn for $11,900. (But no indoor plumbing! They had to build that.)
Yup, never underestimate what differences in the housing market between different locations can do to the type of house a lower-middle-classer can get. We're currently in a house about halfway between A and B (by a pure subjective estimate) that we never could normally have afforded. However, 20 years ago or so we bought a house very much like B, which skyrocketed in value with the local housing market. When we sold it 10 years later and moved here, the less inflated housing market here allowed us to buy our current house for less than we'd sold our first one.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Astraios wrote:It's funny, I've seen "den" in American books and occasionally online, but never realized what kind of a room it actually meant until now. All I can ask upon learning what it is, is, "What's the point?" :?
When I see it I think of a cosy playroom.

Incidentally, until I was 3 we lived in a flat with a second front room (incidentally, "front room" is often a synonym for "living room" here) that we called "Edward's Room", so named because my parents' friend Edward used to be our flatmate, but by the time I was old enough to remember, he'd left and it was some kind of weird artifact of times gone by. We used it as a sort of playroom.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Our playroom was the dining room. I remember it being extremely exciting whenever my parents held a dinner party, because all the toys had to come into my bedroom for the day, and if we wanted to go into the kitchen (which we'd normally have accessed through the playroom), we had to use the door under the stairs (which went from an alcove under the stairs through to the back of the kitchen, bypassing the playroom completely). Looking back I imagine it was a sort of "servant's entrance", but to me it was just exciting because we were never normally allowed to go that way. Yes, I grew up in a posh house. No, I am not a "rich kid".

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

@Salmoneus: Whoa, that's incredible. Who lives in such tiny apartments?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

MisterBernie wrote: Standard-ish German, I guess:
Yeah, I'd use mostly the same words (I grew up in Ostfriesland and have also been living many year in the Rhine area, where I also was born). A few comments:
MisterBernie wrote: A4: Wohnzimmer
A6: …zweites Wohnzimmer? Fernsehzimmer?
In rural Northern Germany, people used to have two living rooms - a formal one with "good" furnnture that was only used for special occasions (special guests, Christmas evening etc.) called "(gute) Stube", with the second one used to read or watch TV or to receive "normal" guests (e.g. the neighbour comimg over for a coffee and a chat), which was called "Wohnzimmer" or "Fernsehzimmer". I can't say how much this distinction ist still maintained today.
A7: Eingang
I use "Flur", I've also encountered "Diele"; both imply that the room is longer than wide, otherwise I'd say "Vorraum".
A10: (begehbare) Garderobe begehbarer Kleiderschrank (what weird interference was that)
This is something I mostly know from American films - it's not usually a feature of German houses.
A11: Bad
Or "Gästetoilette".
B5: Küche
alternatively: B4+B5 = Essküche
Yes, or "Wohnküche"-
B8: häää?
Viktor meint den Keller.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

In (colloquial) Slovene: (dispelling the Germanic-centricity)

A1: soba ('room') or spalnica
A2: 'utility' [ju'tiliti] (yup, it's a loanword all right!)
A3: kuhinja
A4: dnevna soba
A5: jedilnica
A6: ??? (kabinet, maybe)
A7: veža or vetrolov (literally 'wind-catcher') (or predsoba, but this is less common)
A8: spalnica
A9: kopalnica
A10: ??? (shramba, maybe, but that's more like 'pantry')
A11: kopalnica or stranišče (but you only use stranišče if there's no shower/bath)
A12: garaža

B3: hodnik
B8: klet

linguofreak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by linguofreak »

Denver CO / Dallas TX

A2: Laundry Room
A4: Living Room
A5: (Formal) Dining Room / Office (we converted our formal dining room into an office)
A6: Den / Office / Second Living Room (depending on exactly how it has been furnished. In a house providing such a room, my family would be likely to stick our computers in there and use it as an office)
A7: Foyer / Entryway / Front Hall, depending on design
A8: Master Bedroom
A9: Master Bath(room)
A10: Walk-in-closet
A12: Garage /g@rQZ/

B3: Hallway
B4 and B5 together: Kitchen
B6: Living Room
B8: Basement
B10: Den / Office / Second Living Room

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Cathbad wrote:A7: veža or vetrolov (literally 'wind-catcher') (or predsoba, but this is less common)
Huh, there's a Finnish word, tuulikaappi (wind closet), which is used about a vestibule that's separated from the rest of the house by a door.
My most recent quiz:

Halian
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Halian »

Orlando, Florida, USA

A1. Bedroom
A2. Laundry room
A3. Kitchen
A4. Living room
A5. Dining room
A6. Den or rec room
A7. Foyer
A8. Master bedroom
A9. Master bathroom
A10. Walk-in closet
A11. Bathroom
A12. Garage

B1. Bedroom
B2. Bathroom
B3. Hallway
B4. Dining room
B5. Kitchen
B6. Living room
B7. Closet
B8. Basement
B9. Garage
B10. Den
Safiria | Hoenn
Nort, on Skype, wrote:If you can't give a blowjob to a dragon, you can't drink vodka.

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

A1: Bedroom. Guest room, if only guests sleep there.
A2: Laundry room. Washing room. Washroom.
A3: Kitchen.
A4: Living room. Family room. (Recreation room if it's below ground...)
A5: Dining room.
A6: Rec room? (I've really never seen one of these above ground!)
A7: Entrance hall. Entrance room. Not sure.
A8: Bedroom. Master Bedroom.
A9: Master Bathroom. Bathroom.
A10: Closet. Master Closet. Walk-in Closet. (It'd be a Linen Closet, if it wasn't holding clothes.)
A11: Bathroom.

B2: Bathroom.
B3: Hallway.
B4: Dining room.
B5: Kitchen.
B6: Living room.
B7: Walk-in Closet.
B8: Stairs. :?
B9: Garage.
B10: Living room. If B6 is still the living room, this is the Rec room.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Qwynegold wrote:
Cathbad wrote:A7: veža or vetrolov (literally 'wind-catcher') (or predsoba, but this is less common)
Huh, there's a Finnish word, tuulikaappi (wind closet), which is used about a vestibule that's separated from the rest of the house by a door.
Germanesque calque maybe? I wouldn't be surprised (around 50% of lexical items in Slovene are calques from German).

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

hwhatting wrote:In rural Northern Germany, people used to have two living rooms - a formal one with "good" furnnture that was only used for special occasions (special guests, Christmas evening etc.) called "(gute) Stube", with the second one used to read or watch TV or to receive "normal" guests (e.g. the neighbour comimg over for a coffee and a chat), which was called "Wohnzimmer" or "Fernsehzimmer". I can't say how much this distinction ist still maintained today.
Ah yes, the gute Stube... I come from a line of apartment-dwellers :P
I use "Flur", I've also encountered "Diele"; both imply that the room is longer than wide, otherwise I'd say "Vorraum".
Yeah, on the plan, it looks to short for me to be comfortable calling it Flur/Diele (I call ours 'Vorzimmer', which I think is my Austrian origin coming through. It's a typical Flur/Diele-deal (lolpun)).
This is something I mostly know from American films - it's not usually a feature of German houses.
I think that's where the interference came from - wardrobe/Garderobe, because yeah, Einbaukleiderschränke are common-ish, but not whole rooms for that.
Or "Gästetoilette".
Even if there's a shower in there? (as it says A11: Room with toilet/shower). Once there's both, it can only be a Bad for me.
Viktor meint den Keller.
Hmm, das ungefinischte Areal brachte mich leicht aus dem Konzept. I was thinking more "crawlspace", for which I can't think of a proper German term.
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Sevly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Sevly »

A1 Bedroom
A2 Laundry Room
A3 Kitchen
A4 Living Room
A5 Dining Room
A6 (Small) Den (Large) Bonus Room, Extra Room, Family Room
A7 (Formal) Foyer (Informal) Entranceway
A8 Master Bedroom
A9 Full Bathroom
A10 Walk-in Closet
A11 Half Bathroom
A12 Garage

B1 Bedroom
B2 Full Bathroom
B3 Hallway
B4 (part of Kitchen)
B5 Kitchen
B6 Living Room
B7 Closet
B8 (If primarily for storage) Cellar (if meant to be later developed) Unfinished Basement
B9 Garage
B10 Family Room? Entertainment Room? (if glass or sunroof) Sunroom

The primary sitting or entertainment area of a house, usually on the first floor, I would definitely call Living Room. A second similar room on another floor might be a Family Room or, especially if larger than the primary room, a Great Room. In a lot of plans for new houses here you'll see the term Bonus Room, which is used when there are two layouts which are identical except for the inclusion of an additional living or workspace area on the more expensive one.

For B4, most people, including myself, tend to think of it as just part of the kitchen, but the term you tend to see on plans is Nook. This is used even when there's no actual outcropping that 'nook' is usually associated with.

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

I grew up and have lived most of my life in western Pennsylvania.

A2: Laundry(room) - personally I've never had one of these be separate.
A4: Living room
A5: Not a room; "dining area", but it needs walls to be a room
A6: Dunno. Den, maybe? If I lived there I'm sure I and the other residents would come up with some word for it.
A7: Not a room. Foyer, or more likely entry(way).
A8: (Master) bedroom. This, along with 9 and 10, would be the "master suite".
A9: (Master) bathroom
A10: Walk-in closet.
A12: Garage

B3: Hall(way). It's not a "room" per se.
B4, B5: If part of the floor's tiled or whatnot, that would be the kitchen, and the rest is the dining area. Has no walls, thus not a "room".
B6: Living room
B8: Cellar steps
B10: Another case where resident opinions would name it. It'd probably end up being called the family room, and seen as more casual.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Cathbad wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
Germanesque calque maybe? I wouldn't be surprised (around 50% of lexical items in Slovene are calques from German).
I don't know, it could be an independently coined word. The reason for building that was that in the old times when people weren't so good at constructing houses, so the house would get really cold without that thing. So it's like a buffert zone. My sister complains that they still build those in Finland even though there really isn't any need with modern construction standards.
My most recent quiz:

Peacekeeper
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Peacekeeper »

Here's my non-native English and standard Swedish (I hope ;))

A1: Bedroom / Sovrum
A2: Laundry room / Tvättstuga
A3: Kitchen / Kök
A4: Living room / Vardagsrum
A5: Dining room / Matsal (if used frequently) or Finrum (if only used for formal dining)
A6: Sitting room / Vardagsrum
A7: Foyer / Hall
A8: (Master) Bedroom / Sovrum
A9: (Master) Bathroom / Badrum
A10: (Walk-in) Closet / Garderob
A11: Bathroom / Badrum (Should the room lack a shower, however, I would referr to it as a "toalett" in Swedish)
A12: Garage / Garage

B1: Bedroom / Sovrum
B2: Bathroom / Badrum
B3: Hallway / Hall
B4: Kitchen / Kök (If there's no wall separating the dining area from the kitchen, I see it as being part of the kitchen)
B5: Kitchen / Kök
B6: Living room / Vardagsrum
B7: Closet / Garderob
B8: Basement / Källare (Why would you build a house with an unfinished basement though? Seems kinda sloppy)
B9: Garage / Garage

Qwynegold wrote:B7: Closet - klädkammare - vaatehuone
Now that you mention it, I remember using the word "klädkammare" when I was a kid. I don't think I've heard it in years though.
[size=200]L・ロビン・ニルソン[/size]

[url]http://www.politicalcompass.org[/url]
[b]Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.21[/b]

tubragg
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tubragg »

Peacekeeper wrote: B7: Closet / Garderob
Qwynegold wrote:B7: Closet - klädkammare - vaatehuone
Now that you mention it, I remember using the word "klädkammare" when I was a kid. I don't think I've heard it in years though.
To me, "klädkammare" is something you can walk into, "garderob" is not. I don't hear the former much either, mostly because most people I know don't have one. :wink:

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

MisterBernie wrote:Yeah, on the plan, it looks to short for me to be comfortable calling it Flur/Diele (I call ours 'Vorzimmer', which I think is my Austrian origin coming through. It's a typical Flur/Diele-deal (lolpun)).
IMD, as in "Germany German", Vorzimmer is "anteroom" - something you would normally find in office buildings and similar settings. So I've learned a new difference between the Austrian snd the German standards. Where in Austria are you from?
Or "Gästetoilette".
Even if there's a shower in there? (as it says A11: Room with toilet/shower). Once there's both, it can only be a Bad for me.
Tricky - when I grew up, that kind of thing was extremely rare, the usual set-up was (and still is in most German houses I know) for one bathroom and an extra toilet with a sink for washing your hands somewhere near the entrance door. Personally, I still call a toilet with a shower but no bathtube Gästetoilette if it's in that location and if it's what a visitor would be directed to, but that may be my personal usage,
Viktor meint den Keller.
Hmm, das ungefinischte Areal brachte mich leicht aus dem Konzept. I was thinking more "crawlspace", for which I can't think of a proper German term.
Me neither.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

hwhatting wrote:IMD, as in "Germany German", Vorzimmer is "anteroom" - something you would normally find in office buildings and similar settings. So I've learned a new difference between the Austrian snd the German standards. Where in Austria are you from?
A village near Vienna, but on the Lower Austrian side of things. My mother is from close the Burgenland border, but we moved to Munich when I was 5, so I am not entirely sure which dialect and accent I owe which part of my idiolect exactly.
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One