Words that instantly became archaic

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Zaris
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Words that instantly became archaic

Post by Zaris »

yes
lish duper jivvin draeval!

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

Mr. Z wrote:Hebrew has some. For example, like the Arabic telephone example, Hebrew has the term שח רחוק, "sakh rakhok", where שח comes from a root related to conversation and רחוק is "distant". However, the common term is טלפון, "telefon". Another example is the word for stapler: the correct word seems to be מכלב, "makhlev", but the common word is שדכן, "shadkhan", which is also used for "matchmaker".
IIRC, I think it's the same with German, as far as the word for "telephone" is concerned. Originally a Germanic calque was concocted (das Fernsprecher) but it was ignored and people used das Telefon instead.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Sénak wrote:
Mr. Z wrote:Hebrew has some. For example, like the Arabic telephone example, Hebrew has the term שח רחוק, "sakh rakhok", where שח comes from a root related to conversation and רחוק is "distant". However, the common term is טלפון, "telefon". Another example is the word for stapler: the correct word seems to be מכלב, "makhlev", but the common word is שדכן, "shadkhan", which is also used for "matchmaker".
IIRC, I think it's the same with German, as far as the word for "telephone" is concerned. Originally a Germanic calque was concocted (das Fernsprecher) but it was ignored and people used das Telefon instead.
Der Fernsprecher. And it's false to say it was "ignored"; it remains in limited use over a century after it was coined, albeit predominately in officialese.

Kortoso
Niš
Niš

Post by Kortoso »

Interwebs.

Zaris
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Zaris »

Kortoso wrote:Interwebs.
Lets not forget the hyperbolic information super highway
lish duper jivvin draeval!

Lexiconous
Niš
Niš
Location: Lost between Somewhere and Someplace in the NetherSphere

Post by Lexiconous »

Remember when "virtual reality" was a big deal for a year back in the '90s... :roll:
I'd Rather Be Conlanging Than Working

My Conlangs: Aqyari, Senarean, Uxawan