The Most Batshit Natlang Competition!

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
----
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The Most Batshit Natlang Competition!

Post by ---- »

It makes it hard for me. I suck at distinguishing grammatical tone :cry:
But as for the most batshit I'm gonna have to cast a vote for Georgian as well. I've been trying to learn it, and the grammar, especially the verbs is just ungodly terrible.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

richard1631978 wrote:Gaelic has a similar reputation for being tricky, but I don't know how much that is compaired to other languages.
The worst of it is trying to figure out how to pronounce it. If you don't know the rules, it can be most disconcerting to learn that Fhionnlaigh is actually pronounced /"ju:.L@/, and even if you do, about half the words are exceptions in some way or other. Otherwise it's not too difficult, just unusual in the way it does some things.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Zumir
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zumir »

Nancy Blackett wrote:...Fhionnlaigh is actually pronounced /"ju:.L@/...
Jaw falls off.
I guess I should have seen that coming, considering the pronounciation of Caiomhe, but still. Wow.
Also, number your votes. For realz.
Zim ho Xsárnicja žovnyce.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Zumir wrote:
Nancy Blackett wrote:...Fhionnlaigh is actually pronounced /"ju:.L@/...
Jaw falls off.
I guess I should have seen that coming, considering the pronounciation of Caiomhe, but still. Wow.
Also, number your votes. For realz.
Yes, Celtic spelling (at least for modern Irish) is insane...

I actually feel more comfortable writing Old Irish because for me it seems more regular.

Old Irish: because the verbal system is more complex than any classical language I have ever seen.

(no you number this, I lost track)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Ulan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ulan »

Anyone for Bella Coola/Nuxálk?

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

Bristel wrote:Old Irish: because the verbal system is more complex than any classical language I have ever seen.
From what I've heard about it, I have to agree; I mean, read this. It sounds completely insane (but also awesome).
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Zumir
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zumir »

Bristel wrote:(no you number this, I lost track)
Ulan's vote came 15th. So far the only languages with 2 votes are Nuxalk and Georgian.

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

Ah, if I wasn't clear, I was voting for Old Irish, seconding Bristel's vote.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Does anybody want to put up for candidacy a language about which they know MORE than the opening paragraph of its Wikipedia article? If not, I can just list names as much as you can: Jawara, Hixkaryana, Halkomelem, Dyirbal, Piraha, KEKEKEKEKEKEKEK AREN'T I ADORABLE!
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Oh, right, Piraha exists. Changing my vote to that.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Xephyr wrote:Does anybody want to put up for candidacy a language about which they know MORE than the opening paragraph of its Wikipedia article? If not, I can just list names as much as you can: Jawara, Hixkaryana, Halkomelem, Dyirbal, Piraha, KEKEKEKEKEKEKEK AREN'T I ADORABLE!
That's nice.

I actually know a lot about Old Irish beyond the first paragraph of the Wikipedia page. (which there is not a lot on the page in the first place)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Nancy Blackett wrote:
richard1631978 wrote:Gaelic has a similar reputation for being tricky, but I don't know how much that is compaired to other languages.
The worst of it is trying to figure out how to pronounce it. If you don't know the rules, it can be most disconcerting to learn that Fhionnlaigh is actually pronounced /"ju:.L@/, and even if you do, about half the words are exceptions in some way or other. Otherwise it's not too difficult, just unusual in the way it does some things.
Ironically, the name that Finlay was derived from. However, i think that's a mutated from with the Fh at the beginning, but still.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

richard1631978 wrote:I've often heard that Finnish is very hard to learn, with living in Finland being a must to fully master it. Not sure how true that is.
Maybe, but phonologically, it's way too tame.
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Oh, I'd like to nominate Aymara for having the most fucked up morphophonology. Every time I try to learn Aymara I emerge more than slightly baffled by the damn morphophonology.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

As for orthographic batshitness, one cannot neglect to nominate Tibetan, of course.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Irish orthography really isn't that bad once you know the rules - sure, it's not very intuitive for an English speaker, but it serves Irish's needs pretty well. Gaelic is pretty weird, though. Too many silent consonants.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Acid Badger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Acid Badger »

YngNghymru wrote:Irish orthography really isn't that bad once you know the rules - sure, it's not very intuitive for an English speaker, but it serves Irish's needs pretty well. Gaelic is pretty weird, though. Too many silent consonants.
Seconded, though I am far from knowing how to read Irish. Nevertheless I think that Irish orthography is one example for a Latin based orthography which is adapted very well to the language's phonological system. I mean, you could represent velarization and/or palatalization with diactrics, with cyrillic-style hard/soft-marks etc, but the current system does a better job anyway. Plus, the history-cause flaws like the pronunciation of dh adds a certain coolness to it.

And well, third vote for Georgian here. I read a lot about it, and the verbs seems to be almost completely random. The ergative is used only with the Aorist-tense afaik, and the aorist ist also used as imperative.

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

Georgian isn't really that bad. If you read about the verb system without actually putting it into practice, yes, it does seem absurd. But once I started actively studying the language I learned it is much more manageable. The verbal morphology is not nearly as cut and dry as, say, Spanish, that's for sure, but there are patterns everywhere. Grammars will present every possible morpheme that can occupy every possible slot—but in reality the verbs that deviate most from the norm will either be incredibly rare (and thus don't have anything near the statistical weight they might appear to have) or very common (and thus quickly memorized). As for the consonant clusters that people read about on Wikipedia and freak out about, the same can be said of them. Most syllables are of the shape CV(C) or CCV(C). CCC(+)V syllables aren't terribly common, and when they occur they are usually conform to rules for their shape that makes them pretty manageable. I do admit that the language has a very unusual MSA, but it's pretty easy to get a hang of.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

ná'oolkiłí wrote:Georgian isn't really that bad. If you read about the verb system without actually putting it into practice, yes, it does seem absurd. But once I started actively studying the language I learned it is much more manageable. The verbal morphology is not nearly as cut and dry as, say, Spanish, that's for sure, but there are patterns everywhere. Grammars will present every possible morpheme that can occupy every possible slot—but in reality the verbs that deviate most from the norm will either be incredibly rare (and thus don't have anything near the statistical weight they might appear to have) or very common (and thus quickly memorized). As for the consonant clusters that people read about on Wikipedia and freak out about, the same can be said of them. Most syllables are of the shape CV(C) or CCV(C). CCC(+)V syllables aren't terribly common, and when they occur they are usually conform to rules for their shape that makes them pretty manageable. I do admit that the language has a very unusual MSA, but it's pretty easy to get a hang of.
You do have a lot of very good points there. I can't find any resources though, the few websites I've found have had no vocabulary on them save the small examples to demonstrate how the stuff works and they use some pretty limited and not so useful verbs in the examples.

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

Three (the three?) textbooks are on uz-translations.net. They each have their pros and cons, but they're not bad when used together. I don't think there's a good grammar there, though, unfortunately. As for dictionaries, I have yet to find a good one online =(

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

ná'oolkiłí wrote:Three (the three?) textbooks are on uz-translations.net. They each have their pros and cons, but they're not bad when used together. I don't think there's a good grammar there, though, unfortunately. As for dictionaries, I have yet to find a good one online =(
http://www.armazi.com/georgian/

It's been the standby georgian grammar online for probably a decade, though through several different sites. I don't know about its accuracy as I haven't made myself look through it.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I've been using armazi and it's been very helpful with the grammar but vocabulary is the main thing I'm having difficulty finding. There's just not that many different words on there that I've found. That uz website looks pretty legit though, thanks for that!

chris_notts
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by chris_notts »

I'll nominate Tariana, not because of its phonology but because of the insane amount of stuck it packs into its syntax and morphology. This is mostly thanks to it being an Arawak language heavily influenced by neighbouring Tucano languages, so it ended up with the grammatical categories of both families more or less.
Try the online version of the HaSC sound change applier: http://chrisdb.dyndns-at-home.com/HaSC

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Ulan wrote:Anyone for Bella Coola/Nuxálk?
Oh come on, suck it up.

Salish isn't that bad.

Zumir
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zumir »

[xɬpʼχʷɬtʰɬpʰɬːskʷʰt͡sʼ]. Nothing more needs to be said.