How do you pronounce "Wikipedia"?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: How do you pronounce "Wikipedia"?

Post by alice »

Guitarplayer wrote:
Bob Johnson wrote:
Nancy Blackett wrote:Or /sai."te.S@n "ni.d@d/.[citation needed]
Is this in accordance to the LORD's will, though?
Of course.
TaylorS wrote:
Nancy Blackett wrote:For what it's worth, /wI.ki."pi.djæ/.
/æ/ in an unstressed syllable? Which British dialect is this?
Mine!
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Travis B. wrote:
TaylorS wrote:
Probably something influenced by (or a dialect of) Scots (as Scottish English in reality these days tends to form a gradual continuum off into Scots proper, or rather, what had once been historically called Scots now is more likely to be called Scottish English even if it has changed far less than the name change would imply). Scots dialects are kind of funny about their unstressed final vowels, commonly written -ae (which vary wildly from dialect to dialect rather than typically being reduced towards schwas as they generally do in English).
the ae is generally assumed to be [e], though, rather than [æ] - i think you're confusing visually similar letters...

also geoff doesn't really have a scottish accent, if my memory is anything to go by. it's been a few years.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

finlay wrote:
Travis B. wrote:
TaylorS wrote:
Probably something influenced by (or a dialect of) Scots (as Scottish English in reality these days tends to form a gradual continuum off into Scots proper, or rather, what had once been historically called Scots now is more likely to be called Scottish English even if it has changed far less than the name change would imply). Scots dialects are kind of funny about their unstressed final vowels, commonly written -ae (which vary wildly from dialect to dialect rather than typically being reduced towards schwas as they generally do in English).
the ae is generally assumed to be [e], though, rather than [æ] - i think you're confusing visually similar letters...

also geoff doesn't really have a scottish accent, if my memory is anything to go by. it's been a few years.
I know it is stereotypically [e], but actually varies quite a bit in actual Scots dialects, from what I know (I wasn't confusing the ae with [æ] visually there), so I was just guessing off the top of my head that that could potentially be a factor.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

it's also not a place you'd find such things

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

finlay wrote:it's also not a place you'd find such things
I know, I was just guessing wildly.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

finlay wrote:also geoff doesn't really have a scottish accent, if my memory is anything to go by. it's been a few years.
It sounds Scottish to many persons of English origin, but it seems to defy classification.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I get constantly tired of always having to say "Yes, I know I don't have a strong or obvious Scottish accent". One (English) guy once described it as "RP with rhoticity", and I've had people think I'm from the West Country for the same reason.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

finlay wrote:I get constantly tired of always having to say "Yes, I know I don't have a strong or obvious Scottish accent". One (English) guy once described it as "RP with rhoticity", and I've had people think I'm from the West Country for the same reason.
So phonologically more like RP than, say, Standard Scottish English then?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Who knows... I would probably call it SSE myself. It's kind of mixed though – eg I don't have a FOOT/GOOSE merger but I do have a TRAP/BATH/PALM merger. (in general)

The other thing is that I think that when people hear that I'm from Scotland they suddenly expect me to have a strong Glaswegian accent, which is very different from a mild Edinburgh accent.

Some people hear the Scottishness instantly, to be fair, although they tend to be a bit more clued-up on the differences. At the end of the day, it's not an accent I strive towards having, so it's no wonder my accent's gravitated away from it over the years...

(it's that and gayness – some people notice instantly and others need to be told.... which in this case I hate doing)

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Travis B. wrote:
TaylorS wrote:
Travis B. wrote:
TaylorS wrote:[ˌwɪgɨ̈ˈpʰiɾjə]

Yes, I have the same lentition as Travis.
You take it a step further and actually voice your /k/ there? Heh. (While I do sometimes make it so that /g/ and /k/, or /b/ and /p/, are indistinguishable in these positions aside from vowel length, it is always in favor of merging to voiceless lenis realizations rather than to voiced ones.)
Yup, I voice it. There seems to be a consistent sound change here of /p k/ to in the same environment intervocalic flapping occurs.

You do maintain a contrast in these cases by contrasting /p/ from /b/ as versus [β] and /k/ from /ɡ/ as [ɡ] versus [ɣ], without any vowel length contrast, from what I remember you as having said, right?
Yup.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

TaylorS wrote:
Travis B. wrote:
TaylorS wrote:
Travis B. wrote:
TaylorS wrote:[ˌwɪgɨ̈ˈpʰiɾjə]

Yes, I have the same lentition as Travis.
You take it a step further and actually voice your /k/ there? Heh. (While I do sometimes make it so that /g/ and /k/, or /b/ and /p/, are indistinguishable in these positions aside from vowel length, it is always in favor of merging to voiceless lenis realizations rather than to voiced ones.)
Yup, I voice it. There seems to be a consistent sound change here of /p k/ to in the same environment intervocalic flapping occurs.

You do maintain a contrast in these cases by contrasting /p/ from /b/ as versus [β] and /k/ from /ɡ/ as [ɡ] versus [ɣ], without any vowel length contrast, from what I remember you as having said, right?
Yup.

This kind of thing is why we need better surveying of what is actually going on in NAE dialects rather than just the typical old Labovian vowel isogloss mapping alone...

Taernsietr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Taernsietr »

[wɪk.ˈpɛ.dʒa] in Portuguese, [wɪk̚.ˈpʰi.ɾjæ] in English (yes, I have a retarded accent. Also I don't know if [k̚] is actually [ʔ]).

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Hmm. Haven't done more than scroll through the thread, but it looks like there's no predictable regional variation in the second vowel, except that [ə] seems to only occur there in America.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Why does the OP want to know this?
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Someone bitched me out for having instead of [@] for the second vowel and I got curious.

AnTeallach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by AnTeallach »

Travis B. wrote:This kind of thing is why we need better surveying of what is actually going on in NAE dialects rather than just the typical old Labovian vowel isogloss mapping alone...
At least your side of the Atlantic has "Labovian vowel isogloss mapping".

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Nortaneous wrote:Someone bitched me out for having instead of [@] for the second vowel and I got curious.

whut

i'm genuinely surprised not more people have [wɪki] there, and at the amount of people who have [wɪkɪ] or [wɪkə]... I suppose it's because it's part of a compound though (it's thrown my own judgement into doubt, too...). How would you pronounce just the word "wiki" on its own?

Lleu
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lleu »

finlay wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:Someone bitched me out for having instead of [@] for the second vowel and I got curious.

whut

i'm genuinely surprised not more people have [wɪki] there, and at the amount of people who have [wɪkɪ] or [wɪkə]... I suppose it's because it's part of a compound though (it's thrown my own judgement into doubt, too...). How would you pronounce just the word "wiki" on its own?

I have [wIkI"pidi@], but ["wIki].
agus tha mo chluasan eòlach air a’ mhac-talla fhathast / às dèidh dhomh dùsgadh
(mona nicleòid wagner, “fo shneachd”)

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

finlay wrote:i'm genuinely surprised not more people have [wɪki] there, and at the amount of people who have [wɪkɪ] or [wɪkə]... I suppose it's because it's part of a compound though (it's thrown my own judgement into doubt, too...). How would you pronounce just the word "wiki" on its own?
/ˈwɪki/ (i.e. wick-y not wicca) but /ˌwɪkəˈpiːdiə/. It's a stress-related effect, I think.

(Normally I'd do phonetics but guh not enough caffeine.)

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Arunaza wrote:I have [wIkI"pidi@], but ["wIki].
makes sense

Bedelato
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bedelato »

/ˈwɪ.kɪˈpi.di.ə/ [ˈwɪkɪ̈ˈpʰiˑɾɨˌəˑ],
/ˈwɪ.ki/ [ˈwɪkɨ]
At, casteda dus des ometh coisen at tusta o diédem thum čisbugan. Ai, thiosa če sane búem mos sil, ne?
Also, I broke all your metal ropes and used them to feed the cheeseburgers. Yes, today just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

It's [wiki'pedʲɐ] when I spoke my particular English. In my dialect of Catalan, [biki'pɛdʲɐ].
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

AnTeallach wrote:
Travis B. wrote:This kind of thing is why we need better surveying of what is actually going on in NAE dialects rather than just the typical old Labovian vowel isogloss mapping alone...
It was my understanding that British dialects are fairly well documented compared to most American ones.

AnTeallach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by AnTeallach »

TaylorS wrote:
AnTeallach wrote:
It was my understanding that British dialects are fairly well documented compared to most American ones.
Sort of. Traditional rural dialects are very well documented, thanks to the Survey of English Dialects, but you won't find many people in England who actually speak like that. (The survery was largely done in the 1950s, and they deliberately chose older working-class men who hadn't moved around much.)

There are a number of studies of specific local dialects (Scouse is quite well-documented, for example, and there's been quite a lot of study in the South-East) but I'm not aware of anything like Labov's Atlas of North American English. For example, I don't think we have anything newer on the BATH isogloss than what the SED says, and while that's probably still quite accurate in that case it'd be nice to have something more up-to-date.

As for Finlay's "wiki" question, for me it's a typical HAPPY word: [ɪ] before consonants, before vowels.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

[wɪkipidʲə]
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró