English /r/

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: English /r/

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

I have a postalveolarized velar approximant with a bit of sulcalization...
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Davoush wrote:
YngNghymru wrote:
äreo wrote:The first one is found idiosyncratically throughout the English-speaking world AFAIK. I've heard it from kids here and in Texas - it's generally considered a speech defect.
Yeah - it's very much a dialectal feature of the Southeast here, made famous by Johnathan Ross (or 'Wossy') though.
I genuinely thought Jonathan Ross had some sort of speech impediment, but I've been hearing this type of /r/ a lot recently.
I think Ross does have a speech impediment of some description but plays it up because it's very much his trademark. But there are plenty of people out there who wouldn't be considered to have a speech impediment who nevertheless have [ʋ].

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

For what it's worth, I remember a strip in Viz from long ago in which a character intended to be considered posh said "teyibly" for "terribly" - implying that his characteristic-of-part-of-the-upper-class /r/ had a vaguely palatal realisation.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

It seems we really cannot sum up /r/ in English well at all except that it isn't a velar or uvular fricative - heh.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Even then, they did find [ʁ] in the speech of older rural males in the northeast of England when they did the Survey of English Dialects. It's known as a Northumberland, or County Durham (I forget which), burr – I don't know if it's still attested in anyone's speech or anything, though.
Wikipedia article 'Pitmatic' wrote:Traditionally, pitmatic, together with some rural Northumbrian communities including Rothbury, used a guttural R. This is now less frequently heard; since the closure of the area's deep mines, many younger people speak in local ways that do not usually include this characteristic.[citation needed] The guttural r sound can, however, still sometimes be detected, especially amongst elderly populations in more rural areas.
Wikipedia article 'Guttural R' wrote:English

Speakers of the traditional English dialect of Northumberland and County Durham used a uvular r known as the "Northumbrian burr".[8][9][10] However, this is no longer used by most contemporary speakers, who generally realise /r/ as an alveolar approximant, [ɹʷ], in common with other varieties spoken in the Anglosphere.[11][12]
Last edited by finlay on Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Is the English /r/ this: [ɹ̠ˤʷ]?
:D
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Davoush
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Davoush »

finlay wrote:Even then, they did find [ʁ] in the speech of older rural males in the northeast of England when they did the Survey of English Dialects. It's known as a Northumberland, or County Durham (I forget which), burr – I don't know if it's still attested in anyone's speech or anything, though.
Wikipedia article 'Pitmatic' wrote:Traditionally, pitmatic, together with some rural Northumbrian communities including Rothbury, used a guttural R. This is now less frequently heard; since the closure of the area's deep mines, many younger people speak in local ways that do not usually include this characteristic.[citation needed] The guttural r sound can, however, still sometimes be detected, especially amongst elderly populations in more rural areas.
If anyone wants to hear an example of the Northumbrian burr look on here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/routesofeng ... e3_1.shtml

It's REALLY weird

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

So then, English /r/ can really be just about anything vaguely rhotic-ish - lol.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Aiďos wrote:I have a postalveolarized velar approximant with a bit of sulcalization...
I read that as your /r/ being succulent...

As far as I can tell, it seems to be something in the neighborhood of [ɹʷ] for me. It doesn't seem to be retroflex, though it could be something else...
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Nortaneous wrote:I think there are several types of r-sounds in English:
  1. Fully labiodental [ʋ]. Appears in some London(?) dialects.
  2. Labiodentalized postalveolar-prevelar [ɰ̟͡ɹ̻̠ᶹ], with the labiodental articulation occasionally approaching a full fricative. (I think this is most likely before /i/, but I'm not sure.) Heard in Maryland, even from speakers who attempt to maintain GA, so it's not very marked, if at all. Might be slightly pharyngealized.
  3. Prevelar [ɨ̯]. Occasionally labiodentalized. Might be characteristic of Irish English; Fionn Regan has it.
  4. Slightly labialized and pharyngealized postalveolar-postvelar [ʁ̟̹͡ɹ̻̠ˤ]. This is what I have most of the time.
  5. Postalveolar-pharyngeal [ʁ̠͡ɹ̺̠]. I think I've heard this referred to as characteristic of Texas, but the singer for Those Poor Bastards has it, and I think he's from Wisconsin.
There might be more information somewhere on Luciano Canepari's site, but I'm not sure how reliable it would be.
I have #4, with inconsistent coronal articulation.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Some mix between [ɹ] and [r], which I don't know the correct symbol for, that can be heard in certain English dialects, of which I don't know the names. I'm not native, though.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Davoush wrote:
finlay wrote:If anyone wants to hear an example of the Northumbrian burr look on here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/routesofeng ... e3_1.shtml
[dʌʁəm], interesting. Though it sounds more approximantish than German [ʁ] to me, at least in that one recording.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Davoush wrote:
finlay wrote:Even then, they did find [ʁ] in the speech of older rural males in the northeast of England when they did the Survey of English Dialects. It's known as a Northumberland, or County Durham (I forget which), burr – I don't know if it's still attested in anyone's speech or anything, though.
If anyone wants to hear an example of the Northumbrian burr look on here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/routesofeng ... e3_1.shtml

It's REALLY weird
My computer seems to be unable to load this file. Does anybody know where else can I find it?
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

The direct link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/routesofeng ... _burr1.ram (it's a Real Audio file, might need VLC or Real Alternative to play it if you don't use/trust/like Real Player. Totem can play it on Linux.)

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

I like the sound of the burr. It's very nice.
vec

Zumir
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zumir »

I can't play the file :( .
Zim ho Xsárnicja žovnyce.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Zumir wrote:I can't play the file :( .
Guitarplayer, 2 posts above Zumir's wrote:The direct link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/routesofeng ... _burr1.ram (it's a Real Audio file, might need VLC or Real Alternative to play it if you don't use/trust/like Real Player. Totem can play it on Linux.)
Why do people never read what's more or less directly above their posts :|

Mbwa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mbwa »

well... I tried both links and got a message that the file could not be found or something like that.
p_>-ts_>k_>-k_>k_>-pSSSSS

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

I managed to get VLC to play the one with the burr example but none of the others. They just wouldn't play. RealAudio sucks.
vec

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Pretty standard American bunched-R here. There's three articulatory actions in the onset allophone: velar, labiodental, and pharyngeal approximants that all go off simultaneously, in that order of acoustic prominence (i.e. velar is the most prominent part of it). What isn't involved is any kind of coronal articulation, quite the reverse - the tongue tip is actively pulled back away from the alveolar region, as part of the bunching motion. The coda allophone has stronger pharyngealization and is more vocalic in nature but is otherwise similar.

The IPA does not have a dedicated symbol for this pharyngealized labiodentalized velar approximant, but it would make life slightly easier if it did. :(

Bedelato
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bedelato »

Broadly speaking, my /r/ is realized as a retroflex [ɻ]. Word-initially it's pretty much just that. In postvocalic positions it tends to be velarized to something like [ɻˠ]~[ɹˠ]; it's also pharyngealized after back vowels only.

It's occasionally labialized in word-initial clusters, but there's obviously more to it, and as tempted as I am to dismiss it as free variation or even observer's paradox, meh. Don't wanna give up just yet.

I just now (edit July 7, 2011 2:53 pm) also noticed occasional velarization word-initially. Same doubts as before though.
At, casteda dus des ometh coisen at tusta o diédem thum čisbugan. Ai, thiosa če sane búem mos sil, ne?
Also, I broke all your metal ropes and used them to feed the cheeseburgers. Yes, today just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Alces
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Alces »

My r is a strongly labialised postalveolar approximant which I'd normally write ɹ̠ʷ, but β̞͡ɹ̠ shows just how labialised it is better (That β is supposed to have the down-tack below it by the way; I'm using it because there is no velar articulation involved, as far as I can tell, so w wouldn't be totally accurate).

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Mbwa wrote:I don't think this has been discussed in depth recently. Anyway, the English /r/ is kinda weird. It's usually referred to as an alveolar approximant (except I think in Scotland /r/ can be realized as a flap most of the time?), but there's other stuff going on with it that varies a lot. Catford says that it can have a retroflex articulation, "slight deep pharyngalization," and some sort of uvular thing along with that. I've also heard that English /r/ sometimes has a degree of labialization.

What can you guys say about the /r/ in your dialects? My /r/, I'm pretty sure, contains some labialization, like English /S/ can as well. I forget the term, but I recall reading that in this case the labialization is not exactly full rounding of the lips, more like compression or something like that. I can also feel some dorsal thing going on with my /r/ but I'd have a hard time pin-pointing it.
Quite obviously God intended English's /r/ phoneme to be pronounced [r\`], a retroflex approximant, the way I pronounce it. Clearly all other pronunciations (including not pronouncing it at all) are wrong, debased, fallen away from the true path.

:mrgreen: