Polyglottal Telephone 14

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Polyglottal Telephone 14

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Serafín wrote:I think we should add a slogan to the polyglottal telephones: if something doesn't seem to make sense, most likely it absolutely makes no sense.
So how's your translation going?
Attention, je pelote !

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Sent.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Great. But since you were 6 days late I've had to shunt everyone's deadlines back.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

I know. =/

mouse
Sanci
Sanci

Post by mouse »

I think I can actually make sense of this, but I'm stuck between translating it literally and translating it to make more sense. Just adding and removing some pronouns and changing the valency of some verbs, and changing where phrases begin and end, but I don't really know if I want to do that since it seems less like translating and more like writing a piece based on that one...
http://nomadicvillage.wordpress.com/

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

tsulaokiw wrote:I think I can actually make sense of this, but I'm stuck between translating it literally and translating it to make more sense. Just adding and removing some pronouns and changing the valency of some verbs, and changing where phrases begin and end, but I don't really know if I want to do that since it seems less like translating and more like writing a piece based on that one...
Pick a coin, choose what option goes on what side, throw it, there's your decision. At this point the text is probably so altered it might not even matter anymore.

mouse
Sanci
Sanci

Post by mouse »

Ok, so I retract my statement, I couldn't make sense of it, haha.
In retrospect translating from Dutch probably wasn't that good an idea. Although I really want to put from: Indonesian next time.
It's sent onwards now, last one for our team.
http://nomadicvillage.wordpress.com/

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

I think you should translate what is there, no more, no less. I got several sentences with obvious misuses of words and one sentence that lacked a subject, but I just went with it and had it make just as little sense in French.
Attention, je pelote !

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

tsulaokiw wrote:Ok, so I retract my statement, I couldn't make sense of it, haha.
In retrospect translating from Dutch probably wasn't that good an idea. Although I really want to put from: Indonesian next time.
Of course, the problem then is that someone also has to put "To Indonesian" as one of their languages. You have to be paired, essentially.

Anyway, team B is almost finished. Oooh, exciting! Come on team A!!! :P

merijn
Lebom
Lebom

Post by merijn »

I sort of reconstructed it a tiny bit. For instance, my predecessor had translated at one point the demonstrative that with dat, which in Afrikaans is only a translation of the the complementizer that. Since in Dutch dat is also a demonstrative, just like in English, I didn't even notice it immediately.
tsulaokiw wrote:Ok, so I retract my statement, I couldn't make sense of it, haha.
I am not sure if it is your Dutch; it is incomprehensible. Whenever I read the first sentence, I don't know if I must laugh or cry.

Ossicone
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ossicone »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:I think you should translate what is there, no more, no less. I got several sentences with obvious misuses of words and one sentence that lacked a subject, but I just went with it and had it make just as little sense in French.
Ugh, I kept wanting to pro-drop Swedish. And for there to be an imperfect. And to know what the hell was going.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

My thing is I often don't know how to effectively translate something deliberately ungrammatically, so I end up doing it as grammatically as I possibly can and will generally at least subconsciously iron out some of the irregularities...

tubragg
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tubragg »

Mmm, tricky question. There's only so much mangling you can translate before you turn a translation language X -> language Y into jibberish -> jibberish. I see no point in preserving obvious typos, but when a presumed error changes the meaning or flavor of the text I think you should still be restrictive in "correcting" it.

I don't think I will have to wrestle much with this issue when my turn comes, though. Most likely I will just attribute any grammatical strangeness to my own ineptitude in German and try to make it into reasonably grammatical English. You need to know the rules to know when to break them...

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Yay, I've finally received the text!
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Done and sent. Heh, the first time I read the text I received, I somehow missed the letter R throughout the first paragraph, turning those animals into completely different animals.

Btw, isn't this Polyglottal Telephone 15 rather than 14?
My most recent quiz:

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

If you can find the real 14th game, sure...

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Serafín wrote:If you can find the real 14th game, sure...
I don't know about another game, but I joined during the 12th. So what am I missing?

EDIT:

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE KNEEQUICKIE?!
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Mr. Z wrote:
I don't know about another game, but I joined during the 12th. So what am I missing?
My point here is that this is indeed the 14th iteration of the game.
EDIT:

It died.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Serafín wrote:
Mr. Z wrote:
My point here is that this is indeed the 14th iteration of the game.
EDIT:

It died.
Why? Is it a random thing? Has this been going on for a while and I haven't noticed?
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

It was this one:
He said calmly: "Oh, it just probably is like that. I were still sleeping, but my girlfriend and her brother have decided to give me a piece of chaotic, worn womens clothes, and they have brought me to their room, and brought me to my own room, so that we would see what I would finally do. This is not a difficult thing, because first I have decided to do things last at school, for example do things like wear wigs. From now on I have a lot of time to do that kind of things."

He said once: "I will not bring my own, you know."

He stopped, slightly confused.

"Where are you?" I know that you are outside.

She saw him, she was also confused. She started to lift her hand to pull him, she just wanted to do an uplifting hair cut mess. She was afraid, so she let her hand give to the hair. She stepped down and lifted her breast once on the spot.

Once again confused, she brings a bottle to her breast and screams: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"
Wasn't it you who organized it?
My most recent quiz:

tubragg
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tubragg »

Qwynegold wrote:
It was this one:
He said calmly: "Oh, it just probably is like that. I were still sleeping, but my girlfriend and her brother have decided to give me a piece of chaotic, worn womens clothes, and they have brought me to their room, and brought me to my own room, so that we would see what I would finally do. This is not a difficult thing, because first I have decided to do things last at school, for example do things like wear wigs. From now on I have a lot of time to do that kind of things."

He said once: "I will not bring my own, you know."

He stopped, slightly confused.

"Where are you?" I know that you are outside.

She saw him, she was also confused. She started to lift her hand to pull him, she just wanted to do an uplifting hair cut mess. She was afraid, so she let her hand give to the hair. She stepped down and lifted her breast once on the spot.

Once again confused, she brings a bottle to her breast and screams: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"
Wasn't it you who organized it?
Its own thread says it was PGT 13, and it was organized by Lyhoko.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Yes... the uplifting hair cut mess...

The one going on now is the 14th, unless someone managed to slip one in between mine and this one when we weren't looking. (Or if you count the conlang version)
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

Lyhoko Leaci wrote:(Or if you count the conlang version)
Nah, the conlang version is in its fourth instance of the current form, and has its own neekwiki page.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Gah, my file names don't match the titles on this forum. I have now two different PGT 14 texts.

Anyway, what's up with tatapyranga. He hasn't replied here or anywhere. Is he translating? Did he get the text?
My most recent quiz:

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Qwynegold wrote:Gah, my file names don't match the titles on this forum. I have now two different PGT 14 texts.
I remember a couple of people putting the wrong labels when they sent their text to me... there was a couple 14's, as well as a 12... I don't remember who actually did it, (It seems like you were one of them though...) as I cleaned out my PM folder, and didn't save the errors to my main file.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."